Thread: Status of the mod

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Status of the mod

Greetings, friends.
    Y'all might have noticed low progress on the mod as of late and I make this article to provide official information about our circumstances.

So first of all what we're working on (not at the particular period of time but following our in-house schedule):

1. 3d Art. We're developing three factions. You could already know the names of these: Rohan, Mordor and Isengard.
    - A brief look at the progress, Isengard (developed by Felarund in past and now taken over by enpremi (with huge improvements)) is almost 50% complete.
    - Mordor has some asset sketches here and there but nothing fully complete (you've seen trolls, some general assets for orcs and orc itself were made). We had very talented artist Hakan developing this faction but he had to leave the team after he has joined a major game-industry company and now participating in developing a cool game. We now have a beginner who is learning and practising to get everything done but he is still learning and has a lot to learn and many his works have to be revised.
    - And Rohan. Rohan is the slowest faction here. Y'all seen those magnificent concept arts made by Robbie McSweeney and that's pretty much all. Yes we have two 3d artists attached to this faction but both have literally no time due to real life circumstances. They've made some shields, helmets and few more assets but that's too few to be counted.

2. Animations. Our great dutch crew (Niels Dinkelaar and Gerre van der Meer) is working hard on animations for not only Rise of Mordor project. They're studying in university and they lack free time same as all of our team members. They are working on animating trolls and up to some more race-specific animations. I believe we still haven't released the MoCap session video from stream to the public but if it's highly requested we can drop it any time.

3. Creatures. Our 3d artist Zak Cowen had some issues with relocating to another city and then some job-related issues but still he made those badass trolls and now is working on Mumakil (which alter will be passed to animation team to create skeleton and billions of animations).

4. Music. Filip Olejka has created many all-new soundtracks for our mod. However music modding in Attila is still restricted and no one tries to discover that side of modding so yet we don't work much on this field.

5. 2d Art. As mentioned above Robbie McSweeney the Great has conceptualised whole Rohan roster and now mostly waits for 3d artists to bring his drafts to life. We also have Luke Martins who produces nice concepts for next factions on our list (Rhun and Harad) and we have Lord Ellessar who is making User Interface. Unfortunately our unit icons artist becomes inactive too often so we rarely able even to contact him not even saying of any progress here.

6. Architecture and maps. This summer I made a huge step forward in making custom settlements possible for Attila and now I can say with full heart it is fully possible to make settlements and we have even more opportunities here than people could make it back in Medieval 2. However with such possibilities there come some difficulties in making these assets. It takes incredible amount of time to produce single architecture asset, not even saying of the whole list of over 100 assets planned.
    As with land battles and other levels we have made some lore-accurate maps such as Fields of Celebrant and Folds of Isen. Though these still need to be finished and fixed.
    As for your beloved campaign map: We have conceptualised our Middle Earth map projected onto Europe map and created a list of settlements to be used with factions placed on that map. And that's all, I'm afraid. We've seen some persian modders have succeeded in moving the actual settlement in another location and they claim they know how to change province/region borders. This is extremely interesting work and we need more communication to learn from them (and investigate priceless time in learning it).

7. Database and lore. We have a small crew making balancing and creating rosters for factions. It's a tedious work that is usually left behind the scenes and so heroes are left unknown. Caligula the Mad and Maestro the Maester with help of Cshewey are pushing the lore into the base game and make it actually work with some great brand new ideas to the game experience.

8. Misc. Our team leader Vikus van de Merwe has developed priceless tool which eases us to create realistic assets for the mod. It is a shader for Substance Painter and Substance Designer. Briefly: you get in game exactly what you see in the editor. What you see in the editor is the result of some pretty simple manipulations with materials within the editor.

9. Optimisation. We've recently found 2 beginners in 3d modelling field. They've been given a task to optimise (create LODs) to our already existing assets. This should boost your performance while playing our mod. Because Rise of Mordor cares of it's players ©

I actually realised this article became too large while I wanted to leave just few comments so here I end with one last sentence.
    The current progress on the mod at this very moment is almost zero. Our team and me, in particular, are all-into the university and studying. I hate making promises and I honestly can say we were planning on releasing the mod to public as soon as possible but we beg your understanding on the situation and I want to emphasise how many hands our team lacks. So please, if you have solid(not beginner, because teaching beginners takes more time than developing the faction as it seems) skills in 3d modelling/animating/2d art, please contact me or Caligula via private message or any other available option.

Sincerely,
    Mr.Jox

Default Re: Status of the mod

I wish you guys good luck with this project, take your time no need to push fast make a great mod guys.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thanks for keeping us updated and good luck in both modding and real life to you all
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Laetus

Great to get such detailed info! I couldn't say it any better than atthias already did.

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    thanks for keeping us updated and good luck in both modding and real life to you all

Huge thumbs up from me!! It is awesome what you are doing for us, and I think every single one of us appreciate what you do!
    I really wish I could help you guys, but I started modelling only 2 weeks ago. So what I create is far from high-quality content

Foederatus

Was a bit worried that you were going to say that the mod was abandoned because of the lack of people and time available when I saw the name of this thread. Good to see that you are still doing what you can even when time is limited for you. Good luck with everything!

Laetus

As I forgot to write this in my previous post I just wanted to add that I would like to see the video of the livestream because (sadly) I couldn't watch it live.

Thanks for the insight in the state of development!

After reading it may seem like a dark time for RoM, but I remember the time when there were two LotR mods in development. Middle Earth:TW (if I remember the name incorrect, please let me know and I will correct it) was it´s name, and while RoM had little to show ME:TW was pumping out information and pictures. (I confirm, I too was more active on their forum.) Every now and than somebody would suggest merging the teams because two LotR mods would be too much. (I always felt that thoose suggestions implied that RoM should merge with ME:TW because ME:TW was developing faster, althougth I didn´t felt it was a fair assumption) Sadly ME:TW died unexpected, but gladly RoM prevailed.
    In my opinion RoM prevailed, not because of their greater passion for their work, but because of their team spirit combined with a nearly dwarfish-stubborness to end their started work with the best quality possible! And therfore I belive that RoM will prevail!

So I say, hopefully on behalfe of all RoM fans: "Thank you all in the RoM team! Thank you for your dedicatione, thank you for every bead of sweat and every (night-)hour you spent working! Keep up your good work, so that on one yet far but netherless beautifull day, you will be able to present us the mod, that we all are dreaming about! A three-times HIPP-HIPP HORRAY for our beloved mod team!!!!!"
    Medieval II: Hyrule: Total War

So, is this mod still alive?

Yeah we will never confirm mod as dead because we have not so much left to be done before the first public release. I'm afraid y'all gotta have to wait until summer for our best possible activity.

Don't worry, we can wait a little more for the first public release Keep going

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jox View Post
    Yeah we will never confirm mod as dead because we have not so much left to be done before the first public release. I'm afraid y'all gotta have to wait until summer for our best possible activity.
    Is there anyway that you could add in the Orc variations or tribes as units from the new "Shadow of War" game?

No. No ideas will be taken from other mods/games especially from SoW or SoM

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

I've been watching this mod progress so far from it's first stages and it's definitely not time to stop doing so now! All I can say is a great hurrah for your hard work and dedication, that's all that matters!

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Key-low's Avatar Laetus

Will the Rise of Mordor models be capable of being exported to Thrones of Britainnia or Three Kingdoms? Supposing that the games have a much higher degree of modding options than warhammer?

Can't tell for sure because those games are yet to come and their modding tools were not even revealed.
    My guess is yes, it should be easily portable however the question whether it worth it or not? If those games not gonna brings us more possibilities we not gonna bother with those.

Saw that you were working on some gondorian walls on youtube here, the other day, Mr. Jox! Is that what you guys are doing now? Creating custom maps? Anyone working on models for rohan or Mordor, or will it wait until summer?

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ask0901 View Post
    Saw that you were working on some gondorian walls on youtube here, the other day, Mr. Jox! Is that what you guys are doing now? Creating custom maps? Anyone working on models for rohan or Mordor, or will it wait until summer?
    Till summer 2020 maybe

Quote Originally Posted by ask0901 View Post
    Yeah obviously I'm working on gondor walls;p
    I'm about to finish fort walls, after that with little time passed we might have first few gondorean settlements.

Laetus

Well these news are great and quite unexpected! I'm still more than eager for any new RoM stuff.