Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

We're going with the restoration of prec for 2.35 - feedback combined with internal playtesting is pretty clear that it's better than the present situation. Both for getting functional charges out of javelin-armed infantry (of which there are a lot of units) and the impact on phalanx infiltration by those same units. There will also be a slight increase in mass for phalanx units, while non-phalanx units are capped at 1.2, all of which should mean pikemen are something to be feared again. Though not overpowered as they were in EB1.

It does mean you lose the ability to set your infantry on "fire at will" (not entirely sure why that happens when we enable prec, but it does), but that's a small price to pay for improved battle functionality all round. Plus the distinction between your line infantry and real skirmishers is much clearer.

This sounds a sensible choice. Looking forward to trying this out. Thanks everyone who was involved.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We're going with the restoration of prec for 2.35 - feedback combined with internal playtesting is pretty clear that it's better than the present situation. Both for getting functional charges out of javelin-armed infantry (of which there are a lot of units) and the impact on phalanx infiltration by those same units. There will also be a slight increase in mass for phalanx units, while non-phalanx units are capped at 1.2, all of which should mean pikemen are something to be feared again. Though not overpowered as they were in EB1.

It does mean you lose the ability to set your infantry on "fire at will" (not entirely sure why that happens when we enable prec, but it does), but that's a small price to pay for improved battle functionality all round. Plus the distinction between your line infantry and real skirmishers is much clearer.
    If you only achieve half whats intended.. it will be a great improvement, sounds great to me. Ill sure play another hellenistic campaign when 2.35 is out to see what we get. Keep the good work you are doing guys!

Regards:

melvidh

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Thanks everyone who was involved.
    Folks should give a rep boost to Aper. His comment that prec solved the "phalanx penetration" problem is what prompted us to re-look at prec, and to find the other stat changes which have largely diminished (if not completely eliminated) the "freeze" issue. I can't even begin to describe how much better battles "feel" under these new conditions:

- Under the old system, I was able to consistently rout an elite unit of Agema Phalangitai with a single unit of untrained Hastati. Now the Agema just laugh at them (as they should).
    - You'll find that in deploying a battle line of phalanx infantry, the phalangitai take the majority of their casualties on the flanks, not in the center of the line.
    - Javelin infantry now race toward the enemy, hurl javelins at a distance, and then actually CHARGE their opponents. They don't race up to the line, stop, and then tip-toe incrementally into battle. What an ugly look that was.
    - And unengaged javelin infantry don't sit back hurling javelins at random nearby units. They hold onto those javelins until told to attack a particular target, and only THEN bring them into play.
    EBII Council

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds like a great improvement, I´m really looking forward to next EB II version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    - And unengaged javelin infantry don't sit back hurling javelins at random nearby units. They hold onto those javelins until told to attack a particular target, and only THEN bring them into play.
    Aw damnit. Found it quite useful sticking javelin infantry (e.g. Thureophoroi or similar) behind the line as a reserve & sticking fire at will on in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    Aw damnit. Found it quite useful sticking javelin infantry (e.g. Thureophoroi or similar) behind the line as a reserve & sticking fire at will on in the meantime.
    You can still do something equivalent, they'll just require micro-management to prevent them following through with the charge after loosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    It is funny because when I first started playing EBII (after years playing RTW mods) I was surprised to see that my infantry did not engage after ordering them to attack (they were javelin infantry of course). So I'm happy that now it will revert to what was like in the past, being more realistic x)

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Folks should give a rep boost to Aper. His comment that prec solved the "phalanx penetration" problem is what prompted us to re-look at prec, and to find the other stat changes which have largely diminished (if not completely eliminated) the "freeze" issue. I can't even begin to describe how much better battles "feel" under these new conditions
    I was just trying everything I could think of...
    I remembered I somewhere read that in RTW missile units without "prec" get penalties in melee (not sure if it's true), and so I tried if it makes any difference. It does, but not in the way I expected!

Biarchus

What is "prec"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    What is "prec"?
    Short for precursor, it's a feature from RTW that they didn't disable in M2TW, and allows an infantry unit to throw a weapon before charging.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Are you going to update the manual for 2.35 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Are you going to update the manual for 2.35 ?
    Yes, Mantaprey/Chap has been updating it.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Yes, Mantaprey/Chap has been updating it.
    That's great. Can you or somebody from the team go through the Poppis manual for managing of the settlements to pinpoint the things that have been changed since it's been updated? Just some hints for the players to be aware of, a few minutes of work, I suppose :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It is funny because when I first started playing EBII (after years playing RTW mods) I was surprised to see that my infantry did not engage after ordering them to attack (they were javelin infantry of course). So I'm happy that now it will revert to what was like in the past, being more realistic x)
    A little derailing, I was surprised about unit behaviors sometimes too. In a siege, after setting up the ladder, my infantry unit would simply stand there under the wall and look at that ladder.... I would have to tell it to climb the ladder again. Sometimes quirky units behaviors really break my balls....

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    A little derailing, I was surprised about unit behaviors sometimes too. In a siege, after setting up the ladder, my infantry unit would simply stand there under the wall and look at that ladder.... I would have to tell it to climb the ladder again. Sometimes quirky units behaviors really break my balls....
    Siege pathfinding is broken in M2TW, there is no correlation between siege behaviour and field battle behaviour.

Civis

Siege pathfinding is broken in M2TW, there is no correlation between siege behaviour and field battle behaviour.
    It can’t be ​that​ bad, is it? Seems like a simple solution with that ladder problem.

@Quin @OJ Okay I see. Not a big deal though. I mean compared to fixing phalanx this is nothing, fixing phalanx means half the ancient world to me

Phalanxes will be as broken as every other unit in sieges, mind. But we can at least improve their performance in field battles.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    It can’t be ​that​ bad, is it? Seems like a simple solution with that ladder problem.
    Programming can be fun that way. Quite often, a CTD or bizzare behaviour can be traced back to simple typo or wrong variable used, but something minor can require rewrite of hundreds oflines of AI script or complete remodelling of the settlement.