View Poll Results: Do you feel the TW series has gone downhill since Medieval II?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! All the newer Total War games suck!

43 19.55%
  • Yes. I like some of the newer games but the older games were better

110 50.00%
  • No. The new games are just fine.

59 26.82%
  • I love Failhammer. I'll buy whatever CA does regardless

8 3.64%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: The TW series is dead. Everything after Medieval II sucks!

Default Re: The TW series is dead. Everything after Medieval II sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Starting a different issue:
    I think that a big problem of playing the newer games is also the lack of the "big" mods, transforming the games entirely or adjusting the parameters with extreme care or transforming the AI entirely. Compare this situation like 10 years ago and the number of mods for Rome and Medieval 2: I would play a dozen of such big mods and have fun, while for Rome there're few (for me just one - the DeI, but perhaps a few more are worthy) and for Attila (any big one besides Ancient Empires?) and now for the Thrones (maybe Shieldwall or Crucible of Kings would develop at some point, but are not very advanced yet).

There're for sure many reasons for that, I'd just name two. One, the proliferation of the games making the modding community spread thinly. Second, the restriction on creating the new maps makes it impossible to make really different but credible worlds (like TATW).
    Maybe yes, there are not that much (big) overhaul mods. Maybe because the game becomes more complicated to mod. But not only that, there aren't a lot of modders for the TW games as before. Most of them retired or are making their own games. The new generation are not really interested to mod. Just some of them, or don't want to make an effort to learn to mod or don't have the time for it. Yes indeed, the modding tools are not that optimized you could say, like to make a campaign map etc...But look at Shogun 2. It is the most moddable game on the Warscape engine. You can make a new campaign map, add new battle maps,.....just everything. But how many mods are there that actually make new campaign maps or big overhauls? Maybe 3 or 4. No one is using it or even try to make something. I always get people like they want to join, but after one day they disappear and you never hear from them again. This is one of the reasons that i do not help others that much to learn something of modding, because they just leave after some days. People sometimes need to do sometimes more efforts if they want something made. Not just ask modders all the time what they want. Just try and you will make it.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Starting a different issue:
    I think that a big problem of playing the newer games is also the lack of the "big" mods, transforming the games entirely or adjusting the parameters with extreme care or transforming the AI entirely. Compare this situation like 10 years ago and the number of mods for Rome and Medieval 2: I would play a dozen of such big mods and have fun, while for Rome there're few (for me just one - the DeI, but perhaps a few more are worthy) and for Attila (any big one besides Ancient Empires?) and now for the Thrones (maybe Shieldwall or Crucible of Kings would develop at some point, but are not very advanced yet).

There're for sure many reasons for that, I'd just name two. One, the proliferation of the games making the modding community spread thinly. Second, the restriction on creating the new maps makes it impossible to make really different but credible worlds (like TATW).
    The answer lies on CA/SEGA's new modding policy. NO OVERHAUL mods that could harm the selling of new DLCs. That is the reasson that there is NO map modding tool and never will be again!
    Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Maybe yes, there are not that much (big) overhaul mods. Maybe because the game becomes more complicated to mod. But not only that, there aren't a lot of modders for the TW games as before. Most of them retired or are making their own games. The new generation are not really interested to mod. Just some of them, or don't want to make an effort to learn to mod or don't have the time for it. Yes indeed, the modding tools are not that optimized you could say, like to make a campaign map etc...But look at Shogun 2. It is the most moddable game on the Warscape engine. You can make a new campaign map, add new battle maps,.....just everything. But how many mods are there that actually make new campaign maps or big overhauls? Maybe 3 or 4. No one is using it or even try to make something. I always get people like they want to join, but after one day they disappear and you never hear from them again. This is one of the reasons that i do not help others that much to learn something of modding, because they just leave after some days. People sometimes need to do sometimes more efforts if they want something made. Not just ask modders all the time what they want. Just try and you will make it.
    I can NOT accept the title overhaul in a mod or banch of mods that can not recreate a new WORLD starting with the map and everything ON IT.
    Adding new textures or helmets or swords DO NOT justify the title overhaul. We must be clear on this.
    Its not entirely true that there are no modders active to "learn" modding the new games.
    The reasson is that its NOT WORTH the truble.
    If there was a map and stra_map tool the mod "The Great Conflicts 872-1071" could be in attila engine in six months! In M2TW/Kingdoms is under development for 10 years!
    But what historical mod TGC would be when the siege escalation is hard coded too? I do not want children to play a playable educational tool (mod) and "learn" that wall melt by air and rain!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    The answer lies on CA/SEGA's new modding policy. NO OVERHAUL mods that could harm the selling of new DLCs. That is the reasson that there is NO map modding tool and never will be again!
    Yeah, this is a true problem. For instance, I'd love to see the Thrones of Britannia made in Poland or Russia in 12-13 century or in 11-14 c. Spain. So we'd need a new map for this...

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I can NOT accept the title overhaul in a mod or banch of mods that can not recreate a new WORLD starting with the map and everything ON IT.
    Adding new textures or helmets or swords DO NOT justify the title overhaul. We must be clear on this.
    I agree only partially. Yes, adding new helmets doesn't justify it, but such great mods like Divide and Impera for the R2TW engine or those 3 mods for NTW fully deserve the "overhaul" title even if the world depicted is like in the base game.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    So you think it is Warhammer that is essentially detrimental to the series, the title that brought the downfall of the series, and not the more recent titles that almost destroyed CA's credibility among its fanbase. Very interesting. I'd say it's quite the opposite. Warhammer has helped the TW series remain relevant by bringing quite a lot to the table in terms of features and gameplay (unfortunately for TW purists, these fun features will never be replicated in future historical games). These games have also helped CA as a way of saving face by ensuring its customers they can still produce great products.
    Warhammer game has some interesting features and stuff what I like but still, Warhammer-title doesn't sit for me.