Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Lepidus, 78 BCE

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Lepidus, 78 BCE

"Metellus and my father have won stunning victories for the Republic." Manius Messalla began, attempting to focus on something positive for a change. "This welcome news must be a cause for celebration among all Romans, regardless of class. Let us give the People something to celebrate indeed. Let us offer these two great men our highest form of praise."

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Antonius had returned to Rome to gather support for his campaign against the Cilician Pirates, having assessed teh situation and realizing he needed help. Upon entering the chamber he found it starkly different. Wishing to get things over with he rose to speak.

Senators, I have returned from the war in Asia to bring news and ask for assistance. As you know Mithridates has been stopped, but his impact in Asia is far from gone. One of his plots was to stir up the pirates in the waters surrounding Cilicia, a threat that now would endanger trade, and sow chaos across the Mare Nostrum. I seek to stop this threat before it has the opportunity to spread west, and choke off out grain supplies. This cannot be allowed to happen for we all know what will result if the populace has to endure another famine.

I call upon the senate to invest powers upon me to engage the pirate fleets and authority to raise a legion against them. I ask for power to seek their surrender and to issue terms to them, This I seek in the interest of Rome. To further aide this campaign I would ask for use of the dormant navy that has been left behind in Naples. It numbers 25 Quineremes and 25 Triremes(upkeep free for rome) and would provide much needed replenishment to the fleet I maintain in Asia.

I ask this of the senate and hope for expediency in an answer for I wish to sail before the stormy season begins.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    "Metellus and my father have won stunning victories for the Republic." Manius Messalla began, attempting to focus on something positive for a change. "This welcome news must be a cause for celebration among all Romans, regardless of class. Let us give the People something to celebrate indeed. Let us offer these two great men our highest form of praise."

"I concur. Triumphs will provide a welcome distraction for the people of Rome."

Gods know they had enough to be concerned about. Besides, the presence of soldiers might restore some order.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Antonius had returned to Rome to gather support for his campaign against the Cilician Pirates, having assessed teh situation and realizing he needed help. Upon entering the chamber he found it starkly different. Wishing to get things over with he rose to speak.

Senators, I have returned from the war in Asia to bring news and ask for assistance. As you know Mithridates has been stopped, but his impact in Asia is far from gone. One of his plots was to stir up the pirates in the waters surrounding Cilicia, a threat that now would endanger trade, and sow chaos across the Mare Nostrum. I seek to stop this threat before it has the opportunity to spread west, and choke off out grain supplies. This cannot be allowed to happen for we all know what will result if the populace has to endure another famine.

I call upon the senate to invest powers upon me to engage the pirate fleets and authority to raise a legion against them. I ask for power to seek their surrender and to issue terms to them, This I seek in the interest of Rome. To further aide this campaign I would ask for use of the dormant navy that has been left behind in Naples. It numbers 25 Quineremes and 25 Triremes(upkeep free for rome) and would provide much needed replenishment to the fleet I maintain in Asia.

I ask this of the senate and hope for expediency in an answer for I wish to sail before the stormy season begins.

"And these are the same pirates that menace the shores of Corsica and Sardinia, Antonius?"

Asked Brutus, plainly. It seemed this man had attempted to give himself the authority to conduct a war on the senate's behalf, and only now had realised that he needed their approval to do so. Decimus had half a mind to simply grant his request but lobby to give another command out of irritation alone.

"No doubt you are right in that they must be dealt with. But what makes yourself so qualified for command? That you have raised a fleet from your own expense should be enough for the Senate to ratify your position?"

The Consul then relented. If Antonius wanted to spend his career rotting away in Cicilia, then Brutus supposed that he shouldn't stand in the man's way.

"Unfortunately, there is no plentiful supply of commanders." He then conceded. "Unless another man would step forward?"

"I do not think the Republic can bear the expense of raising any additional military forces for any purpose." Manius said plainly. "The treasury is nearly exhausted completely, which bodes ill for next year's financial state. We cannot waste more resources on frivolous or private wars. Besides, marauding Gauls certainly pose a larger threat than pirates on the seas,unless they begin raiding brazenly in Italy itself. I might be convinced to provide you with a limited command to root out piracy in the eastern seas, under the supervision and in coordination with whoever is the governor of Asia next year."

