Thread: Longbowmen Stakes

Default Longbowmen Stakes

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my yeomen/longbowmen archers to deploy their defensive spikes. I keep getting attacked by cavalry and because England lacks heavy spearmen I need something to stop their charges! I've tried activating guard mode but that didn't seem to do anything. What do I need to click to deploy those stakes?

Default Re: Longbowmen Stakes

hi smitty, you only got the option to deploy stakes during the deployment phase before the battle, you will find the icon to deploy then where your special abillity icon should apear.
    once you have started the battle you cant redeploy them again
    Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.- EAlfonso the Wise, King of Castile,

Commander_Vimes's Avatar Campidoctor

could you get like 3 lots of longbowmen and deploy stakes all around so u can't get flanked by the cavalry then jest but some infantry in guard mode at the front

kendal000's Avatar Libertus

to be honest because you cant deploy them more than once i never use them they are a waste of time and plus if you forget about em and move your cavalry into them by mistake it will kil them to. england has plenty of spearmen. any spearmen can stop a charge and if you dont feel safe having them in a single rank line them up in ranks of two.
    if at first you dont succeed, maybe bomb disposal isnt for you.

Kendal I have to say I do not argee, stakes are a very important part of English Bowmen. If you deploy stakes that mean you can use heavy infantry as your front line (much better than spearmen) and not have to worry about cavalry. You also end up with a surplus of spearmen, which you can use to more efectivly guard your flanks from cavalry. And lastly, if you use spearmen very heavily, you can now drop a few of them and bring a few more units into your main stack.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

The best use of stakes (by far) that I have found is deploying them just behind your gates, so as the enemy cavalry comes charging through the doorway, SPIKED! Has always been very effective at creating a bottleneck/killzone at the gates.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

Bridges are also very good ways of deploying spikes and creating killing fields.

In the open field I tend to deply my spearment with the archers. Place spikes (with refused flanks) and then, when the battle starts, withdraw the archers to behind the spearmen (who are already in place).

I find this works well.

Jannisary Archers also get stakes.

The main use I have for them is to protect my DEKs from being wiped out by a charge from mailed knights. I protect one flank with an obstacle and place my armies like this:

""""""""""""""""""
    !!!!![[[[[!!!!!>
    {{{{{{{{{{>
    ..................CCCCC

C=cavalry
    "=stakes
    [=DEKs
    !=Armoured swordsmen
    {Yeoman archers
    ^=Heavy billmen

The Archers deploy their stakes with an obstacle on one flank. The Heavies form a line behind. the cav go on the flank and the heavy bills deploy on the flank facing at 90dgrees from the main line. when the batlle starts the main line advances and the archers retreat. This formation uses the stakes to protect the army from cavalry charges to the front. attacks against my cav by the enemies cav or infantry are intercepted by my heavy bills. Attacks against them are intercepted by my cav. Also the stakes have a good chance of slowing the main body of enemy infantry meaning i can charge them and get a bonus counter charge. used this when the venicians attacked me with a full stack of mailed knights. I love it when i have to come up with a new formation when faced with a challenge. Like my hoplite hexagon from Rome.
    Last edited by Serious Spamurai; January 02, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Stakes are good stuff...

Fighting squares is where it's at. If you're careful, you can set up the stakes so they overlap and leave no gaps for enemy horses to run through. Or, you can strategically leave a flank open as a trap.

Then, when the battle starts, you can reposition your archers away from the stakes and into the center of the square, and move your heavy infantry in between the stakes and archers in case enemy infantry gets through.

Add a couple of artillery units (trebuchet, etc) in the fighting square, and you have an almost invulnerable firebase with which to bombard your enemies while your cavalry (still outside) does the maneuver warfare, hitting the enemy then running close to your base (don't run into your own stakes) for safety

kleemann's Avatar Libertus

Looks like i have to add battle engineers unit into game with ability to place stakes..

that would be cool!