Thread: Are there any units from export_descr_units that aren't used in the game/main campaign?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon5 Are there any units from export_descr_units that aren't used in the game/main campaign?

I ask this because I have just discovered that export_descr_units contains the maximum amount of available unit slots, meaning that I cannot add any new units to the game. Not unless I remove one or more that already exist. I just want to add one more dismounted knight type, but I got an error message that says the following:

Code:
    08:10:45.922 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : max records exceeded from file mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt.
    So then, are there any units that aren't used at all? I could be wrong, but it seems like all the mercenary units are used, even the stupid pilgrims and flagellants and religious fanatics that are available during Crusade. I'm already more than 50 turns into my present campaign with a recent Crusade that just finished against the Fatamid Caliphate, so there are undoubtedly a few of Catholic factions with these Crusader-exclusive mercenaries floating around. I can't just remove those mid-game.

Surely there's one worthless lightly-armored and poorly-trained unit that can piss off so that I can add another glorious dismounted knight type!

Default Re: Are there any units from export_descr_units that aren't used in the game/main campaign?

I wouldn't recommend making changes to the EDU mid-game anyway.
    Better to make the changes
    Then Check the merc, the rebel factions and EDB files to remove the unit/s from those.
    Then start a new campaign.

Default Re: Are there any units from export_descr_units that aren't used in the game/main campaign?

I figured this would be the advice I'd get, but I was hoping, perhaps foolishly, that I could bypass this and do it mid-game.

Just to be clear, though, you can actually do a lot of editing of the export_descr_unit file during mid-campaign without causing CTDs. I did some testing, changing mounts and unit sizes and officers/captains, and you can do all those sorts of things. Therefore I think it does have something to do with the lack of available unit slots, than just general tampering with the file during mid-game.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

If you make changes that only affect the EDU alone, most of the time you won't get any CTD. However, doing this in mid-game will affect your current game/campaign anyway.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Actually, I've discovered that my problem has nothing to do with mid-game campaigns, since the game crashes simply upon loading. I wouldn't even be able to start a new campaign. I think it's because the EDU file has reached the maximum amount of available unit slots, a hard coded issue with the game and not something specific to this mod per se. With that out of the way, I would just like to know if there are any units that are not used in the campaign. Perhaps one of the naval ship units?

Are you using RC? If so, go to the mercenaries file or the EDB and find a unit that does not yet appear based on what the year is in your current game, and remove it. Then remove it from the EDU, add your new unit in to that and the EDB.

Removing it from the mercs file would be a better choice because RC balances unit availability with frequency etc. I think the mercs file is based on year of availability so you could remove from that regardless of if you are using RC.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 28, 2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Are you using RC? If so, go to the mercenaries file or the EDB and find a unit that does not yet appear based on what the year is in your current game, and remove it. Then remove it from the EDU, add your new unit in to that and the EDB.

Removing it from the mercs file would be a better choice because RC balances unit availability with frequency etc. I think the mercs file is based on year of availability so you could remove from that regardless of if you are using RC.
    It worked like a charm! Thanks a million. I went into the descr_mercenaries file within the "imperial campaign" folder and removed "Black Band Arquebusiers", who only appear in northern Italy after the year 1510. Northern Italy will still have regular "Mercenary Arquebusiers" for recruitment, so it's essentially just removing an extra arquebusier unit. I almost never use mercenaries anyway, and I rarely play past the year 1550, so I would have a limited amount of time to use them. If I'm an Italian faction (and usually any other faction), all of Italy is conquered by my forces by the 14th-15th centuries anyway, so the AI never really gets to recruit them either. I'd much rather just recruit regular arquebusiers and if I play long enough the musketeers from my cities. I spend a lot more time using the primitive 14th-century hand gunners and 15th-century style arquebusiers anyway.

merc file is not savegame compatible afaik, u gota start new campaign

you can change a whole lot of things in EDU and not have to start a new campaign, i personally never added or deleted any unit in any mod, always transformed them, you can turn Black Band Arquebusiers into a Monster Bombard or Elephant unit for example and not have to start new camapign, this way you are also sure you never have problems with unit limit

also use the "system.log" file inside the SS6.3 folder to see what the problem is when a CTD happens, if it's an error in EDU or EDB it will usually tell you exactly where it is

you can change a whole lot of things in EDU and not have to start a new campaign, i personally never added or deleted any unit in any mod, always transformed them, you can turn Black Band Arquebusiers into a Monster Bombard or Elephant unit for example and not have to start new camapign, this way you are also sure you never have problems with unit limit
    That's actually a good point. I could have easily just done that and retained the EDU file name "Black Band Arquebusiers," although I would obviously edit the text file description and pictures for unit_info and the unit-card avatar. To be honest, I don't desire to change many things at all, just a few tweaks here and there to make the game more interesting.

Also, you're apparently wrong about mid-campaign tinkering with the descr_mercenaries file. I did that already and my new dismounted knight unit works! It's in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    To be honest, I don't desire to change many things at all, just a few tweaks here and there to make the game more interesting
    hehe, only a tweak here and there, that's how it always starts, thought the same too, now my game plays entirely different

Also, you're apparently wrong about mid-campaign tinkering with the descr_mercenaries file. I did that already and my new dismounted knight unit works! It's in the game.

fire-fox's Avatar Laetus

hi,

Sorry for that reply somewhat away from your inquiry but it seems that you,
    have experience in editing issues

can you tell me how to edit recruitment&upkeep cost in EDU file ??

Quote Originally Posted by fire-fox View Post
    hi,

Sorry for that reply somewhat away from your inquiry but it seems that you,
    have experience in editing issues

can you tell me how to edit recruitment&upkeep cost in EDU file ??
    just open the EDU file and read what is written at the the top, it explains all

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    just open the EDU file and read what is written at the the top, it explains all
    You beat me to it.

hehe, only a tweak here and there, that's how it always starts, thought the same too, now my game plays entirely different
    Yep, and before you know it, your mod suddenly has HRE troops using StG 44 fully-automatic rifles against Novgorod troops wielding AK-47s.

Yep, and before you know it, your mod suddenly has HRE troops using StG 44 fully-automatic rifles against Novgorod troops wielding AK-47s.
    *X-Files theme plays*

well this is strange cause i am really considering/dreaming to make a ww2 mod, chances of it happening are very low though

*X-Files theme plays*

well this is strange cause i am really considering/dreaming to make a ww2 mod, chances of it happening are very low though
    It would be great if someone could make a hilariously anachronistic and nonsensical mod where Hitler leads the HRE and Stalin leads the Republic of Novgorod. However, not only would they have WWII-era photos of them for their unit cards and such on the campaign map, but they would also look and be dressed like Hitler and Stalin as mounted generals on the battle map. Imagine a unit of Gothic knights led by Hitler charging into a unit of mounted Boyars' Sons led by Stalin.

It would be great if someone could make a hilariously anachronistic and nonsensical mod where Hitler leads the HRE and Stalin leads the Republic of Novgorod. However, not only would they have WWII-era photos of them for their unit cards and such on the campaign map, but they would also look and be dressed like Hitler and Stalin as mounted generals on the battle map. Imagine a unit of Gothic knights led by Hitler charging into a unit of mounted Boyars' Sons led by Stalin.
    i got the idea for such mod by playing Thera Legacy of the great torment, there's a faction called Faustian Reich which has german looking 18-19th century units, pretty cool stuff

Lol. Faustian Reich. That just sounds funny.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

With De Gaulle for France, Franco for Spain, Mussolini for Genoa or Sicily and Churchill for England
    What a game
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Lol. Faustian Reich. That just sounds funny.
    well if you think that's funny consider the fact that there's also uruk hai, samurai, roman legionaries, crusaders, ayyubids, vikings, conquistadores, native americans, janissaries, spartans etc etc factions in that mod