Thread: Annals of Laws

Default Annals of Laws

A repository for all laws passed since 81 BCE.

Default Re: Annals of Laws

Lex Antonia
    1.Officials of Courts and Tribunals will face permanent exclusion from office in cases of electoral corruption; as determined by the Senate or a judgment of the courts.

2.The judiciary will be restructured to better represent the will of the people. The tribune aeraii will not be excluded from the jury of quaestio

3. Magistrates who presided over the assemblies are prevented from dissolving the assemblies, by declaring that unfavorable omens have occurred. Such omens should instead be determined by the Augurs and Pontifex Maximus.

Lex Valeria
    The Minimum age requirement for running for quaestor is set at 25.

Lex Valeria
    I. Marcus Valerius Messalla will be given command in Asia to recover lost provinces and defeat Mithridates VI once and for all.

II. The state will raise two legions for this purpose, and Messalla will supply a third legion.

III. Legio VI will be transferred from Spain to Brundisium.

IV. Both the Iberian and Asian campaigns will be funded privately by their respective commanders to ease the burden on the public treasury.

Lex Sulpicia
    I. The 1st Legion shall be transferred to Asia and put under the Command of Marcus Messalla.

II. The 2nd Legion shall be sent to Africa, and put under command of the governor, to defend the African provinces.

III. The 3rd Legion shall be sent to Gallia Narbonensis, and put under the command of the governor there.

Lex Tributo Salinae
    I. From now and henceforth, the SPQR enacts a salt tax on every salt-works and salt mine in territory governed by the SPQR and its provinces. A fifth of all produced salt will be seized or contributed to the provincial quaestors and publicani.
    II. The fifth of salt will be collected every two months (thus, five times a year) and shipped to Roma where it becomes the direct property of the Aerarium and comes under the direct supervision of the Quaestors and their delegated administrators.
    III. The collected salt will be sold in Roma and in other Italian markets at lower than average prices each year, five times a year.
    IV. The Aerarium in Roma and its Quaestors are the top authority of this tithing, and the provincial quaestors and their publicani will answer to them and the praetors for any misconduct or suspected corruption.
    V. Publicani, to incentivize their collections, will be entitled to keep 15% of all salt they collect on behalf of the state salt tax.
    VI. All saltworks and salt mines wishing to sell, due to the state's forced price drop, will be sold to the state. The publicani will be incentivized to acquire these salt mines at reasonable prices by being offered small shares of the salt mine's future profit under public ownership.
    VII. Publicly owned salt mines then will abide by a reasonable, low price fixed by the SPQR.

-----
    I. A survey of the wealth of each province shall be conducted by the provincial quaestors with the gathered information sent to Roma.
    II. The provincial quaestors shall also report on the value of the salt market in each of their provinces.

Lex Junia
    I. Henceforth, authority to declare a war of aggression solely rests with the Senate and People of Rome.

II. Aggressive warfare conducted without the consent of the Senate and People of Rome is a criminal offence. Even in the case of success, all military accolades and honours are forfeit.

III. Governors are however permitted to engage and make war upon those who would threaten Roman territory, client kingdoms, or allied states.

-Messella will be given preatorian power, and charged with investigating the political violence of the previous year.

-For his crimes Gnaeus Iulus will be posthumosly stripped of all awards earned in life, and his actions will be denounced in every corner of Rome.

Laws regarding the settling of the legions are passed.