Thread: How to make ranged units...ranged?

Default How to make ranged units...ranged?

I have been making several units, and it was going great until I tried making ranged units. I made them like any other units (using the tables uniforms, units, building units allowed, unit to unit abilities, unit stats land, etc.) but instead I gave them the required ranged stats in the units_stats_land table. Thought I was golden. Then I loaded up the game and tested it out and when they are on the field they look fine, holding their bow in hand, their stats are all fine, but they cannot fire. Any command to attack makes them go into melee, and they don't even have the red range indicator. The switch to melee button is grayed out too. Did I miss an important table that allows ranged abilities for units? Is there a column in the stats table I missed?

Default Re: How to make ranged units...ranged?

1. Have you assign the unit a default_missile_type?
    2. If yes, have you given them ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    1. Have you assign the unit a default_missile_type?
    2. If yes, have you given them ammo?

Yes and yes.

So I made a new test mod to test if I was missing a table somewhere, or if I messed up a stat or value somewhere. The tables I used were units, unit_to_unit_ability_junctions, units_to_groupings_military_permissions, units_to_exclusive_factions_permissions, unit_stats_land, uniforms, cdir_unit_qualities, and building_units_allowed.

Everything in those tables was clone perfectly from the Bow Hero (except for the key and on screen name of course). Worked like a charm. So it must be something in those tables I am flubbing. I will keep working on it, and if I find the answer I will put up my findings.

I have discovered the issue. Ranged units cannot have too few units in them. I have been making a series of "single unit" mods, where I create legendary heroes of various types, each unit consisting of one man, with various general abilities and amazing stats, but apparently, if you have just one man in the unit, he cannot used ranged attacks, which I find odd, since I have seen bow ashigaru with a single man left and he keeps firing. I am considering this closed now, but if anyone feels like figuring out how to fix this and keep the unit size at 1, hit me up. Thanks for the reads and help.

Artifex

A one man unit? Then it must be the officer. Give this officer a ranged weapon.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai