Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Augurinus and Rusca

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Augurinus and Rusca

"We are merely discussing it"

Pointed Metellus.

"I gain nothing from this, Rusca, I want to remind you that I have passed through every step of the cursus honorum. I only do this for the well-fare of our Republic"

He waves a hand.

"Patres, let's discuss this, freely, as we would normally do"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"Discus what you wish Pius. I can not stop you from wasting this bodies time on a matter that has already been discussed and rejected the previous year. When we have important matters to bring to the table." The consul says coldly. "Why deal with threats to the Republic abroad when you can play your games here?"

Messalla sighed. He forgot how much he hated the politics of the Curia over such matters as these, yet it seemed he would be consigned to this existence perpetually afterwards.

"Senators, this bitter quarreling will result in nothing more than a stalemate or an inevitable tribune's veto. I stand in support of the laws to limit the prospects of the tribunes after their election to that office. It is a law I have supported in theory for years now. Additionally, it will be easier to pass this measure than it ever will be to limit the power of the Concilium Plebis, which will only invite a veto. Additionally, I doubt the legality of forcing one to spend his own coin in a particular way, as Lucullus has suggested. It is clear to me,however, that as a military commander Sulpicianus is more of a liability than anything. He should be removed at once."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Lucullus swaggered onto the floor, and made a great show of sniffing the air.

"What is that smell? Why, Consul, do you not know your friend Sulpicianus has constructed baths in the city?"

He paused, flairing his hand out for dramatics.

"Though from the smell, I suspect more than a bath is needed. You seem to have brought the Cloaca Maxima into the Senate with you - I am delighted to know the Consul is so keen in his duties that he aids in the clearing of blockages in the sewers in his spare time!"

Lucius Licinius Lucullus smiled dryly.

"Good Messala is right, we must not be so quick to engage in dung slinging in politics."

Lucullus looked the Consul up and down, faking sadness.

"Though it is a shame such a statement was not made before you arrived to the Curia."

Rusca ignores the insignificant man standing as though he was not covered in dung. He would see the man responsible paid, but now was not the time for that. Now he had business to see to. He had no time for the fool Lucullus now. No he would get back at him in good time.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You behave as if you were a child Iullucus, you disrespect the consulship and every man here assembled with such behavior. The second consul spoke, given the silence of peer. Let us all behave as befits our position, as high standing men of Rome. This body may discuss these matters, but let us remember no man here is beyond Roman law.

————

Who would you have replace Suplicanus? Numerias questioned his old commanding officer.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; November 12, 2017 at 08:04 PM.

"It is the prerogative of the Consuls to lead our armies in times of war. One of them should do this. There is no Proconsul of Gallia Cisalpina." He advised. "In the meantime, I must introduce yet another important matter of discussion for this year. I wish to disband the legions used in Asia. They are no longer needed, and their service in Asia has earned them the right to farmsteads and even citizenship for those who lack it. I call upon the Senate to authorize the settlement of these men in Italy, Sicily, and Macedon in Coloniae."

I agree! Numerias cried. The men of the 10th and the others that served in the east sacrificed much, they deserve a profitable and long future.

"I will do the same with my own men. There are plenty of available lands around Metellinum, in Africa. They shall be handsomely settled there"

Said Pius.

"Some men in this Senate abhor Africa, or so it seemed, but the new conquests have turned the province into a bountiful granary, soon enough our province will yield more grain than Egypt every year and probably as much as Sicily"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

The Consul Rusca rises. "I can support the proposal to settle these men. If the legions are no longer needed then they should get their rewards. If no one objects we can bring the matter to a vote."

Messalla was pleased, he had expected some fight over his preferred locations, his men would be close enough to be called upon, if needed.

Gaius Furuis Sulpicianus Callidus entered the Curia. He wore a simple toga, holding no office for the year. He took his seat among the ex-consuls but soon rose to speak, an honest smile on his face. "Senators, I have returned from the north victorious, albeit barely. I freely admit that my campaign was not as great a success as those fought by the acclaimed generals Pius and Messalla, whose own triumphs I was saddened to have missed. I would have been standing in the front rows of each, praising their accomplishments." He crossed to the floor and clasped his hands behind his back. "I inherited an untenable situation from Gnaeus Iulus. The man had lost a stunning battle against the Helvetii. His men were demoralized and almost mutinous themselves. I arrived in camp with my own legions and officers in order to confer with the man who had performed competently in Spain. As I was seeking his advice, he became irate at the fact that I, acting as Consul, ourtanked him in the camp. It was this jealousy that led him to make an open attempt on my life. He failed, and he was immediately condemned to death in accordance with our laws. May he rot in the afterlife." Sulpicianus spat on the floor at the mention of his memory, damned as it was.

"In spite of all these hardships, I was able to secure a peace. I met the Helvetii inconclusively in battle, but they were able to carry off a valuable hostage. I have since come to terms with the Helvetii on behalf of the Roman people. The terms are as follows: Hostages from the Helvetii have been received, to be kept in my own household here in Rome. The tribe has also submitted to disarmament. For a small indemnity, I persuaded them to split their forces. One group shall be settled in Venetia and the other in Gallia Narbonensis. Two of their chieftains have become citizens. This was no great victory over a foreign foe, but I have ended the threat of violence against our possessions in the north."

ooc: this would take place after his meeting with Scipio and the Populares in the temple

ooc: really? nothing?

“I for one applaud your efforts. The death and madness of Iulus saddness me, but coming to peaceful terms with the Helvetii after his disastrous defeat is quite the accomplishment.” Marcus began, his sympathies for the late Iulus were well documented in his work on the Social Wars, but even he could not die the insanity that gripped the man in his later years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12