Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Siege of Cordoba

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Siege of Cordoba

Orders

Iulus redeploys his pickets and screens, keeping a close eye on Sertorius.

Meanwhile, at night time, Iulus has 2 Cohorts secretly dig small fox holes to break horses' legs and he scatters the field with caltrops - this takes place between Sertorius and the City, as well as around the rear and sides of Iulus' encampment. The Soldiers do not wear armour, and have their faces, swords and shovels blackened so as to be less obvious.

Iulus orders his trebuchet finished.

The sheep and other expendables are eaten first, with things like grain eaten second. The Legions are placed on 3/4s rations.

The artillery is placed under close guard, and Iulus' night watch is doubled.

(Speech and awards are incoming BTW.)

Manius Valerius Messalla was fighting in the first rank on the left flank. He was made the commander of the entire section of the line and took his role seriously. Imagine his shock when the entire cavalry contingent of the enemy was sent against him. "Stand firm!" he ordered, but it was too late. His cavalry was wiped out almost before he could turn the ranks against the foes. "Gods grant us strength!" he cried as the line turned. Several men threw javelins at the riders, felling some. "Cohort, advance!" The charge was over, he knew. It would be a matter of pushing them off the field. Others user their heavy javelins as spears, killing horses and men. "Keep advancing!" he cried as the second cohort joined the push. Soon the enemy seemed to see they would not break, and fled into the darkness.

------------------

Young Sulpicianus was serving in the 3rd Cohort of one of the legions in the centre. Amidst screams and orders being shouted, he let go his bladder. It was shameful, but the howls in the night air had made him grow fearful. He wondered if he would die this night. Just then, a spear transfixed the man standing directly to his left, and he let out a shout. Soon they were upon the enemy and the front ranks clashed. He held a whistle to his lips, signalling when the ranks would replace one another to keep the fighters fresh. After a number of blows, he was himself slated to take the next line. He drew his short sword. He bles the whistle at the opportune moment for himself, and rushed forward to stab a man in the gut. He quickly blew the whistle again and retreated to safety.

Iulus assembled his officers.

"Our engineers have finished their works.

Messala, you''ll take command of the men going into the city. Do not let them sack the city. Tell them they will be given free rein to pillage and loot when our lives don't depend on it.

Crassus, in the meantime we will form the army up for combat. If Sertorius comes to us, then let's not give him any breathing room.

---------------

Iulus has his engineers hammer out pila for the legions.

Overall Orders

City:
    6 Cohorts (from Legio III, 2'040 men)
    1 Siege Tower
    Officer:
    Messala

The Cohorts will roll forwards the Siege tower and advance into the city, with order to first secure the gates, the food supplies and the treasury. In that order. No quarter is to be given to the defenders or any who raise arms against the Romans. Pillage is prohibited, but the men are told it will be allowed when Sertorius doesn't threaten them.

Field:

Right Flank:
    Legio II (4'700 men)
    1 Scorpion
    1 Catapult
    Officers:
    Crassus
    Cotta

Centre:
    Legio I (3'400 men)
    Legio III (4 depleted cohorts - 1360 men)
    1 Scorpion
    Officers:
    Iulus - +3 Battles
    Sulpicianus

Left Flank:
    Legio IV (4'250 men)
    1 Scorpion
    1 Catapult
    Officers:
    Appius Pulcher - +2 Battles
    Tiberius Pulcher - +1 Battles
    Rusca

Reserve:
    411 Cavalry
    Officers:
    Flaccus

Camp:
    2 centuries

Orders:
    1) The army will form up between Sertorius and Cordoba, with the caltrops and pit holes between them.
    2) Should Sertorius advance, the artillery will bombard them, with the catapults using flaming shot.
    3) Once the enemy has come over Iulus' caltrops and pitfalls, the army will advance, unleash pila and counter charge.
    4) The purpose is simply to drive Sertorius back, they will not advance over the caltrops, but stop at the edge.
    5) The reserve will charge to shore up a failing division.
    6) If Sertorius doesn't attack, the army will simply wait.
    7) The 2 Centuries at camp will make sure the same issue doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 20, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

Sertorius would see from his vantage point that the Romans below have begun an assault against Corduba. He may respond by launching an attack now if he wishes.

Manius gave a smirk. "Yes, Consul." He gathered his men and prepared for the assault shortly after, giving orders to the siege engineers to focus their fire power on the ramparts to keep the defenders in constant fear for their lives. He then rode to the front lines where the tower stood, where his men were assembling. "Viri et amici, we stand poised to attack the city. It is defended by weary old men and green boys. We will storm their walls, take their women, and once the city is secure, we shall be granted rights of pillage upon it. This is your chance for great wealth! No doubt much of it lies within the walls, and these traitors to the Republic have forfeited their lives and property to us. Steel yourselves and invoke the gods of your ancestors!"

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Appius Claudius Pulcher had unexpectedly gained command of Iulus Left Flank and he was determined to do a good job at it. He would be assisted by Rusca and Tiberius Claudius Pulcher, his younger brother who had also served with distinction under Messalla. Appius would address the men before battle. He would stand before them, standing on ground level not on top a horse. He found it of importance not to display himself as more as his average soldier. "Soldiers of Rome, here we stand once more. Once more to rid the republic of our enemies! I ask of you, follow me today! give it your all and the spoils of war shall be yours for the taking! ROMA VICTOR!" He used his most inspiring voice, yet it was clear he had not yet met the level of inspiring talk his father possessed. Nonetheless his soldiers cried out before they would execute their orders.

Second Battle of Corduba
    As several thousand men began the assault upon the city led by Manius Valerius Messalla, Sertorius’ attack began. An initial cavalry charge was thwarted with deadly consequences for Sertorius’ forces, as the field had been strewn with traps and pitfalls. In all, almost half of his cavalry was destroyed in this way by traps and counterattacks by the legions. Disheartened but eager, the Spanish legions advanced over the plain in good order, attempting to avoid the traps. When they were within range of Iulus’ legions but outside the trapped areas, Iulus’ men charged. They were struck by a number of projectiles used by the Spanish irregulars, leading to some confusion in the ranks, but ultimately the lines held as the forces converged. The battle was even, but Iulus’ men began to slowly grind Sertorius’ back towards the ring of the cavalry charge, where they disengaged. Effectively, Iulus had been able to defend the perimeter of the siege line and the attacking force successfully.

1,200 Legionaries are lost in Sertorius’ ranks and 1,000 in Iulus’

Sertorius loses half of his cavalry, and is injured in the arm. His forces withdraw to friendly Lusitanian territory either to the north or west.

None of the Roman officers are killed in the engagement outside the walls.

While this engagement was playing out, the Romans under Messalla advanced towards the walls. Given the flow of the battle and the inadequacy of the defense, the outcome was a foregone conclusion. All that had yet to be determined was what price by blood would be paid for taking the city. They advanced under a rain of arrows, stones, and other projectiles. Eventually the tower was in place and the walls were a battleground. The barely trained defenders stood little chance. The city fell, but at the cost of a full cohort killed.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 21, 2017 at 05:21 PM.

(Post battle rp incoming)

------

Iulus sends a messenger around Sertorius and orders the two Gallic legions to give the rebels a wide berth and skirt past to east, to unite with Iulus' four legions.

Meanwhile, Iulus deploys his scouts and prepares his army to advance should Sertorius shift from his position on the hill to attack his reinforcements

Blog Entries

Appius and Tiberius were in in one of the tents back at the legionary encampment. Washing off the blood of the countless of souls that died in Cordoba.
    "Well done little brother" Appius would remark with a grin on his face. Tiberius would only look at him, knowing his brother was trying to make him say something he could easily counter with something low. Appius could only laugh when he saw he would not receive a response from his brother, who continued to clean his hands.

From a distance a cornicius could be heard. Which triggered Tiberius to raise his head and look at his brother. They nodded to each other at the same time as they made their way outside. It were the Gallic legions. Legions that had been levied from their father's own purse sent down from Gaul to aid the consul in his work in Spain. No doubt there was some elaborate thinking behind it but it did not matter to the boys. After having only had 3 battles under their belt, of which only Appius had commanded a flank in only one battle they were now Legate's of 'their' own respective legion.

