Thread: How does this comapre to EBII?

Miles

Default How does this comapre to EBII?

After a long post-Shogun 2 hiatus I am just getting back into the franchise and considering to finally purchase Rome 2, but only if there's something that can hold its water to the EB/II experience. I don't expect this to be a carbon copy, but I am wondering just how exactly it compares to EBII, and if there may be anything that's much better about this than playing ME2/EBII, aside of the graphics.

So, can anyone who's played both tell me a bit more? Thanks in advance.

Master & Commander's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: How does this comapre to EBII?

Quote Originally Posted by Campylobacter jejuni View Post
    After a long post-Shogun 2 hiatus I am just getting back into the franchise and considering to finally purchase Rome 2, but only if there's something that can hold its water to the EB/II experience. I don't expect this to be a carbon copy, but I am wondering just how exactly it compares to EBII, and if there may be anything that's much better about this than playing ME2/EBII, aside of the graphics.

So, can anyone who's played both tell me a bit more? Thanks in advance.
    I never played EBII, but I did play EB on the original Rome, and I’ve played MEII so I will try to help you answer this question.

First VV isn’t finished yet, so it won’t be as polished as say EBII. They are still working on getting all the factions done, and the ones not finished yet have not been balanced, so right now the grand campaign can be a little frustrating to play. However the battle mechanics are all there, and if you do custom battles it’s hours of fun.

Now compared to EB there are some major differences, however it has the same kind of in-depth historical feel. It honestly reminds me a lot of playing EB back in the day. EB was bigger, but they had more leeway modding the older total war game and VV isn’t even finished yet. So it will feel closer to EB as they finish up the factions and everything else they are planning. However I would say the are comparable and both entertaining to play.

Also there is certainly more to playing Rome II over MEII other then just updated graphics. The gameplay is smoother, I think the UI is better, unit pathfinidng, while still frustrating at times is much improved, city management for better or worse is completely changed, and honestly the AI is better.

Now I know most people hold up MEII as the end all be all of Total War, and I do this myself with the original Rome, however as I never played MEII when I was younger, and only coming to it later on, I can honestly say while it is a very fun game and must have been amazing when it was new, it isn’t up to the same level overall as the newer Total War games, and neither is my beloved Rome. So I would give Rome II a chance and download VV. I think you will be surprised. It’s also pretty cheap on Steam, and you can probably wait till it’s on sale for cheaper if you really wanted. You won’t be disappointed, especially with VV installed, and it will hopefully remind you of EB, I know it did for me.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: How does this comapre to EBII?

If you don't mind a more narrow scenario than the grand campaign, I'd say Hellenika alone, the mod concentrating on the Wrath of Sparta DLC scene, could be worth purchasing R2. Definitely add VV to that when the latter is finished.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place