Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782 ... LastLast

Thread: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Default Re: [HS] [RP] Britannia: The Isles of Chaos [Vanilla, Britannia Campaign]

The Lords of Scotland have prevailed against the Norse blight of our land. Norway up http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmkfq5...ay_28.sav/file

King of Norway is dead along with many of his family members

Prince Inge was crowned King in the field before his men were ambushed and forced to retreat to aberdeen where he is encamped. http://www.mediafire.com/file/56xeij.../0084.jpg/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/o6xovv.../0086.jpg/file

writing RP now.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [HS] [RP] Britannia: The Isles of Chaos [Vanilla, Britannia Campaign]

Hi everyone, I've been asked by Jadli to fill in the empty space that is England at the moment, if nobody objects to this. I've read a bit of the RP to get a picture on how things are going. I'd be interested to join if I can get a couple of days to read up on all of the RP to get the full picture before I have to play my turn. I'm all for the RP, though it is mostly in fantasy like the Silmarillion hotseat that I'm in, so hopefully I won't disappoint in that regard should everything go as planned.

Edit: There seems to be a problem with the google drive link, in the first post, to the modded files. It tells me the file doesn't exist. The hotfix part, the descr_strat file works just fine.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; September 11, 2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Sorry for the many edits. My mind is all over the place

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been asked by Jadli to fill in the empty space that is England at the moment, if nobody objects to this. I've read a bit of the RP to get a picture on how things are going. I'd be interested to join if I can get a couple of days to read up on all of the RP to get the full picture before I have to play my turn. I'm all for the RP, though it is mostly in fantasy like the Silmarillion hotseat that I'm in, so hopefully I won't disappoint in that regard should everything go as planned.

Edit: There seems to be a problem with the google drive link, in the first post, to the modded files. It tells me the file doesn't exist. The hotfix part, the descr_strat file works just fine.
    Your more than welcome to join the chaos that grips Britannia..

If you have any questions in regards to diplomacy or so feel free to ask.

Lastly I can upload my TIOC folder if the link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandIsBest View Post
    The Lords of Scotland have prevailed against the Norse blight of our land. Norway up http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmkfq5...ay_28.sav/file

King of Norway is dead along with many of his family members

Prince Inge was crowned King in the field before his men were ambushed and forced to retreat to aberdeen where he is encamped. http://www.mediafire.com/file/56xeij.../0084.jpg/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/o6xovv.../0086.jpg/file

writing RP now.
    Come on man, you should know the rules by now.

How did you assault the fort in one turn?

1- There were two units of catapults there so you need at least 2 catapults and a ballista to assault and you did not show that you have these in your army.
    2- You didn't build any rams to assault.

Reminder of the rules:

"For forts you need only one ballista."

- However, siege artillery itself is not enough to assault a settlement. Continue reading below...
    Siege Equipment

> If a besieged settlement isn't big enough for ladders to have any use, a battering ram is enough. That means settlements with wooden pallisades - motte and bailley and smalll towns. (forts fall into this category too)
    > Rebel cities only require the siege equipment rules, and not the extended battering ram/ladder requirements.

- To remind again, you need to fullfil also requirements for siege artillery, not only siege equipment."

I guess you will have to re-do your turn

Welcome man, and thanks for joining.
    I'll send you a PM to explain the relationships between England and Norway so far.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

I think I was just using the basic Britannia mod for my version ? {although it has been so long since the start, I cannot be sure ]
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

I played my turn but waiting for Scotland to post his RP of the previous turn before I post mine, since he had to replay.

Current Hotseat:

No need to hold the hotseat up this long due to RP, can we get this going?

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Yea, I think that might take ages, please play on. If you guys want, I can find a replacement for him, as he has already delayed this hotseat by weeks...

I will post my RP tonight.
    I was waiting because ScotlandIsBest told me that he was going to post his RP. But this was days ago so I agree, no more waiting.
    I'll post mine tonight then.

I don't think we should replace ScotlandIsBest, he has been a great player and did some nice RP. He is dedicated. Yet he has indeed been slow in the last few turns. But I am sure he is 100% committed to this HS.
    Last edited by Der Böse Wolf; September 22, 2018 at 05:19 PM.