Two tribunes on horseback approached the brothers one of them asked. "Salve honorable Pulcher's. We have marched the troops down here from Gaul and turn over command to you, as the new legate's." Tiberius nodded and said "Glad to see you have made the journey unscathed. Make sure the troops set up camp and eat a meal." When the tribune of Appius his legion looked at his legate he nodded in approval with his brother's orders. "We should seek Iulus" Tiberius added, Appius simply nodded and both men made their way to the consul's tent.

Both men reached the consuls tent and asked for permission to enter, when granted they greeted the consul and Tiberius spoke first.
    "Consul Iulus, the legions my father had promised have arrived sir. "

Crassus rode in from the right flank, uninjured but covered in dust and sweat.
    "Iulus, shall we pursue. It has been a long fight, and I am not sure how much you want to push the men." He asks
    "We also don't have much information about what is beyond Sertorius's forces, though I doubt he would have kept any men in reserve after that 2nd battle."

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Sertorius

Reinforcements arrive from a confederation of Lusitani tribes and number as follows:

1,200 Heavy Cavalry
    5,000 Heavy Infantry
    3,000 Skirmish/light infantry

Iulus

No more than three legions (or its equivalent) can be in the same province tile at any time in Non-Roman held Spain. 5% attrition will take place for each unit occupying the same "tile"every day.

The Proconsul Iulus had watched the battle unfold with great pride. Mounted on a black horse, he wore an extremely expensive muscle cuirass, decorated with twin silver Pegasuses. A decorative Attic helmet, made from bronze and worked with inlaid gold and silver graced his head, a long red horse hair crest upon the top of his helmet. His scarlet paludamentum was fastened with an ornate gold fibula. Around the Proconsul's waist was a cincticulus, scarlet also. Fastened to his belt were the Pugio and the Glaidus, both ornate and eye catching, with ivory handles with gold and silver worked in. In his hand was his ivory baton, crested with a golden eagle, proof of his office.

The battle started out as Iulus had known it would. Sertorius threw forwards his cavalry. He watched in silent smugness as the first row of the Spanish cavalry hit his caltrops and went down, bringing the next rows with them. The panicked men that made it through the killing field were instead met with rows upon rows of heavy Roman infantry, and the butchery that took place there left Iulus in no doubt that he had successfully destroyed Sertorius' once vast cavalry advantage. The Romans had cheered wildly as they saw the force that had taken its toll on them brutalised, and morale peaked.

They waited with bloodthirsty anticipation as the Romano-Iberian legions of Sertorius advanced, only to be met with the pila and gladii of the Proconsul's men. More than one Spanish legionary stepped on one of the cruel caltrops as they advanced and painfully pierced the sole of their feet. As the battle wore on, the Spanish found themselves forced back onto the caltrops and fox holes, and finally broke back to their camp, beaten.

It had been, overall, only a minor engagement and victory, but it had broken the terrifying cavalry arm of Sertorius and Iulus felt triumph blossom in his breast. He smiled at his juniors, though two replacement aides from the equites were pale when they realised why the cavalry had been held back.

The battle won, Iulus turned his attention to the city, where Messala had succeeded. Iulus was glad he had chosen to promote the young man, rather than give him the worst and filthiest tasks, and he was pleased at being proven right. They had gotten the worst of the first engagement, though they had held their ground, but with these two victories in their grasp, the campaign would go much more smoothly, especially when the reinforcements arrived.

He looked at the city silently, knowing he had promised his men loot, though even the basest of base soldiery knew it was foolish to loot with an enemy army scarcely a mile away. Nonetheless, it was a solid victory, and Iulus was glad of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Some hours after the battle, the legions were assembled. There was no way Iulus could project his voice over near fifteen thousand men, so instead he placed his most charismatic officers at key locations, to carry his words to them. The Proconsul sat on his horse, in the centre of all of these men looking to him. He spoke loudly, boldly, and the junior speakers spake after him. "Men of Rome, valiant legionaries! We have won a great victory today!" Iulus paused as his men cheered. "I swear, by Jupiter and by Mars, how dearly would I have loved to see poor Setorius' face as his cavalry collapsed beneath him - quite literally!" Iulus smiled through the laughter and the cheers, knowing how glad his men were to have given those horsemen the same treatment they had been given previously. "Every one of you here has fought with valour, and I am glad to say that not a single an in this army has made me ashamed. Every man here has made me as proud as a father of his own sons, and I swear to Veritas, Goddess of Truth, that I could not be happier with the men sent with me to conduct war on an Enemy of Rome."

