Thread: Dark Riders vs Skaven Missile infantry

Default Dark Riders vs Skaven Missile infantry

I was pretty far ahead in my Dark Elves campaign and one thing just annoyed me a bit. Im using Dark Riders with shields as my shock cavalry and they got beat by Skaven missile units. I think it was Night runners. I don't understand how charge didn't even do a thing to them and they out ran my cavalry, shooting while running and they finished them off in melee. Shouldn't cavalry crush them with a powerful charge? Those were Skaven units without even single chevron of XP. Standard first level infantry. Am I missing something here?

Default Re: Dark Riders vs Skaven Missile infantry

Dark Riders are basically light/medium cavalry with a decent charge- they will not last in melee vs anything more than unarmored archers and even those can give problems on higher difficulties- their main purpose is cycle charging or running down routing units. Skaven Runners of all types are stepped up version of Clanrats and actually probably superior to Stormvermin with sword/shield in pure damage potential vs most opponents. They have 30% resistance so about double their melee defence if it was shown by that stat. Even Silverhelms have trouble vs Runners. You'll need Cold One Knights or Shades to deal with runners efficiently though Darkshards with shields can also take them out it is alot of micro since the Skaven will constantly move around/rout reform and you'll have to be moving the Darkshards around alot. Reapr bolt throwers also massacre them but since they usually sneak around the map its rare the Reapers will get clear open shots at them though you could use the Dark Riders more as scouts for the Reapers that will also take awhile.

I got it why my charge was so inefective. Those Skavens got ability called net that can stop enemy unit for few seconds. They were smartly using it on my cavalrymen while they were charging and then engage in melee.

Dark Riders are light Cavalry you can use them against Missile Units
    but against Hybrid Units they will already have a difficult time

and Guterrunners will have your Dark Riders for Lunch

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee