Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: NEW DBM development:Testing phase of DBM 2.0

Default NEW DBM development:Testing phase of DBM 2.0

Hey guys,

happy to say that DBM has been taken again, and now there is a new development concerning the mod...

The previous team is inactive, but me and other few modders are working on it again...

The new DBM has been revisited a lot, compared to the last version DBM 1.2...

In due time, we will provide extensive previews and explanations of the features/modifications...

Here, a little sneak peak of a new faction roster, the Aeduii faction now inclued in the mod (the map has been largely edited, some factions removed and new ones added)... Pic still based on the old build, as there is a new one in progress with overhauls in graphics, mechanics and other contents.

Step by step we'll provide new details about the path to first release. The name of the mod will remain the same, most probably.
    Cheers!

P.S.: of course, we are always very attentive to anyone who would like to be part of the new development team and wants to create contents for the new DBM...
    In particular, we are interested in a profile who knows how to make new character traits and ancillaries, so as to boost the development phases of the mod.
    If interested, please let us know here on the threads or via PM.

Thanks!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Default Re: NEW DBM development: info & previews (prior to release)

great news!

Thanks Tartaros! Yes, up to now we are proceeding good, still no secure release date, but it shouldn't be so long in time... Later on, we'll provide descriptions about the new look of the mod. And keep it up with TGC too, eh!

Great news!

Thanks againster, hehe... in case be ready with your customized map textures for DBM too, the one in BC are very realistic!!

I am just gonna ask after all. Is there someone around who would want to do some simple but possibly time consumable historic research for people too busy with functionnal/internal modding?

No need to give me pages of histories books, just when possible, in record somewhere:
    Names of important people/families, factions positions and possibly state of relations in -321 for the following:
    Aedui, Averni, Belgae, Celtiberi, Swebaz, Illyria, Noricum, Boii, Dacian, Scytians, Sarmatians, Nomadic to include more or less in Saka Rauka, and Nabateans?
    I bet there is almost or no records at all of these things but since I don't know for sure...

Others factions are more known/on records but still, I have no time to look now so if you want to make me little lists of leaders, important generals and women, I won't say no, just having names right in front of me will make it faster:
    Rome, Greek cities states, macedonia, thracia, pontus, armenia, seleucids, egypt, syracuse, pergamon, massilia, bosphore greeks, carthage, and, and I think that's "all".

Little lists are enough, generals to start on -321, if written somewhere the women they were married to or the same for characters tree, "princess like close enough", these kind of characters. Sure I know the most famous but you can still writte their names so I will have it easy. Same with relations states when possible.

Thanks for clarifying selv....

Yes, to whoever might be interested in this historical research, please let us know... (would be a great help to acquire historical names)

An observation:
    - Syracuse, Pergamon Massilia and Bosphore Greek Sates are, now, all included in one single new faction, the colonial independent Polies (which differ from the Greek states of the mainland, namely Athens, Sparta)...
    - Rome includes, now, three major factions: the Romani faction, the SPQR (the Senate being independent and not playable) and the Roma Rivalis (a spawning faction at the moment of the Civil War)

Soon, I'll preview the new roster of these Hellenic colonies (a mix of Greeks and Aor regiments)...

All in all, yes, if interested in the search, please write down here. Thanks

That is great news! I loved DBM and antiquity is my favourite time period.
    Well, I'd still prefer mod in even further antiquity with Babylon, Assyrians and so on but...
    I'm eagerly waiting for new updates and the amounts of changes. As much as I loved DBM my impression was that some rosters were a bit... lacking - mainly the northern barbarians. And I always felt there was too little variation in foot archers.
    Please keep on the work!

Thanks, Denadereth. Working on DBM which is a very nice base is a big task so changing completely the setting to further in the past would be making a mod from scratch, something I will never do personaly. Rosters aren't my area but Rafmc is the big expert and he already made a lot.

A note on families trees, since I have not the time to read histories books while modding, I am simply making up some branches when wikipedia don't have the details or even a single name of 'secondary generals' beside the leaders/heirs. Quick informations are always welcome like stated in my other post.

