Thread: Warhammer I DLC sale on Steam. Which ones to pick?

Default Warhammer I DLC sale on Steam. Which ones to pick?

Basic game is also -50%, and those DLC expect Norsca are -33%. Kinda lame discount, but thats beside the point. Question is, which of these dlc are actually worth it? In another words, which were the ones you enjoyed the most?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Warhammer I DLC sale on Steam. Which ones to pick?

Depends what you like to play. If core races, then probably Grim+Grave / Warlords+Kings as they are adding RoR to your play and more legendary lords to your factions. The rest are complete races / minicampaigns. Probably the best is for Wood Elves. Chaos is more fun for more people than Beastmen, it is cheaper and without minicampaign and had bad reputation as WH1 preorder day 1 DLC, but it was improved with latest patch. Beastmen are quite unique but still probably the last choice..

EDIT: and yeah, Norsca in future will be quite good too. Actually my choice would be:

0)Grim+Grave/Warlords+Kings for core races
    1)Norsca
    2)Wood Elves
    3)Chaos
    4)Beastmen
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 02, 2017 at 06:05 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Without the DLC the race are still in the game and you can fight against them. So the DLC is only worth getting if you want to play as that faction.

I just got the Warhammer I game at 50% off. I didn't bother getting any DLC at the 33% off. ....the one with extra heroes and renowned units look interesting though.

Grim and the Grave does add enough for sure as most people will play Empire or Vampire Counts at some point. The King and Warlord is good if you like Dwarfs or Greenskins. The Wood Elves and Chaos packs are ok. Wood Elves might be a fun campaign claiming Ulthuan for their own in Mortal Empires while the Chaos pack does add a few units to Chaos that you can fight against though the AI hardly ever uses those units currently they might in the future and for $5 its not bad.

Norsca is actually quite good but since it is not on sale (though still less than Beastmen and Wood Elves) I'd consider it. The only caveat is that Norsca won't be playable for weeks to months since it is not included in Mortal Empires or the first patch already confirmed by CA. If you haven't played Warhammer at all that might not be a big deal as there is plenty of content meanwhile but while I'd say you should buy it eventually since there is no sale also no rush.

Beastmen are just not worth it in my opinion unless you are a fan of them. Horde faction so no cities and they are missing some units and rely mostly on ambushes. Their mini map campaign is better than Wood Elves though but not worth $12 just for that especially with likely much better DLC coming for game 2 in the next couple of months.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Hm, the Best ones were Wood Elves and Norsca. Very cool and well realized factions with unique mechanics and fun playstyles and awesome legendary lords.

Chaos DLC is pretty meh. It adds a few units to the chaos rooster and lets you play as chaos and their three LL, In my opinion the most boring campaign race with the least unique mechanics. Norsca all but made them obsolete as they are better at being chaos than chaos.
    Beastmen: You get a really bad mini campaign and Beastmen. Beastmen are a horde faction and has improved mechanics over Chaos but otherwise pretty forgettable DLC.
    Grim and the Grave for Empire and Vampire Counts is also pretty meh, it adds two pretty forgettable legendary lords and some good regular units to the empire and vampires and RoR to both races. If you are planning to play a long campaign as these factions, the DLC is worth is as the Regiments of renown are really good and fun to use, otherwise skip it.
    King and the Warlord: A counterpart to the above, but you get new start positions in addition to two really cool Legendary Lords and some ok new units. The difference here is that the campaign as the new legendary lords is actually really good (And difficult) The RoR's here are more icing on the cake than anything. Good DLC if you like Dwarves or Orks.
    So Wood Elf DLC definitively. You get a ok mini campaign and good legendary lords, good campaign mechanics and a really well desingned faction on par with the WH2 races.
    Norsca similarly get a really good and well designed campaign with lots of unique features and unit roster. Basically chaos 2.0. However this is not added to the Mortal Empires campaign yet. Will probably be some time before the DLC is added.
    Last edited by Påsan; October 26, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

You're lucky if you're not like me, because I'm irritated and unhappy if I do not have all the dlc/addons available. Although I do not like the policy of cutting content and selling separately used by CA, but I have no choice

Quote Originally Posted by musketer View Post
    You're lucky if you're not like me, because I'm irritated and unhappy if I do not have all the dlc/addons available. Although I do not like the policy of cutting content and selling separately used by CA, but I have no choice
    I agree that CA released some cloned units as DLC in the past with really poor value but most of the Warhammer DLC with unique units, magic lores, etc does actually take some developer time and so has a fair cost for that. However if you really want to own all the DLC but don't like the prices... wait for next summer sale or something because more DLC is coming.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the sum I planed to use on DLC went to Halloween sale. But I go with these comments next time DLC are on the sale.