It was quiet now, and Iulus looked around fondly. "I promised you loot, pillage and rapine. You shall have it! Cordoba stands behind you, banners dipped in defeat, and by the Gods, you will taste the !" Cheers lit the field again. "But I cannot unleash you yet, viri et amici, not while that horseless warlord looms over us so fiercely." He pointed now to Sertorius' hilltop with his baton of office, the eagle glinting in the sun. "But you can take them, for are you not men of Rome? Are you not the legions of Gnaeus Julius Iulus, the mightiest legions Rome has seen in a century!"

Once the cheering had died down, it was time for awards. "First I call upon Manius Valerius Messala, who valiantly led his section of the Third Legion over the walls of Cordoba, being the first man to stand on the enemy walls." The air was thick with anticipation. "I award Manius Valerius Messala the Corona Muralis, a golden phalerae and do hereby appoint him Legatus Legionis of the Third Legion."

There was cheering, especially from the Third, to see a man they had come to see as one of their own so honoured. "To Marcus Licinius Crassus and Appius Claudius Pulcher I award each a silver phalerae, for skill and gallantry in command.

To Gnaeus Petreius Atinas, Primus Pilus Centurion of the 1st Cohort of the First Legion, I award the Corona Vallaris, for being the first man to pierce the enemy line on the field of battle."

With the most notable awards presented, torcs, armillae and phalerae were given out to the legionaries and their units. Notably, the 1st Cohort of the Second Legion received gold phalerae as a unit, for being the brave men who had laid the traps on the field in the darkness, while at great risk from the enemy.

With the awards given, Iulus once again addressed his men. "Legionaries, there is but one more honour I can bestow upon you today. To the 4th Legion, I hereby name you Legio IV Ferrata. To the 3rd, I award the title of Legio III Rapax. To the 2nd, I grant you the honour of Legio II Mars Firma, and to the 1st, I give you the title of Legio I Jupiter Fulminata."

--------------------------------

Iulus smiled at both Pulchers.

"Excellent, join them and have their tents added to the camp, extra men is not something I will complain of."

--------------------------------

Iulus orders the Treasury of the city secured, and sends Sulpicianus to find out how much coin was won, and he orders his quartermasters to seize the foodstock of the city, to replenish his supplies.

Messalla was happy with his promotion and accolades. The new position was hard won, but now his authority in the legion was above reproach.

-------

Meanwhile, Quintus Sulpicianus ventured into the city. He quickly made his way to the administrative center where he discovered the city was well provisioned and would therefore provide a good base of operations in the region. As for the treasury, 15,000 denarii was seized.

Blog Entries

Both Pulcher brother's saluted the consul and made their way to their legions, now they stood as legate's of these respectable legions. A great honor even if it was the effect of nepotism. Since they had already ordered the making of camp both men decided to go for a proper meal.

----------------------------------

Appius Claudius Pulcher stood a foot taller when he heard he would be awarded a silver phalerae. The men surrounding him cheered loudly and congratulated him.
    Tiberius however was somewhat grudge, did he not protect his brother just hours ago? Protect him from certain death by a damned militiamen. Eventually he cheered too but it did not come easy.

----------------------------

Appius Claudius Pulcher would seek out Messalla for some talks.

Appius would find Manius in his small command tent surrounded by several tribunes that were about to leave at the conclusion of a meeting. Nearby was his newly won prize, the muralis. "Good day Appius, what news?"

Blog Entries

"Salve Manius" he said, as they were now of equal rank.
    "I wished to congratulate you on your award." As Appius was not yet so accustomed to his new position he couldn't help himself but add "Sir" after he had finished his sentence.
    "I had hoped I could discuss a small matter with you" He paused before taking a gasp of air and continuing. "I was wondering how you would be thinking of a union in marriage. My sister Servillia is still in search of a husband." Having served under Messalla, Appius knew that he was a man that could be promising in the political field. A political alliance would be beneficial.

A turmae of cavalry is sent to make sure Sertorius is actually withdrawing. A second turmae of cavalry is deployed to make sure they don't get butchered before that information returns to Iulus.

