Thread: A couple of questions about "submodding"

Default A couple of questions about "submodding"

Hi there! I hope this is the right place to ask this.

First one: is it possible to change the Base farming level of any settlement I want? Is it easy? If so, how do I do it? I can't find the right ".txt" to do it. I wanted to increase the population needed for Huge Cities, but also letting some historical huge cities to have an easier chance of getting there.

Another one: this might be more difficult. Would it be possible to make a unique unit also an AOR unit? And would it be possible to also make it recruitable out of its usual building? For example: I want to recruit Genoese Crossbowmen as Venice (and as anyone, I guess). And I thought it would be nice to recruit them only in Genoa. But you need Ranges line of buildings to do so. Maybe from a City Hall and the next one? The same way as I can recruit Carroccio Standards. Then I thought about the different sprites and colours for each faction, that there could be problems in battles. And I thought this idea, even if it is doable, is way beyond my abilities. Would that be needed? Is it possible to do this without any experience in modding?

Last one: is there any list out there that shows every AOR unit and where are they recruitable?

Thanks!

Default Re: A couple of questions about "submodding"

first one: descr_settlement_mechanics.xml, look at the bottom for changing population needed for upgrade, dunno about changing stuff for particular cities, heard it's possible though

second: yes you can make any unit recruitable from any building, look in export_descr_buildings.txt, even without reading a guide you can pretty much guess how stuff works, look at an existing aor unit and replicate it, if you make genoese xbows available to venice you might also want to go in export_descr_units.txt too and change the ownership of the unit to include venice aswell

about the color sprites, well i dont know if geneoese xbows have armor colors for other factions too but you can definitely change the color of their shields quite easily in battle_models.txt, you might want to read a guide for that file cause it's not as straightforward as the others

Thanks, Dekhatres! While I wait for an answer for the remaining questions, I'll ask one more thing: is it possible to change (I mean, increase) the settlements that can build Templar/Hospitaller Chapter Houses? How? I can't find it anywhere (and I may be mistaken, but I get the vibe it'll be the same place where I'll be able to change the Base farming level).

you can build templar/hospitaller houses only if the settlement has the hidden resource called "templars_chapter_house" or "st_johns_chapter_house" or both

to see the full list of hidden resources you can simply open export_descr_buildings, they are all the top

to give a settlement a hidden resource the file you need to edit is descr_regions in \mods\SS6.3\data\world\maps\base

Right. So I checked that and wrote "templars_chapter_house" in the settlements I wanted the same way it was written in the "original" settlements. I saved, continued playing, and nothing changed. I tried passing one turn, and nothing changed. The chapters don't appear to be built in settlements where, after many crusades, should definetely have the amount of points needed to do so. Do I need to change something somewhere else? Or is it because it's a campaign that I started before the changes and I'll only see the changes in a new campaign?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoule View Post
    and nothing changed.
    sorry forgot about that, yea you need to start new campaign, pretty much any change done to any file that is inside the "world" folder will require a new campaign to take effect

Ouch. That's a shame. I'm happy with my current campaign and don't want to start a new one. Just wanted to add more "emotion" to the one I'm playing right now.

Sigh, I guess I'll feel those emotions in the future.

Also, I really want to find the file where I can change those Base farming levels before I start another campaign. It seems it'll work the same way as the chapter houses.

Thank you, Dekhatres. Can I give you "rep" or do I have too few posts to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoule View Post
    Ouch. That's a shame. I'm happy with my current campaign and don't want to start a new one. Just wanted to add more "emotion" to the one I'm playing right now.

Sigh, I guess I'll feel those emotions in the future.

Also, I really want to find the file where I can change those Base farming levels before I start another campaign. It seems it'll work the same way as the chapter houses.