About the rosters, yes, we now have the max cap reached, but I'm taking care to fill the last spaces for a few rosters, so as to have balance for all of them. Yes, the barbarians were needing some, already took care of them, and apart the Gauls (now Arverni), there are the Aedui and the Boii with two other different rosters, while the Britons have been moved to the Belgae (Britain is held by rebels, and two settlements on it)...

For some extra units, I'm deleting others which are sacrificable, and add for the remaining rosters (Saka, Noricum and Carthage need a bit more still), the rest has been done...

Then, in later moments, we will see about new Roman units: mainly I was thinking about historical Auxiliary Corps to be AOR, reproducing what has been done for the Legionnaires in their regions (although this will require other units to be removed), we'll see about it

I am of two minds regarding the Romans... one one hand I like the diversity of their legions and AOR recruitment fits them really well. On the other hand they have SO MANY units while other factions are much smaller and removing even more units so that they can be added to Romans is a bit of shame.

I was wondering about one thing - Carthage (my favourite faction by the way) has great units but as their weakness it is said they have poor access to local troops (love the local troops idea by the way), however as far as I know, historically, Carthage armies were formed mostly of mercenaries and forces non-native to Carthage (with the Sacred Band being a notable exception). Any comments on this?

Much appreciated and please, keep us posted on the progress.

Yes, I see your point... The Romans will be left at the very end, after we have the remaining rosters all balanced... Due to the new map and new factions, we can still delete a few remaining units to find space: the last resort, atm, is the set of Chinese Han units (if I delete them, I get the space for the very last units, then it's done)... we'll see this.

The other rosters have been boosted, the ones requiring focus... Hence, hehe, I'm gonna start with Carthage too: their army yes was built up by mercenary forces, although they had some sort of "regular" troops, the Liby-Phoenician corps, apart the elite guards. As of now, I'll make some skirmish/archer units to fill their last gaps (of these Liby-Phoen., troops which will not be shared with the Numidians, they have another roster)... The rest will be AOR based as always, via the barracks.

Later on, sure, I'll put some other screenies..

Great!

I'm so happy to hear you're working on all this.

is this new version of DBM going to be more stable then the old version and are the roman legion's historical names are going to be used again? i do like to have some historical authencity but like i play the game it feels like it doesn't work. because of using historical legions the romans are bound to there historical empire, maybe you should use a mechanic used in th expanded americas mod where units gets legio I or II or III or IV et cetera.

for the legions, well, they have already their location name (the region of belonging where they acted)... the aor btw is dynamic at the end, as for each zone you conquer you'll have the units operating in those regions (as said, I thought to do the same for the auxiliary corps if space remains)... Whereas, yep, good idea, we'll be adding the legionary names for each recruited troop (it's an EDU editing, something I'll start to take care of hopefully soon): the EDU, EDB, desc_merc will be based on tier systems and general slowered approach, I'll throw some guidelines in due time

Quote Originally Posted by killiat_thegreat View Post
    is this new version of DBM going to be more stable then the old version and are the roman legion's historical names are going to be used again?
    Can you develop on this stability issue? Many things have changed since the old version but I never played it and going over old bugs threads didn't help me much to figure out what bugs could have been left in the old 1.2. All I can say is that my short play tests didn't make surfacing any bugs but I can't really make a full play so...

I almost was tempted to delete the legions names since I don't see the use but luckily for those that may like it, I must have thought it was too much lines to delete for nothing...
    Last edited by selv; November 09, 2017 at 08:51 AM.

I love the ideas coming out of this, especially the revised map. I found it interesting that the Iberian peninsula is bigger than the rest of Europe Despite that it's really fun game to play. Can't wait to see some screens of the revised map.

The legion names will stay, no worry, and the legion number of recruitment will be added...

For the map, yes, we'll throw some screens, the time to adapt the new textures and other graphics/UIs (btw, is more European-centric now, with factions closer one another)...

It's a reduced map, there was no big redraw of territories, and Iberian peninsula isn't bigger than the rest of europe? I posted a map_region screen somewhere, if I can find it... Yep:
    https://imgur.com/a/S6nCg

And yes, Britannia is just perfect that way.
    Last edited by selv; November 09, 2017 at 12:44 PM.

Time by time selv, I'm gonna put new screens with the overhaul of graphics... (while about the size, yes, reduced and region borders reedited for the new settlements).

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast