Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Move Character Command

Tiro

Default Re: Move Character Command

I was only trying to move him back inside the city, i moved him to set up a watch tower and the position was too far for him to come back in one turn. Just that. It is not important at all. It is only a matter if we can find the name to use the character_reset or move_character ( not sure if you can use move_character to move a FM or army inside a city) with him. I dont "need" to move him at all, but id like to know if we are able to find the way to do it.

Regards:

melvidh

You can't move characters into or out of settlements with move_character. Not on the console, nor with the script.

I think technically you can but it makes them invisible and it does bad things. Definitely don't do it.

For some reason my character is always sent to 0,0 regardless of the coordinates. Anyone has an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everwerkself View Post
    For some reason my character is always sent to 0,0 regardless of the coordinates. Anyone has an explanation?
    We'll need a lot more context to answer that. What are you doing?

I tried to move a Roman family member to Rome in time for the elections. The command I used was "move_character [character name] 260,130". The character was outside his settlement and the coordinates were just next to Rome itself. The command moved him but to 0,0 which is at the lower left corner of the map in the sahara. I tried different spacings and different coordinates but it always puts him there. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.. I guess it's not a common issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everwerkself View Post
    I tried to move a Roman family member to Rome in time for the elections. The command I used was "move_character [character name] 260,130". The character was outside his settlement and the coordinates were just next to Rome itself. The command moved him but to 0,0 which is at the lower left corner of the map in the sahara. I tried different spacings and different coordinates but it always puts him there. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.. I guess it's not a common issue?
    That is literally the first time I've ever heard someone report this problem.

0,0 is the defaut location where your character will be moved if you don't put coordinates after the name.

Since your character is moving, the character name is good. But since the coordinates are default ones, your problem reside before or in the coordinates your type.

Could you give me the name of the character ? Maybe you use a two part name when the program recognise already the first one, and consider the second name as a coordinate, try to read it, couldn't manage the data and send it to 0,0.

Give use the real command you use, not the command with placeholders.

It was a Roman named Lucius Cornelius Scipio, I think, and written in-game with Vs for Us so the command was "move_character Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio 260,130". And as I said, I tried different spacings for the coordinates but didn't think of changing or shortening the name.

That's not a valid data name for a Roman character, and any name longer than a single word has to be book-cased between quotation marks. What you see on the display isn't necessarily what they are called behind the scenes.

His name is "Lvcivs Romanvs", the correct command is:

Code:
    move_character "Lvcivs Romanvs" 260,130
    To get the correct data names of starting characters, you need to find them in the descr_strat.

It is probable the game tried to send "Lvcivs" to the coordinates "Cornelivs".

If you use the space character, always set your data between quotes because space is used as a separator between the function and variables :

try : move_character Lvcivs 260,130 or move_character "Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio" 260,130

The second solution would not work specifically here because as QS said : the real name of romans generals is not the name seen in game.

But always keep in mind that if you add a space, you stop to command something and start to design an object or variable.

"move_character Lvcivs 160,130" worked! Thanks a lot!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Each character has two names: a first name and a last name. Sometimes that last name is empty and just the first name is enough. Additionally, characters can earn what is called an epithet, e.g. "Africanus" or for spies "the Deceiving". This hides their true last name and makes it harder to remember the right code name for them for use with the commands. Unfortunately, Romans often have three names, so there is no way to have the full name of a character be the code name. Instead, the gens system is implemented using epithets on traits. So Manivs Attivs Balbvs actually has a code name of "Romanvs" but it's overwritten for display purposes by his trait Gens Attivs which applies the Attivs Balbvs epithet. So to reference him, you would need "Manivs Romanvs". The trouble with that is if there are more than one Manivs characters, you may only be able to address one and not the other. For further fun, there are unique versions of each first name in code that appear the same. For example, if you see a Captain Qvintvs, you might have to try "Captain Qvintvs" or "Captain QvintvsA" or "Captain QvintvsB" all the way up to K or so. This is something set by the team in order to control the probability of certain names appearing by giving them multiple entries in the names file. This messes with characters, though, because, for example, you can have a character born who is actually "ManivsB Romanvs" and that term would work. But, once you've saved your game, it seems to flatten out the variants and now he becomes just regular 'Manivs Romanvs'.

e.g. at the start of a Roman game, you have Manivs Cvrivs Dentatvs ("Manivs Romanvs") and Manivs Valerivs Maximvs ("ManivsA Romanvs"). As long as you don't load from a save, you can move them separately with Manivs and ManivsA. But once you reload your game from a save, then the A gets dropped and you can only use "Manivs Romanvs", and it will only refer to one of them. Probably Dentatvs. And then you can't address the other except by "this" as z3n says, which works in at least some of the situations. This is all moot if "this" works for moving/resetting and my mind will be blown
    No offense to whoever created the Roman naming system, but that's incredibly silly considering the obvious solution that should have been implemented: surnames should just be the gens. Period.

For instance, Manivs Attivs Balbvs should just be "Manivs Attivs", that is, his praenomen combined with his gens. His cognomen epithet should be irrelevant, randomly assigned based on the trait system. This becomes an even more painfully obvious solution when generals gain new cognomen epithets, like "Africanvs", "Germanicvs", "Corpvlentvs", or "Avgvstvs". It's totally non-historical how the game displays the name. For instance, the game displays names as "Manivs Africanvs" with the gens no longer showing (!!!), instead of "Manivs Attivs Africanvs", which it should be.

You know, like the famous generals "Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus" or "Lucius Cornelius Scipio Asiaticus". They weren't called "Pvblivs Africanvs" or "Lvcivs Asiaticvs". That's absurd.

Also, the "this" thing does not work for console commands if you are trying to "move_character". Not sure about traits or ancillaries, never tried it.

"this" works for traits and ancillaries; it has to be one of your characters, they need to be outside a settlement and selected.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    "this" works for traits and ancillaries; it has to be one of your characters, they need to be outside a settlement and selected.
    Yep! You're right! I just confirmed it in my own campaign. Huh. You learn something new every day! Now the hardest part will be resisting the temptation to use it at all, outside of very specific role playing purposes.

Can yo tell me how did you make work the force_diplomacy cheat please? I have never been able to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Kokito View Post
    Can yo tell me how did you make work the force_diplomacy cheat please? I have never been able to do so
    It's integrated into the diplomacy scroll. Put up your proposal, click on the "?", then click to put it forward. If they are able to accept it, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokito View Post
    It's integrated into the diplomacy scroll. Put up your proposal, click on the "?", then click to put it forward. If they are able to accept it, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It always works for me! I'm not sure why other people would have any problems with it.

Many thanks Quintus! I shall try it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast