Thread: Realistic battle submod for Pax Romana

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default Realistic battle submod for Pax Romana

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/pyywgu...battlemod.pack

I want to share this battle submod i made for personal use. It's basically inspired by the same principles of the battle submod i made for Rome II some years ago: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...listic-battles

The aim is to have more realistic and long battles: melee is far less deadly and so are missile weapon (just as long as you don't give enemy archers your back), while frontal cavalry charge are not very effective if the opponent is bracing...morale is more important and so is fatigue: having units in reserve ready to relief other units from the combat will be vital.

It' s just a first version, so any feedback is welcome. Have fun.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Autaritus's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Realistic battle submod for Pax Romana

Happy to see you back in the modding scene, Cesco! Great new for the lovers of realistic and tactic ancient warfare. By the way, I'd like to ask you about more details on the effect of missiles in the mod. As you well know, missile volleys didn't cause many casualties but were able of disrupting enemy manoeuvres and charge. Is there in your mod any reduction of charge or brace values in a unit receiving a missile shower? Thanks for your job improving an already amazing mod like EoR!

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Hi Autaritus, it's good to see you again. That's a good idea, i don't know if it's possible thoug. However, i might try to sort something out about that. Let me know if you think i could improve the submod in some other way, your feedback is appreciate and higly valued.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

This battle mod is superb. Great work.

Autaritus's Avatar Libertus

Hi again! I'm sorry for the delayed answer, but I have been kept far from gaming for a while due to a long trip abroad; luckily, I was back in time before the DLC was out, so I tried your mod for few days. And I find it sensational.
    Besides the virtues we already know from your past battle mods, the management of fatigue is great; a single unit fighting a bigger mass of enemies tires earlier, and this it makes possible to break the line with a concentrate attack by various units. That compells the defender to always keep a second line reserve to fill the gap. In my opinion, it's another step given in the direction of realism.
    The morale penalty for being flanked/attacked in the rear is perfectly calibrated: big enough to be realistic, but not so important that it can make a fresh unit rout because a few fleeing enemies are mixing in its formation.
    The 1 hp system works great and battle AI is good as usual, always trying to flank you with cavalry when attacking, using deep formations when defending.
    Nice work with projectiles, which don't kill much from the front but reduce morale; as I told you in past posts, it would be great if a projectile shower could disrupt a unit and reduce its values of, for example, speed and mass -due to the loss of cohesion with everybody trying to cover themselves. I don't know if it can be done in TWR2, though.

Another suggestion I have is about modding the effect of mass/weight of attacking units in a way that a defending unit could be forced to fall back -without routing- by a concentrate massive frontal charge. What do you think about it?

Tu sum it up, the best of your mods until today, a great work developing the basic concepts of ancient warfare. Congrats, dude.