Thank you, Dekhatres. Can I give you "rep" or do I have too few posts to do that?
    base farming levels are in descr_settlement_mechanics.xml too, should be this one <factor name="SIF_FARMS">

try changing the pip_modifier value, see what happens then adjust to your liking, you dont need to start new campaign for this

EDIT: where exactly did want to have a templar chapter house ? there could be a way around it

also see http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post7526582
    Last edited by Dekhatres; November 16, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    base farming levels are in descr_settlement_mechanics.xml too, should be this one <factor name="SIF_FARMS">

try changing the pip_modifier value, see what happens then adjust to your liking, you dont need to start new campaign for this
    Yeah, I've seen that. Also, I already knew about the population requirements and how to change it. And I think the Base farming level you're referring to in that file is kind of a "general" Base farming level that will have an impact on all settlements. And I don't want that. What I want is, for example, to go to Paris and change the Base farming level of that settlement, which I assume could be 6 (so, 3%) and increase it to, I don't know, maybe 8, or 10. And see how it goes. The same for other settlements, such as Constantinople, Cordoba, Baghdad, etc. And after doing that, increase the population required for a Huge City, so just a few specific settlements have a better chance of getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    EDIT: where exactly did want to have a templar chapter house ? there could be a way around it

also see http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post7526582
    I haven't done much research (quite little, in fact), but I thought giving "each faction" a settlement where they could build a Templars chapter house would be nice. And after a little research, I decided on:

Papal States: Rome
    Genoa: Pisa
    Venice: Ragusa
    Sicily: Siracuse
    France: Paris, Toulouse (the only one with two, even though one would start as rebel).
    England: London
    Scotland: Edimbourgh
    Hungary: Esztergom

I couldn't come with any settlements for Poland, Denmark and Norway, because I wanted the settlements to have some kind of "historical flavor", and couldn't find much templar activity in their regions, so... I know I may be making a "historical sacrilege" with this intention (and the settlements I chose). But the idea was to give a little bit more templar emotion to Europe ^^u

there's the option to give templar chapter house to entire faction, if you look again at the hidden resource list in export_descr_buildings you will see "norway" "sicily" etc etc

you can make chapter house available in any of the faction's original settlements, like if you add england to the list then templars will available to any of the english settlements, however, if say england conquers Paris they wont get any templars there, unless if you add france to the list too

it's the only option that allows you to continue your campaign, the only one i see atleast

EDIT:you can try this, go in export_descr_buildings and find the templar chapter house building,

you should find something like this, the important part is at the end

Code:
    building templars_chapter_house{
      convert_to templars_chapter_house
      levels templars_minor_ch templars_major_ch
      {
        templars_minor_ch  requires factions { england, jerusalem, norway, france, scotland, denmark, hungary, poland, papal_states, milan, sicily, venice, jerusalem,  } and hidden_resource templars_chapter_house and not building_present st_johns_chapter_house
    change it to this

Code:
    building templars_chapter_house{
      convert_to templars_chapter_house
      levels templars_minor_ch templars_major_ch
      {
        templars_minor_ch  requires factions { england, jerusalem, norway, france, scotland, denmark, hungary, poland, papal_states, milan, sicily, venice, jerusalem,  } and hidden_resource templars_chapter_house  or hidden_resource papal_states and not building_present st_johns_chapter_house
    "or hidden_resource papal_states" has been added, i put there papal_states so now templar order should be available to Rome and Ancona, you can put there any of the hidden resources
    Last edited by Dekhatres; November 18, 2017 at 02:22 AM.

So... According to this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post6253083

I found what I thought would be the same file for SS, in mods > SS6.3 (although its 6.4) > data > world > maps > base > descr_regions.txt. But when I see the numbers of Base farming level of each settlement, they don't resemble what the game shows when you are playing. I mean, Venice, for example, has a 8 written where its supposed to go the Base farming level. That would be 4% in game. But its not. The game says its only 3%, the same % as Paris, that has a 7 written there (which whould be a 3.5%). Actually, there are some settlements with an 8 in Base farming level, but no settlement has a higher % than 3 when you play. Why does this happen? If 1 doesn't equal to 0.5% of Base farming level, then how should I approach the changes?

Thanks!