Thread: Raiding in 2.3

Default Raiding in 2.3

Do I have to move an army every round to raid?

Default Re: Raiding in 2.3

Every 2 turns. Basically, if you see the tile the FM is standing on devastated, you can move on to another tile.

Every other turn. It takes a turn of being sat in place (ie having not moved) to do it. You'll notice the devastation under your tile.

Raiding:

- Move your army into enemy territory
    - End Turn
    - Don't move the army (check your finance screen to see what the estimated treasury balance will be next turn)
    - End Turn
    - Look at your finance screen - it will be roughly 800 higher than previously estimated (that's how you know you gained the raiding income)

To gain more raiding income, repeat the above sequence (i.e. move the army to a new location)
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Raiding:

- Move your army into enemy territory
    - End Turn
    - Don't move the army (check your finance screen to see what the estimated treasury balance will be next turn)
    - End Turn
    - Look at your finance screen - it will be roughly 800 higher than previously estimated (that's how you know you gained the raiding income)

To gain more raiding income, repeat the above sequence (i.e. move the army to a new location)
    One further addition - it doesn't matter how big the army is, or even if you have one. The only thing that matters is that an FM is present. If you put 3 different FMs on 3 different tiles, they will get 800 mnai each.

A good tactic for nomadic factions is to do this in autumn/winter. Put your basic units into your settlements (to take advantage of the doubled free upkeep) and put your FMs out to "pasture" in enemy territory with any units that don't get free upkeep, to raise some income. Then come spring you re-merge your armies having raised a little and saved some, ready for a new campaigning season.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    One further addition - it doesn't matter how big the army is, or even if you have one. The only thing that matters is that an FM is present. If you put 3 different FMs on 3 different tiles, they will get 800 mnai each.

A good tactic for nomadic factions is to do this in autumn/winter. Put your basic units into your settlements (to take advantage of the doubled free upkeep) and put your FMs out to "pasture" in enemy territory with any units that don't get free upkeep, to raise some income. Then come spring you re-merge your armies having raised a little and saved some, ready for a new campaigning season.
    There's a risk/reward issue too, of course. Single FMs leading small armies (or even out there on their own) have a "not small" chance of becoming "traitors to your people"! Plus, the last time I did this and had a single FM being "guarded" by a spy, the FM revolted anyway and killed the spy in the process.
    EBII Council

It's also beneficial to switch raiding FMs into ambush mode. Especially useful if they are on their own, as they are prime targets for any enemy army stalking around.

Colos

is there a difference between raiding in high fertility land and low fertility

also whats an "FM" ?

FM - Family member (general)

Quote Originally Posted by Madpizzaboy View Post
    is there a difference between raiding in high fertility land and low fertility
    No.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    FM - Family member (general)
    Note: technically not all generals are FMs, but in the TWC slang in most cases, they're meant to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Note: technically not all generals are FMs, but in the TWC slang in most cases, they're meant to be the same.
    That is true, most of the game I have just one or few generals, rest of them are governors, students, supply officers or lower rank battle commanders, and of course captains of raiding parties. But I called them all generals and didn't knew what FM is when I came here.

What about raiding on devestated tiles? Or staying in enemy territory? Like if I moved my FM to enemy territory, used that spot as a base for my raiding operation and stayed there for a year. Do I get loot second time?

I think it is calculated from devastation caused, so I'm not sure if you get money by returning to an already devastated tile. But you have to be in enemy territory for sure. Also, 2 turns are just enough, no less, no more, so leaving the FM there for a year does nothing extra.

Factions starting beside an Eremos region are in an easier position, by the way, as they are bordering a huge and unconquerable enemy region.

Colos

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    There's a risk/reward issue too, of course. Single FMs leading small armies (or even out there on their own) have a "not small" chance of becoming "traitors to your people"! Plus, the last time I did this and had a single FM being "guarded" by a spy, the FM revolted anyway and killed the spy in the process.
    I had 5 raiders and I was betrayed by 3 of them (everyone in FM tree exept King and succesor). They were also in charge of my cavalry so when they turned on me they wiped out my large army of light infanry and shirmishers without loss. Few turns in campaign and I was without army or FM's with cavalry rebel stack lurking around. Since then only my loyal nobles get armies for raids and nobles who hasnt proved loyalty yet stand near raiding army to get loot while protected by main party in middle. It is risky business.

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    I think it is calculated from devastation caused, so I'm not sure if you get money by returning to an already devastated tile. But you have to be in enemy territory for sure. Also, 2 turns are just enough, no less, no more, so leaving the FM there for a year does nothing extra.

Factions starting beside an Eremos region are in an easier position, by the way, as they are bordering a huge and unconquerable enemy region.

Colos
    Well, it makes me feel better to devastate larger area in my neighbor's territory anyway .

Feels good, right?

yeah i've been trying this raiding business, lost two FMs in 4 turns.

It says that you have to be in "hostile" territory. Does that mean eleuthoroi or playable factions or both?

Someone you're at war with. You're always at war with the Eleutheroi so that counts, and if you're in territory owned by a faction you must be at war with them.