Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

The gameplay is not that bad. With some love & work by Modders, IMO it may become the best DLC I've ever seen ..

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

@ Diocle:
    Do you have some more screenshots?

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Yeah, master Gaiten, I've few other screens, not so many beacuse I'm still trying to understand the new game mechanics (which are not bad ..) and I'm trying to build the right buildings, to recruit the right units and to use in the right way the agents, the game is not easy but not even unplayable, as Tetricus I've just conquered, in a strict order: Milan, Genoa and Patavium, in this way, almost like Bonaparte, I relieved the city of Massilia from a Roman hard siege. I'm building Mithraea almost everywhere I can, but only after a lot of turns I'm ready to field some good cavalry; I've a spy sent into the Balkans, a veteran who is upgrading Tetricus' men and an aristo-moron I still need to understand how to use.

The game has just advised me that the protection against civil wars is about to end in few turns and I've not yet fully undertood how they work the dynamics between the different political factions inside my faction, so, we might say that the situation is fluid, unstable and intriguing but also pretty dangerous I suppose, at this point in Italy people usually say: "Chi vivrà, vedrà!" (who will live, will see! i.e.: time will tell)

Anyway here my screens:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Side note:
    as you can see from the pics, the Imperial Italic Helmet type H, or Niedermormter, that is the best helmet in mankind history, .. IS PERFECT!!!!! Excellent job Lusted, Vir Clarissimus!

Interesting.
    Are these Barbarian-looking warriors Foederati?

BTW I prefer the Niederbieber / Buch helmet. And the Deurne helmet is a beauty of design. IMHO these are the best looking

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Must admit, I've come to rely on the Pikemen I spent days coutersignalling here haha
    Not the generic "Pikemen" though, but the Auxiliary armoured ones, and the Illiryan ones. They are excellent at holding the line. Hell, I just destroyed a Latin Rebels full stack, all silver chevron army with minimal losses by herding them against my pikes and surrounding them. I forgot the Rome 2 AI in settlement s is extremely exploitable. If there's no victory location, they'll simply all swarm into one street if you enter there, and you can flank them easily. Compared to Attila, where you have those towers and cavalry cant withdraw from combat without dying, this is really easy.
    Other than that, I'm having a blast. Looking forward to the units reskin mod that I know is coming at some point to stop the randomly distributed shields thing though.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Interesting.
    Are these Barbarian-looking warriors Foederati?

BTW I prefer the Niederbieber / Buch helmet. And the Deurne helmet is a beauty of design. IMHO these are the best looking
    They're my Gallo-Roman boys! They're saving my precious ass! I love them all!

I understand your point about Buch helmet but do you know what I love more of the III century helmets? The fact that they are heavy, strong, in some way mysterious and also frightening, with a slight Sado-Maso touch and a bit of dark horror feeling, a mix between Murnau and Lang! There is something evil and mechanical in those helmets, .. they look like as if they come from some modern Steam Punk/horror movie or game, look:

.. hasn't it something scaring and vicious?

So far I have been enjoying the game.
    For and old RTW 1 Veteran, the gameplay is tricky and challenging, my Aurelian campaign I probably will have to restart, situation looks very hopeless.

So far I have been enjoying the game.
    For and old RTW 1 Veteran, the gameplay is tricky and challenging, my Aurelian campaign I probably will have to restart, situation looks very hopeless.
    This is why to start I've chosen the Gallic secessionists, making a hard choice that saddens me and weighs like a horrendous burden on my unquestionable and unswerving Roman loyalism ..

I think it can be done. I should not try to improve the economy, I should increase my legions and then attack Italy full-force.

I have not yet played Aurelian but IMO, on RTW and RTW2 engines, Italy can be taken starting from the South, as they did the Americans in WW2, for Aurelian it may be the safest and easiest way, better than struggling into the Balkans for thousands turns, just to reach Venetian plains and discover that you have still to conquer Milan with its garrison and you are still pretty distant from Rome, meanwhile, the Germanic nations can stab you in the back whenever they like and the Gallic Empire is lurking around the Maritime Alps .. a good old air-naval operation, this is what you need! with a very aggressive landing in Apulia with at least three stacks (at least one of elite), this is what I did with Procopius in SAJ and it worked pretty well. In any case I think it's safer avoiding Sicily, Apulia is the way to go, then, from there you can take Rome and thereafter Sicily.

Nice idea, roughly the same what I have been thinking to do
    I somewhat miss the elite field army Aurelian should have had from the beginning. However, this challenge I have to do is very ineresting and I am convinced when I have conquered Italy my Basic economy is going to improve drastically.
    Sicily I probably will attack with my troops from Carthage. After the war fleet (Classis Cyrenaica) has been replenished in the Harbour of Carthage.

Yeah, as I learned when I conquered the city, when you conquer Rome you also get 4.000 denarii (or were they 6.000? I don't remember, sadly, as in RL, when money comes to my hands after few seconds it vainshes, I don't know why! ) I suggest you to not auto resolve the battle for Rome, it's always a pleasure entering the eternal city with your Roman troops! She's so beautiful!

One thing is sure: I'm having a lot of fun playing this new DLC, it reminds me the times of my first campaigns in RTW, it's the first time it happens on Rome 2 engine! Thanks Lusted!

Side note: if only my men were not wearing those horrid yellow trousers! I told them: "Now we are in Rome boys, try at least not to look like the provincials you actually are!" Nothing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Yeah, as I learned when I conquered the city, when you conquer Rome you also get 4.000 denarii (or were they 6.000? I don't remember, sadly, as in RL, when money comes to my hands after few seconds it vainshes, I don't know why! )
    I believe this is known as Italian Problem

Side note: if only my men were not wearing those horrid yellow trousers! I told them: "Now we are in Rome boys, try at least not to look like the provincials you actually are!" Nothing to do!
    You may remember the laments of Cassius Dio how Barbarian the Legionaries of Septimus Severus looked alike when he entered Rome in 193AD.

So history repeats

I believe this is known as Italian Problem
    OMG! Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten
    You may remember the laments of Cassius Dio how Barbarian the Legionaries of Septimus Severus looked alike when he entered Rome in 193AD.

So history repeats
    Yes I remember and I'm reading just now Cassius Dio, in any case, those yellow trousers have something indecent, the yellow pants in fact are not only yellow but also extremely tight, all in all, watching my victorious legionaries parading around the streets of Rome in yellow collants, as if they were at Gay Pride, almost obliterated my martial joy for the conquest!

Geez Diocle they don't look that bad. Quit filling my head with negative imagery and detracting from my experience.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

One of the many problems i have with RTWII and ATW is the map : not enough regions at all to conquer ot to lose !
    Seeing your screenshots of this DLC, i just don't understand the artistic direction once again : shield patterns are at least from constantinian era, if not after. And mixing it in the same unit is just...i don't know, stupid ? Yellow trousers, armours from warhammer, is it so hard to read a couple of books, at least just osprey's ? i'm not asking for more...
    Unfortunately no crew had seriously modded ATW, the game editor choose to made it more difficult, if not impossible (the map seems to be unmoddable). So i gues this DLC won't be upgraded and i don't even consider playing vanilla game.

Wait, you're right, but the game has been made on Rome 2 engine, and Rome 2 is moddable, at least it's quite moddable as engine. About Attila, I've seen few Mods which have modded the map, two examples are Viking Mod and the WONDERFUL (Surprise, surprise: RUSSIAN o.c.!) Medieval Kingdoms with a radically new map, radically new buildings and totally new units.

Few screens taken from my Sicilian campaign just to explain what actually is Med Kingdoms:

So, I think the point is that we need Modders, we need Modders with a lot of free time, a lot of interest for Late Antiquity, a lot of patience and a lot of generosity to mod the game as you and me wish.

In any case my most beloved friend and great Artist Emperor Caesar is turning Empire Divided into a masterpiece, follow Him, follow His work and love Him as much as possible, this is the best suggestion I can give you my dear Gallo-Roman friend.

My campaign is going ... well, I am stuborn. I am riding the Red-line and my very depleted armies desperately fight of enemy assaults. Some provinces on the Balkan I have lost, but almost all of Italy is conquered.

Why does unit replenishing so long
    Does merging depleted units work again (Drag `Drop)?

My campaign is going ... well, I am stuborn. I am riding the Red-line and my very depleted armies desperately fight of enemy assaults. Some provinces on the Balkan I have lost, but almost all of Italy is conquered.

Why does unit replenishing so long
    Does merging depleted units work again (Drag `Drop)?
    No, sorry but in my experience you can't merge depleted units, you've to wait Mastro Gäiten, ..
    you've to wait while your recruiting officers do their dirty job, taking on the new recruits
    from taverns, brothels and farms, offering them a wonderful future in the Imperial Army
    intent on saving Western Civilization from the abyss of barbarism and political anarchy,
    offering them tons of beautiful women of any race, colour and size,
    the occasion of travelling in strange, exotic and mysterious lands,
    the occasion of making more money than any other civilian can hope to make,
    and offering them also the chance of a brilliant carreer in the army and then ..
    who knows where the ambition can drive a brave man of strong will and steel balls!

Amen.

What Empire Divided get very well is, IMHO, the feeling of desperation the old Romans had to had in the 3rd century AD.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast