Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

There's no money bonuses as far as I'm aware, unless there's something hidden and hardcoded (that was RTW that did that). There's no differentiation in the garrison script by difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    For Campaign: At medium and lower, the AI doesn't hire mercenaries, and it can get a little easy when your opponents aren't using those good quality reinforcements, especially if the entire panoply of the fully stocked merc pool is available for you in all provinces you visit all game. Also, the rebels don't tend to siege cities. Therefore it should at least be at Hard. I'm less clear on what happens at VH vs H for campaign. Income penalties, I know. Maybe the reason we don't recommend VH is that it's not TOO beginner friendly. But try it if you don't feel challenged.

For Battle: At M, the AI appears to get no bonuses to their units. At H and above, they get increasing bonuses and it can be a little silly watching a levy unit go toe to toe with a professional despite taking over 50% casualties, still gritting it out. Therefore at Medium the units actually compete as statted instead of being somewhat awkwardly buffed on the enemy side. However, some people find that the human player's tendency to use their best generals overcomes the AI's built in generals skills, and that they can do the whole hammer and anvil technique too easily and rout enemies. I will say that one of the fixes in 2.3 was that rebel AI generals didn't get that AI general buff, so they were routing extra early (general skills can contribute to increased morale for their units), just faction AI generals. So go on H if you think the AI needs combat and morale bonuses to offset its lesser intelligence compared to you, or stick with M if you want units to play out more realistically and don't find it frustratingly easy.

EDIT: Forgot a section. Yes, Numidia is a little more reasonable now. Same with Nabatu. Effort has been made to keep the AI from going for the jugular of its neighbor too early. I haven't seen Numidia landing stacks in Sicily just for fun anymore like I used to see in 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    My latest Pontus campaign was on VH and I rather enjoyed it. Felt like the AI were putting up more of a fight on the map than my last campaign on H difficult. I had no problem racking up 11 victories against the Greeks by the time I took the East Pontic Sea.

But I'm really concerned to hear about autocalc bonuses. I always fight my land battles, so I never noticed, but I imagine it ruins naval warfare. Anyone have experience doing ship autocalc on VH?

Do AI have greater income bonuses or more units from the garrison script on VH? If they don't get extra units or money I'll consider just doing H/H
    If you put two ships in your fleet (or one with experience). You're basically golden. AI usually only has one ship in each fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius The Great View Post
    If you put two ships in your fleet (or one with experience). You're basically golden. AI usually only has one ship in each fleet.
    You haven't fought Carthage, I take it?

My latest Pontus campaign was on VH and I rather enjoyed it. Felt like the AI were putting up more of a fight on the map than my last campaign on H difficult. I had no problem racking up 11 victories against the Greeks by the time I took the East Pontic Sea.

But I'm really concerned to hear about autocalc bonuses. I always fight my land battles, so I never noticed, but I imagine it ruins naval warfare. Anyone have experience doing ship autocalc on VH?

Do AI have greater income bonuses or more units from the garrison script on VH? If they don't get extra units or money I'll consider just doing H/H
    Yeah, naval warfare is tilted by campaign difficulty, thus something to avoid on VH unless you have overwhelming force. As for campaigns, difficulty levels M, H, and VH variously increase the chance of AI FMs gaining a number of improved stats, but that might be it.
    EBII Council

Something I noticed earlier.
    In the Hippeis Tarantinoi's description it says
    Hippeis Tarantinoi are a superb elite cavalry (...)
    However, in their description it says "Unreliable". Is this a mistake? Or by unreliable do you mean they might not follow orders and such?
    If it's a mistake, wich one is wich?

Quote Originally Posted by neo_deus View Post
    Something I noticed earlier.
    In the Hippeis Tarantinoi's description it says .
    However, in their description it says "Unreliable". Is this a mistake? Or by unreliable do you mean they might not follow orders and such?
    If it's a mistake, wich one is wich?
    It's the meaningless automatic output from the engine that appears on the unit card. Most of what you see there is garbage. It's just a reflection of their low morale stat (as skirmish cavalry, they have relatively low morale).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    There's no money bonuses as far as I'm aware, unless there's something hidden and hardcoded (that was RTW that did that). There's no differentiation in the garrison script by difficulty.
    Hmm, well what does it change? Does it just make them more likely to declare war on you and decline alliances? Do they send more troops when at war?

Is there a way that I can make a change to scripts to just make the AI field more troops in general? Does increasing the campaign finance script beyond 5000 have any effect in that regards? I know that y'all have had a lot of experience tinkering with it and its impact on the game.

Thanks for the answers btw, I appreciate.

Hmm, well what does it change? Does it just make them more likely to declare war on you and decline alliances? Do they send more troops when at war?

Is there a way that I can make a change to scripts to just make the AI field more troops in general? Does increasing the campaign finance script beyond 5000 have any effect in that regards? I know that y'all have had a lot of experience tinkering with it and its impact on the game.

Thanks for the answers btw, I appreciate.
    It changes their aggressiveness (which potentially makes fragmentation worse, since they make less effort to consolidate their forces before attacking), it makes autcalc harder, it makes diplomacy harder. It triggers higher levels of AIGeneral/AIGovernor. That's about it.

The AI (except the Rebels) is under the exact same constraints as the player with regards to recruitment. They have the same refresh and the same limits on how many units they can recruit out of any one settlement in a turn (more in winter). The finance script just stops them going into debt and gives them a little boost every spring (to encourage construction, since their recruit slots aren't high in that season), along with some support when they are small.

So I'm afraid simply giving them more money won't have much of an impact at all, furthermore, there's a "clawback" section to the finance script to stop them stockpiling ridiculous treasury totals - if they go over 30k they're reset to 10k.

You could use the console to gift them units in their settlements, you'll need to know the internal names of the units concerned, and it's a bit laborious.

Tiro

Hello,

Kudos to the Team for a new release. Thanks for all the efford you put in this awesome mod.

Ill be playing this and that faction , prolly not all of them but many. Since i dont have any preference to start with one or another. Are you ( Team) interested in some play testing of any specific faction? besides "nomadic" ones that i dont like / i dont know how to play i dont mind starting with one or another.

Regards:

melvidh

PD: Torrent downloaded fast, ill keep it seeding and will install and start playing tomorrow ( it is really late here)

Hey, the Pahropan i Balk don't have a description?

Good to see the old but best mod ever is still alive and kicking.

I cannot wait to take a look on the new changes in the celtiberian faction!

Kull,

I don't want to write a script to ensure a historically major faction isn't turned into a walk-on part, serving the role-playing purposes of fans of a minor faction. Or to ensure that, while Gonatas is easily AI Macedon's greatest battlefield asset, he isn't awarded the role of patsy and fugitive from the beginning of the game, hiding his light under a bushel in his capital "to keep him safe."
    Why should anyone have to write that kind of script? This is Europa Barbarorum, and there are no big shots on this Rock, remember.
    I'm willing to bet Macedon hasn't been play tested to 300 turns to make sure its all working out as planned. For those of us who are not big Pyrrhus fans, there is a smack of Epirote exceptionalism throughout the history of the game, which is obvious even from reading the threads.
    I absolutely accept that you have a right to make a game that allows Pyrrhus fans to play out their alternative histories to their heart's desire and to make the Epirus campaign as "dynamic" as they like.
    The problem is the effects on games when this theatre is in the hands of the AI. No matter which faction you are playing, you find yourself, by mid-game, thinking "why on earth am I fighting Epirotes over here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    The game is in your hands. Please be our guest. Write a script and/or set-up starting armies in descr_strat which achieve your goal of the Gonatas-Pyyrhos death match on T1.
    My goal? This is exactly opposite of my position. I understand from reading the threads that Gonatas v Pyrrhus has become a "this town ain't big enough for the both of us scenario." Which is fine. But it's only likely to have one outcome while Pyrrhus is scripted for a blitzkrieg in the south while Gonatas sits on his bottom in Pella.
    And whether or not I could do better is, or course, entirely beside the point, as it always is.
    Last edited by parthian8; October 21, 2017 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    ???

Pyrrhus isn't scripted to hide anywhere. If the base game AI doesn't want to move him anywhere, there isn't much the EB2 team can do to get him to move around, short of ahistorically putting someone else in charge of the army recapturing Pella so that Pyrrhus goes and takes another settlement instead (potentially getting stuck there also).
    This is exactly the opposite of the point I was making. I was asking QS why this "shoot-out" scenario that's been envisaged is so patently one-sided.

The excited one's Avatar Senator

Just installed the 2.3 version, but I don't know why in the menu at the bottom left corner saying it is version 2.2 instead?

A typo?
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Hey, the Pahropan i Balk don't have a description?
    No they don't. There's a handful of units that haven't been finished on that side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    Just installed the 2.3 version, but I don't know why in the menu at the bottom left corner saying it is version 2.2 instead?

A typo?
    There is no typo, if you followed the instructions correctly, you will have installed 2.3, which says that.

Did you uninstall and delete the previous version of EBII?

alright what the heck am i supposed to do when i dont have multiple drivers?

Antigonos/Pyrrhos both have high influence (which as you turned the boolean on, is management), this means the AI considers them good administrators, and frankly they are. Characters with influence increase settlement income and decrease unrest. So the AI will use them for that, even if they have a lot of command stars.

Am I supposed to just give up on this mod if I dont have multiple drivers to move my steam folder around? Your instructions are not really helping

Quote Originally Posted by Dapacem View Post
    alright what the heck am i supposed to do when i dont have multiple drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapacem View Post
    Am I supposed to just give up on this mod if I dont have multiple drivers to move my steam folder around? Your instructions are not really helping
    You mean drives, not drivers? I don't have Steam, so I have no idea. Lots of people have found a way around it, maybe one of them will be by shortly to explain what you do.

I would observe, though, that you don't need multiple physical drives to have more than one logical drive. Creating a partition is a pretty trivial task, do a Google search with your operating system in the search bar.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; October 21, 2017 at 05:25 AM.