Thread: Marriage proposals

paleologos's Avatar Artifex

Default Marriage proposals

Is there a way for a diplomat to propose marriage between a foreign princess and a young family member of my faction?
    My diplomat does not seem to have the option and I do have a FM just turn 14 YO.
    Is that even possible?

Default Re: Marriage proposals

I believe that diplomacy option only exists if your FM is an unmarried faction heir. i.e. "Marry princess to faction heir." is the wording IIRC. Regular FMs don't have the option. Maybe if the princess approaches your faction/FM, but I don't recall seeing that happen with the AI.

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. Proud patron of atthias.

Currently in my campaign my FL has a married son and a married grandson, so I don't believe I can put that to the test in the foreseeable future, but when I test it, I'll post the results here.

NorseThing's Avatar Centenarius

Marriage proposals can also be done with an unmarried faction leader. Rare, but it happens!
    Check out the Tale of the Week and write up a bit and enter!!
    Any member can create a blog -- TWC Member Blogs -- Blog Commentary
    Citizenship or staff status not required.

Coming soon -- a new AAR
    until then why not check out the great ones already in progress by your fellow members
    -- After Action Reports

Has it ever happened to any of you to have a female FM appear in the family tree but nowhere else?
    Though, at the start of the turn I got a proposal to marry her off with a 48 yo unknown general with low loyalty, a meager dread of one, no command stars and in general nothing remarkable about him.
    She now appears to be 15 yo and no sight of her in the stratmap.

Did you attempt to locate the missing damsel by right clicking both the family tree picture and the agent list? I know this seems obvious and you probably did do so, but I was once confused and thought that if she was not in the agent list she was not on the map. The next turn she appeared. Just like a modern female that just takes a bit longer to be presentable when in a courting mood.

Coming soon -- a new AAR
    until then why not check out the great ones already in progress by your fellow members
    -- After Action Reports

I did do those things.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Has it ever happened to any of you to have a female FM appear in the family tree but nowhere else?
    Though, at the start of the turn I got a proposal to marry her off with a 48 yo unknown general with low loyalty, a meager dread of one, no command stars and in general nothing remarkable about him.
    She now appears to be 15 yo and no sight of her in the stratmap.
    Only princesses, that is daughters of FL (and maybe of FH, not sure) appear on strat map. Female FMs not directly related to FM don't appear on strat map at all, the only interaction with them you get are marriage proposals.

Are you sure about that?

Yeah. I'm not 100% sure about the exact definition of princess, but it's definitely this. Not every female FM is a princess.

The daughters of current Leaders and heirs are princesses on map yes. Paleologos, if your missing lady is the daughter of a regular FM, then it's not a glitch, it's normal.
    Regular daughters have no scripting agent type or other definition to script them on.

Selv -- great post and good to know. Thanks. (of and a plus rep as well)

Coming soon -- a new AAR
    -- After Action Reports

Good to know for me too, as it so happened that my faction leader died at about the same time, maybe a turn earlier, but a branch of the family became more distanced from the "throne".
    So, I'm guessing I can stop banging my head against the wall.

I think it was what made me start modding this game, I wanted to make every women some princess agent type. But it's not possible and when I once tried to spawn new princesses to replace them, it was causing crashes but I don't remember well...

I'm preparing a modification for the Princesses in the SSHIP. Some general text might be helpful for everybody, I guess. Tell me if you spot any mistake.

The Life of a Princess
    A princess is a daughter of a Faction Leader or of a Faction Heir. She is a character (agent) who appears on the map when she comes of age (CoA) at the age of 14. She must CoA when her father is still an FL or an FH – otherwise, she will be a usual noblewoman in the family and she will not appear on the map.
    A princess may act as a diplomat meeting foreign characters and negotiating agreements. However, her goal in life is to marry well. She may be (a part) of an alliance deal with another faction if she marries a foreign Faction Leader or Faction Heir. In this case, she will be lost for your faction: she joins the other one. However, she may also marry a new general – if the game engine presents her with one – and stay in your faction. Furthermore, she may also marry a general from your faction who is already in-game. The advantage of this option is that you can choose a very good general and make him even better. Finally, she may marry a foreign general – he will join your faction immediately if he accepts it. Keep in mind, however, two things. First, it’s far from certain. The higher her Charm is and the lower the attributes of the general are, the higher the probability of a positive effect. You’re shown this probability in-game. Second, if he is physically in the other’s faction land this will be immediately treated as trespasser what can have the adverse impact on your relations. In the worst case, he may be attacked by the other faction – or by the rebels. So you need to get him to the safe ground quickly, possibly the following turn (just after marriage he has 0 mobility). The advantage of such a guy is that you may choose a very good general. But there might be bigger one: if he’s got a foreign blood, it will be kept within your family providing an additional benefit of +1 Popularity under the trait “Royal Relations”. However, to get such a marriage the princess has to have a relatively high charm.
    Whoever she marries, she would provide him with some traits. If the couple would bear children in future, she – through her husband traits like “Wife is Noble” or “Wife is Ugly” – would provide children with good or bad traits.
    To achieve all good results her attribute “Charm” is essential. It may be between 0 and 10. It conveys the picture how she is perceived by the other people. It encompasses physical beauty, proper noble behavior, ability to mingle with people, and also additional advantages like having a powerful father, boasting heroic ancestors or coming from a rich faction.

^^ good summation. You know better than I what is in the code that is modable. What you posted seems consistent with what I have experienced.

Coming soon -- a new AAR
    -- After Action Reports

A couple of posts about the Pope were moved to here.

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. Proud patron of atthias.