Thread: [Submod Proposal] New Illyrian Faction

Marble Emperor's Avatar Tiro

Default [Submod Proposal] New Illyrian Faction

So, I'm a huge fan of EBII and I've been having a ton of fun with version 2.3 so far. One thing that I have thought was missing for a long time has been the presence of any Illyrian factions. Basically, as far as I've seen in my campaigns, Illyria and most of the Balkans for that matter remains just rebel territories up until the point that I gather enough willpower to push in and conquer the copious rebel stacks that are just standing around doing nothing over there. My proposal is to add either the Ardiaei or the Dalmatae to the game to kind of breathe some life into the region. I would like to do this in the most accurate way possible and keep consistent with the rest of the factions. To do this I need some help with some research into the kinds of units and recruitment mechanisms that the Ardiaei or the Dalmatae should have. There are already a lot of Illyrian units in the game which will form the basis for the majority of the units that the Illyrians will have. I am currently thinking of creating several units that I think would fit in well and fill out the faction effectively.

1.) Illyrian Agema (General's bodyguard, heavy lancer cav)
    2.) Illyrian Raiders (Axe and short-sword wielding infantry unit, recruited from port building)
    3.) Illyrian Archers (tentative, not sure whether I should make this or whether an archer unit would even make sense.)
    4.) Illyrian Slingers (tentative as well, just kind of a means of filling out the roster)

Let me know what you guys think, I am more than happy to adjust things to fit in line with history. Also, I need to know which faction would fit better in the game between the Ardiaei and the Dalmatae... I am impartial to either, I just need to know which one would make more sense and would fit better.

Default Re: [Submod Proposal] New Illyrian Faction

The Dardanoi would be better than the Dalmatae - they were a real power at our start date, allied to Pyrrhos (and at war with Makedonia). They'd have Dyrrachion and Dardanoia as their starting position if they were a faction. Two of their starting "FMs" are already Rebel characters in-game.

On your units, note you can't have two melee weapons for an infantry unit, unless you're referring to the Raiders having a mixture of axes and swords as their secondary weapons. I don't think there's much attested to by way of archery in Illyria, but a Slinger unit wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm actually rewriting recruitment in the Balkans right now; some of the changes are subtle, but others more significant. There aren't any pure-Illyrian provinces; they've got Hellenic, Celtic or Thraikian units as well.

Hi Quintus, I actually thought about the Dardanoi as a potential faction at first, but the reason I ruled them out effectively was precisely because they were already tied into the campaign script which I didn't want to mess with.

Also, I meant that I was planning on giving the raiders a mix of axes and swords, with potentially javelins as a primary. I am unsure on this point however as I feel that it would maybe be too close in nature to the Illyrian peltasts. I'm also aware of the recruitment rebalance that is taking place atm, I was planning on holding off on the release of this submod until 2.3a is released and only working on the stuff that won't be subject to change in the next release, like units, banners, faction icons etc... The export_descr_buildings.txt and export_descr_unit.txt will be the last thing I edit before release.
    Last edited by Marble Emperor; November 08, 2017 at 06:18 PM.

Illyrian Agema WIP (Heavy Lancers)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Have you only used the Illyrian Hoplites for materials there? Worth looking at the Ardiaian Thorakitai as well - even if just for body armour and helmets. The smaller shields of the Hoplitai are better for cavalry, though, you'll get fewer clipping issues. The upper classes of Illyria and Illyria Hellenike were quite Hellenised, so you might also want to look at some stuff from units like Hippeis and the Molossians.

I used materials from the illyrian hippeis and illyrian thorakitai. I plan on adding another linothorax variant and maybe one more helmet to finish off this model.