Thread: How much does CPU speed affect end turn speeds?

Default How much does CPU speed affect end turn speeds?

Beyond the obvious a faster CPU will be faster does anyone have any actually numbers, links to numbers or first hand experience?

I am close to building a new PC and turn length in total war is something that would influence my choice. I don't need graphs and stuff but if you have played on an skylake i5 and then just bought and used a coffee lake i7 what is the difference in end turn times.

If there is considerable difference I can see myself buying a higher end CPU but if an i7 only takes the turns from 2 min to 1 min 50 sec I don't know if it is worth it.

Thanks.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: How much does CPU speed affect end turn speeds?

For most people buying the i7 8700k would be overkill. Best bang for your buck would be the i5 8400 if you're building a new PC.

TW games rely most on single threaded performance so getting the fastest single threaded CPU can make a big difference but it really depends on what you are comparing and when. Most of the time TW Warhammer runs just fine with any relatively high Intel or AMD CPU from the last 4-5 years. Where you really start to notice differences is in the big battles if you have good enough GPU the CPU can make 20-30% difference in fps and even more in how 'smooth' the experience feels.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

CA&SEGA: can you please lower the position of Mazdamundis' (and the Slann's) lower lips, so that we can at least see their glowing eyes? They are swallowing their faces right now by default. This should only occur under the euphorizing influnce of decisive victory on the battlefield. Thanks.