Upon confirmation of Sertorius actually leaving, Iulus allows his legions to sack Cordoba for three full days and three full nights, and orders every 1 person in 2 enslaved.
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 21, 2017 at 06:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Depending on what news the scouts bring back, in the events of the area being safe Appius and Tiberius order their men the following: to set up a watch, a third of the cohorts of both legions are sent within the city to loot, pillage and enslave. The centurions are instructed to ensure a form of discipline within the ranks while pillaging, considering their comrades at arms are guarding their rear. They are not to obstruct the pillage of the other legions.
    Those on watch remain vigilant for the enemy, finding it odd they would retreat from a strategic position. Even if scout reports are favorable.

In the event the scouts report back that the enemy force remains near they will form up in battle position and await Iulus's command.

-
    Appius and Tiberius sought out Iulus. When they were granted entry Appius would take the word and Tiberius would remain silent, somewhat humbled.

Appius said “Sir.. I have to report that whilst engage in combat my brother Tiberius had saved me from certain death by a local conscripted soldier. I had need seen the man’s charge when Tiberius, aside from his own personal health had pierced this enemy combatant with his gladius mere seconds before he would have killed me. I would recommend him for a civil Crown sir.”
    Last edited by General Brewster; October 21, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Iulus looked at Tiberius idly for a moment. He was a decent aid, though had it not been for the two legions from his father, he would not be a Legate. He certainly didn't look like he could gut a pigeon, never mind an Iberian warrior. Regardless, it was an interesting situation, one that might allow Iulus to carry some sort of weight with Pulcher the Elder, should he need it.

"Very well, the Gallic legions will be enough, I think. They could do with a boost to their morale." And it would go a long way to securing the slightly timid boy's position among the pack of green boys.

---------------------

Once again there was a parade, though this time there were far fewer men, and only one honour being presented. No phalerae adorned the staffs carrying the Cohort insignias, no men had torcs, phalerae or armillae of any kind. A green legion, and a stark contrast to Iulus' hardened veterans.

"Men of the 6th, men of the 7th, I have assembled you here today to present an award.

Not to you, for you have yet to see battle, but to one of your commanders. Tiberius Claudius Pulcher, step forwards."

Iulus had been kind to the boy, he'd made sure he had a paludamentum and cincticulus, both bright red, he'd given him a spare fibula. He'd gifted him a good Attic helmet and a new gladius and pugio, none of the three as ornate as Iulus' equipment, but impressive enough for a newly promoted Legate. Unfortunately, it did little to age him, even with the muscle cuirass, the helmet, the paludamentum and the cincticulus, as well as the gifts of gladius and pugio did little to make him look anything but a boy who'd achieved rank through relation. Regardless, he'd make sure there was a good, experienced Tribune Laticlavius to make sure the Legion was properly run, and to help the boy through his first real command.

"We are gathered here to award Tiberius Claudius Pulcher the Civic Crown, for nobly saving the life of his brother on the field of battle." Iulus felt a touch disappointed and a touch annoyed, he had favoured Messala, and had delighted in the opportunity to give him high honours, only for it to be undone by this, but no matter, maybe the boy would make a useful addition to his military retinue in the future, even if he had to sponsor him.

Iulus looked on the boy quietly. And almost laughed. "Your helmet, Pulcher. The young Legate hurriedly took it off and Iulus gently sat the Civic Crown upon his head. He raised his voice again. "Remember this day, legionaries, for your commander has won a great accolade, and it will suffice to prove your worth until you win some for yourselves." The Gallic legions were dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    "Salve Manius" he said, as they were now of equal rank.
    "I wished to congratulate you on your award." As Appius was not yet so accustomed to his new position he couldn't help himself but add "Sir" after he had finished his sentence.
    "I had hoped I could discuss a small matter with you" He paused before taking a gasp of air and continuing. "I was wondering how you would be thinking of a union in marriage. My sister Servillia is still in search of a husband." Having served under Messalla, Appius knew that he was a man that could be promising in the political field. A political alliance would be beneficial.
    It was past due that Manius considered getting himself a wife. "You served with my father, if I am not mistaken." It meant that his father would likely approve of such a match. "It would be an honor to meet your sister upon our return to Rome, and see if a courtship develops into something more."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast