Thread: Antipope

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Antipope

I never saw this until I downloaded SS with the bug fix add on. So what is this priest trait? I came across this will playing England with Duke Robert not remaining in Caen. Seems a bit ahistorical since at least in the 12th century this is a creation of the HRE in their battle with the Rome centered influence on the religion.

Default Re: Antipope

a catholic priest has a chance to get this trait if your country becomes excommunicated, not really much to it beyond that... it might add piety, I forget.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Thanks for the response, but this was with England at the beginning of the campaign (turn 2 0r 3). I thought that maybe it was due to Duke Robert not claiming the Duke of Normandy thing so I tried again with a fresh campaign with the Heir remaining in Caen. I started another campaign as Denmark and the same antipope thing happened on turn 2 (?). In no case has the papal favor had time to falter. It appears that the speed of the bishop's movement is increased. This cannot be found in either the bug reports or the fixes. I assume it is something either not fixable or in some ways intended since it has been a while since the bug fix was updated.

Is this SS 6.4 youre playing? Any special mods?
    Cause Ive nere seen happen what youre describing.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Is this SS 6.4 youre playing? Any special mods?
    Cause Ive nere seen happen what youre describing.
    It started after loading in the bug fix. It seems a few minor irritants started at that time. This is one of the irritants. Thanks for any help though. I find it amazing that I am unique with the problem.

If it helps the other irritants are an error message (just really the word 'error') in bright red beside the mini map and a bit of path finding freezing after one or two units are redeployed on the battle map when assaulting a settlement. The path finding and movement is restored after the battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    It started after loading in the bug fix. It seems a few minor irritants started at that time. This is one of the irritants. Thanks for any help though. I find it amazing that I am unique with the problem.

If it helps the other irritants are an error message (just really the word 'error') in bright red beside the mini map and a bit of path finding freezing after one or two units are redeployed on the battle map when assaulting a settlement. The path finding and movement is restored after the battle begins.
    You are not alone. The same weird trait occurs to my bishop when playing as Spain on the first turn. It keeps showing up every turn, and I am not excommunicated or in trouble with the pope. On or about turn 5, I got a message that I was excommunicated and therefore my priest had gotten this trait, but when I looked in the Pope box, I was not excommunicated.

This weird, random trait gives your bishop a vast movement range, but does not really increase the piety by 4, as it claims in the export_traits file. It is also triggered by being Byzantium and having your religion be catholic in one instance and the other is being excommunicated. This trait is bugged badly and probably should just be removed from the game. The weird trigger mechanism is enough to show that it will not work as intended.

Here are the crazy triggers for this trait:

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger priest_antipope_priest0
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition AgentType = priest
    and CharFactionType byzantium
    and Attribute Piety > 4
    and I_EventCounter Antipope = 0
    and Trait PriestLevel = 0
    and FactionReligion catholic

Affects PriestLevel 4 Chance 100

Trigger priest_antipope_priest1

and Attribute Piety > 4
    and Trait PriestLevel = 1

Affects PriestLevel 3 Chance 100

Trigger priest_antipope_priest2

and Attribute Piety > 4
    and Trait PriestLevel = 2

Affects PriestLevel 2 Chance 100
    Affects WasCardinal 1 Chance 100

Look at the second one! Anyone who has a cardinal will get it.

I also get this weird message while playing Portugal or Spain (and probably any other faction):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antipope.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	366920

I'm gonna try and remove this whole antipope thing from my SS mod. That means going into the campaign script and erasing stuff there as well.

I think I have found a way to fix this problem without removing all the antipope stuff. I merely inserted the following conditions in two of the triggers which seemed to be missing something that was logical and needed for them to work right. I added the red highlighted conditions:

Trigger priest_antipope_priest0

and CharFactionType byzantium
    and Attribute Piety > 4
    and Trait PriestLevel = 0

Affects PriestLevel 4 Chance 100

Trigger priest_antipope_priest1

and FactionExcommunicated
    and Attribute Piety > 4
    and Trait PriestLevel = 1

Affects PriestLevel 3 Chance 100

Trigger priest_antipope_priest2

and FactionExcommunicated
    and Attribute Piety > 4
    and Trait PriestLevel = 2

Affects PriestLevel 2 Chance 100
    Affects WasCardinal 1 Chance 100

This stopped the antipope trait dead in its tracks on the first two turns of the game. After 5 turns, I was satisfied that it was gone. I have no idea what that first trigger regarding byzantium being catholic is about. No idea. Probably another typo. Problem solved for now.