Thread: Campaign map lag

Default Campaign map lag

I'm going to start by saying I LOVE this mod, however sadly I've been unable to really enjoy it due to incredible lag. During my turn it is annoying but bearable, just with stuttering when moving units, but when I end my turn, it takes over 10 minutes for each faction to do it's turn, and tabbing out crashes the game and freezes my PC. I have tried all in-game options, (including disabling shadows which helped but did not solve it) and It can't be my GPU because I have recently upgraded from a 720 to a 1080 ti. I suspect it has something to do with the vast amount of trees in the map, but I have no clue how to deal with that. Any help appreciated, Thanks!

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Campaign map lag

Quote Originally Posted by muzzz View Post
    I'm going to start by saying I LOVE this mod, however sadly I've been unable to really enjoy it due to incredible lag. During my turn it is annoying but bearable, just with stuttering when moving units, but when I end my turn, it takes over 10 minutes for each faction to do it's turn, and tabbing out crashes the game and freezes my PC. I have tried all in-game options, (including disabling shadows which helped but did not solve it) and It can't be my GPU because I have recently upgraded from a 720 to a 1080 ti. I suspect it has something to do with the vast amount of trees in the map, but I have no clue how to deal with that. Any help appreciated, Thanks!
    Welcome to TWC, muzz.

What you describe is certainly not normal.

Are you playing standard TATW, or did you also install a submod?

Have you played any battles yet and if so, how did that go in terms of performance?

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

I have tried standard, D&C, and MOS, all have had the exact same problem.
    As for the battles, they seem to be running fine, only a slight decrease in FPS from the vanilla game.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzz View Post
    I have tried standard, D&C, and MOS, all have had the exact same problem.
    As for the battles, they seem to be running fine, only a slight decrease in FPS from the vanilla game.
    One question though: Is your main Medieval II TW game installed in either Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder?

If it is, then you have an issue with User Account Control, which is a Windows Security feature designed to monitor all processes/game scripts/etc.. in programs/games installed in either one of those two folders, thus increasing your turn time/ increasing map lag.

The best thing to do is, to move/reinstall your whole Medieval II TW anywhere else on your HDD, as long as it is not installed in either one of those two folders.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; October 24, 2017 at 03:12 PM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

This has helped at odd occasions: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?755286

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I think it is this same situation, where another TWC member had long turn times due to his main Medieval II TW game being installed in either Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder.

As you can see from that thread, my proposed solution worked.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Blog Entries

Moving the steam library to shorten the path - yup, got something for that as well.

Been preaching for years to install M2TW (disk version) to something like C:\Games\M2TW - avoids a lot of heartache, least the virtual store.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Moving the steam library to shorten the path - yup, got something for that as well.

Been preaching for years to install M2TW (disk version) to something like C:\Games\M2TW - avoids a lot of heartache, least the virtual store.
    Nice and well explained tutorial. As always.

You could also add to that tutorial of yours, that it helps with the long turn time/ AKA possible campaign lag.

Blog Entries

Done, added to 'Introduction'.