-----

Some time later, Manius rose to address the Senate with a new matter of business that required their attention. "Senators, I have received news from my father in Asia. The war with Mithridates has officially concluded in an overwhelming victory! Mithridates is our captive, and almost the whole of Asia save its southern reaches have been brought under Roman control. In addition, the Armenians have been subjugated and put under a treaty, the young Armenian King Artovades has become a hostage of Rome, and will be educate din Roman fashion until he reaches his majority at which time he will ascend the throne. Until that time, Armenia will be governed by the Proconsul of Asia. Lycia and Rhodes reaffirm their loyalty and have offered tribute. Such victories as these dwarf even the achievements of Sulla, who although victorious, was unable to secure final victory over Pontus. As such, I propose that Marcus Valerius Messalla be granted a triumph over the peoples of the East, to take place at the turn of the next year."

ooc: The conquest will bring an added flow of 1,000 denarii per year into the treasury.

"That would certainly be a prudent measure. The Helvetii should be our priority at the current time."

Added Brutus, on the matter of Antonius' desire to make war upon the pirates of Cicilia.

--

Brutus stood, the relief clear on his face. At last, Messalla would return and hopefully restore some order to Rome's streets - and Brutus could perhaps reap the rewards of the newly conquered province in the next year.

"I would heartily stand in support of such a measure. Mithridates has ever been a thorn in Rome's side, and his defeat is certainly a cause for great celebration."

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Antonius responds to their inquiry,

My fellow Senators, this is an issue that will not diminish with time, this is a threat to our economy that cannot be left unaddressed, and I mean to deal with it. Who else holds the experience at sea as I do, who else has the desire to confront this issue. I defeated Mithradites fleet and that of Sinopes with a force that I raised with my own coin, and officers I recruited and trained. I stand here ready to fight and only ask for the support of the senate, with the coming election I mean to run for Pro-Consul of Asia and with it will hold the prerogative to lead this campaign.

To better emphasize the threat we face I should explain the situation in Asia, firstly to brief you and secondly to show that it was not error on my part that I have preempted the fight in Asia but common sense, for what kind of commander would I be if I came asking for aide with no knowledge of who I was fighting.

Our enemy is not the common raider encountered in the past, but a well-organized and garrisoned force. Most are based from strongholds in Asia Minor, where they gather and wait to launch attacks. These Cilician pirates hold harbors and fortified islands and their numbers are greater than my own by what I estimate as two fold; also their skirmishers are nothing to scoff at. To fully confront this threat I will have to raise local auxiliaries and enlist the aid of local fleets. This is what we face, and why I ask for the level of authority I do.

Something I might note before I close my speech, Asia is one of the most profitable provinces in the republic, equal with Macedonia and outpaced only by Italy
    Last edited by chesser2538; November 08, 2017 at 09:54 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

An unfamiliar voice came from the crowd of senators, though some of the older members of the senate would recognize the voice as belonging to Marcus Genucius Augurinus. Who’ve he was, the gray haired man had signs of crow’s feet at the edge of his eyes. And if you should be elected to the position of Pro-Consul I will applaud a swift end brought to these pirates, at the expense of the proconsularship of course. The curious man stated. Until then we cannot spare such funding, not when there is so much to be done in Rome, and Italy at large. We’ve witnessed a canadite for Consul and a sitting Consul beaten to death in the streets of our own city, and now a hoard menaces the northern frontier these Helvetia hold a knife to the throat of our fair Republic. Truth be told, I believe pirates are the least of our worries, Senator. Any money that remains in the treasury should remain there, so we might raise additional forces if Consul Suplicanus should fail. With that Genucius sat down, this having been the first time he’d spoken in the senate in well over a decade, since his departure for Greece.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; November 09, 2017 at 01:50 AM.

A client requests a triumph for Pius, considering his imposing territorial gains for the Republic and the subjugation of Numidia and Mauretania.

ooc:this looks so cheap, but can't do anything else. I can't send Scipio because I won't be able to properly reply until tomorrow.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

"Since our pool of ex consuls seem to be intent to each head out to the provinces to pursue their own private wars at the expense of the state and their own brethren, I believe a new law restricting illegal warfare must be enacted." Manius said as Antonius brought his speech to an end. "Should one of these wars result in a defeat, it will pose a threat to all of our possessions in those provinces and the security of the state in general. If Antonius wishes to rush into a war in Asia for no apparent reason, he may do so at his own personal risk. Since the Senate does not sanction this mission, he should forfeit all opportunity for military accolades resulting from any successes won."

ooc: If nobody objects to a triumph, I'm not going to bother setting up a vote for it

"Then by all means, let us enact such a law:"

Lex Junia I. Henceforth, authority to declare a war of aggression solely rests with the Senate and People of Rome.

II. Aggressive warfare conducted without the consent of the Senate and People of Rome is a criminal offence. Even in the case of success, all military accolades and honours are forfeit.

III. Governors are however permitted to engage and make war upon those who would threaten Roman territory, client kingdoms, or allied states.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Lucullus stood.

"I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment."

The known Optimate took to the floor and looked around his fellow Senators, all too aware that many Populists had fled.

"I do, however, have a proposal of my own. It is well known that there has been excessive political violence of late, with numerous murders being committed. This is a sad state of affairs - for it was thought those days were long passed with the destruction of the Marians. "

Twas going well so far.

"These murders tie in strongly with the 'reforms'. It is clear to me, Senators, that the Tribunate and the Populists are to blame for these murders - perhaps they did not commit the crimes themselves, but they certainly laid the groundwork!"

Such things would not do, the murderer thought with grim amusement.

"Thus, my friends, I propose we take these reforms with a pinch of salt. The Tribune Brutus has seen to it that reform will be difficult in the extreme - thus I propose this!

Redistribution of the Ager Publicus will be limited to a hundred hectares per year! Former Tribunes will be forbidden to stand as magistrates! Consul's will be given the authority to dissolve the Plebeian Council upon consultation of the auspices! All bills to be presented to the Plebeian Council must be presented and approved by the Senate first! And finally, Senators, I propose that the Tribunate be stripped of their right to veto the Senate, as they have so often done in the past for their own, selfish gains! "

And so, Lucullus had finally revealed himself as one of those men among the aristocracy that were so utterly bereft of good sense that they wished to rob the Tribunate of its powers completely, without any soldiers or men within the city to curb the mob violence.

"Let us cleave to the matter at hand first, Lucullus. The bill presented should be debated upon and passed first before attending to such other reforms."

Brutus desperately didn't want these incendiary measures tagged on the end to a law proposed in his own name.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

A man around is thirtieth years entered the senate at some point, he was introduced as Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus, a scion of the old Ahenobarbi line. While alot happened in the last years Gnaeus had apparently secluded himself from politics, a situation that could continue if his line was not fade in obscurity.

"Salve Senators''

Said Gnaeus, apparently Brutus had laid out a bill, but could senators simply not make up an excuse to circumvent this bill?

''I think i can consent to such a bill, Brutus.''

And then Lucullus revealed himself an enemy of the people, apparently the man had not the brains to predict how the people would react when they would know when their tribunes are taken away from them.

''But i do not support the proposal of Lucullus, must we take everything away from the people now?''
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; November 10, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is it not an accepted fact that the late senator Lepidus was a ardent supporter of the populist cause? Marcus questioned. Now is the time for level headed discourse, Iucullus, not radical motions that will incite the mob to violence. I see no feasible way that muzzling the Tribunes and the Plebeian Council will stabilize Rome.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; November 10, 2017 at 04:32 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Rusca rises to address the Senate the first time since he returned to Rome. "Iucellus your proposal is an ill disguised power grab at the expense of the Republic. The Consilium Plebis is long stood as an important foundation of the Republic. You seek to undermine the organizations that bring Rome prosperity and make it strong." He pauses and studies the room. "No one should support such a blatant attempt to seize power at the expense of the Republic. Iucellus proposal is worse than foolish it is a threat to everything that makes Rome strong."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12