Current Hotseat:

After the disastrous campaign to conquer the Scottish capital of Perth, where half the Norse army was destroyed due to the unexpected arrival of the Welsh army which came to aid the Scots and help turn the tide, King Magnus with many of his trusted generals retreated to the castle delimiting the borders between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Noregveldi, the last bastion of protection before the city of Aberdeen...
    The troops were despondent, having all lost a brother, or a friend.

Prince Inge tried to reinforce the battered royal army at the castle but was chased to Aberdeen by Eoin Stewart, one of the Scottish clans leaders.
    Inge's Army was in very bad shape and trapped in a city with little defences.

The armies of King Alexander and Prince Patrick of Scotland laid siege to the castle with overwhelming numbers and a load of catapults.
    At the same time, Stewart's troops were closing in on Aberdeen.

If the castle falls, Aberdeen will fall and the whole royal family will be annihilated.

The situation was desperate.

Their Allies, the English, were far away in the South.

The Norse can not expect a sudden help from English troops to relieve them, like the Welsh did for the Scots.

Only a miracle can save the Northmen.

But miracles are the work of God. The same God King Magnus have forsaken for the old Norse gods.

The Christian God made a miracle in Perth and the Scots defeated the Norse against all odds.

Can the Norse gods deliver their own now?

As fear, doubt, desperation and anger overwhelm the Norse troops, sudden cries of joy spread among the men:

AND THE FIERCE HUSCARLS ARRIVED

A cry for help in time of need, await relief from holy league
    60 days of siege, outnumbered and weak
    Sent a message to the sky, wounded soldiers left to die
    Will they hold the wall or will the city fall

Dedication

Dedication

They're outnumbered 15 to one
    And the battle's begun

Then the winged hussars >> the FIERCE HUSCARLS arrived
    Coming down the mountainside
    Then the winged hussars >>
    the FIERCE HUSCARLS arrived

Coming down they turned the tide

Indeed, Lars Masson, the best Norse general, arrived out of nowhere with his mounted Huscarls and attacked the unsuspecting Scots as they were about to assault the castle.

Masson has ridden non stop for many days from Inverness with fresh Huscarls arriving from Norway to serve their beloved King Magnus.

When the royal troops saw the chaos Masson and his fierce warriors have created in the Scottish camps, they sallied out like beserkers, thirsty for blood and revenge for their fallen kinsmen.

Still outnumbered, they fought like lions.

But the battle was far from won.

As the tide was still uncertain, Magnus suddenly stopped swinging his axe and stood in awe:

300 men appeared in the horizon, armed with just spears. 300. The coincidence was striking.

Led by captain Sweyn, they joined the Norse with an unrivalled savagery! They were either very young or too old to fight. Yet here they were.

"Who are these men??" asked Magnus.

"They are the militia citizens of Aberdeen! They have sneaked past Stewart's troops and came to help! Heil Odin!" those wore the last words of Ulfheidin of Jylinge, Magnus' adopted son.
    He was struck by a Scottish arrow as he was raising his bloodied axe to the skies in jubilation.

Seething with anger, Magnus led the final charge and the Scottish troops, unable to hold the lines against the massive rush, broke in masses and started fleeing.

Many were slain as they desperately tried to escape the hooves of the mad Huscarls.

King Alexander and Prince Patrick managed to fall back to Perth with only 20% of their men.

The rest of the Scots were either slain or captured.

But the captives were immediately lined up and struck by an axe at the front of their head.
    Magnus was in no mood for mercy after the death of his son.

This was a grand victory. A miracle.
    A miracle made possible by Norse men to help Norse men.

Not a miracle made possible by ungrateful, treacherous Welsh, to help equally treacherous Scots!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ulfheidin of Jylinge, was given a royal Viking funeral.

His body, armour, axe, spear and shield were put on a boat and then set on fire by an a flaming arrow, shot by King Magnus himself.

"Remember men, remember and learn.
    You all know that I always stood by King LLewelyn of Wales when England invaded his lands.

I stoop up to my father to defend Wales. And when my father died and I became King, I cancelled our historical and beneficial alliance with King Henry III of England, as a protest to his actions against Wales.
    I even offered refuge to Prince Dafydd of Wales as the English surrounded his last castle at Caernarvon.

I then joined the Celtic Alliance of Ireland and Scotland AGAINST England, risking civil war between ourselves as Prince Inge was in favour of England. I even gave Scotland a second chance to prove their honour after the Scottish princes betrayed our alliance and attacked us, causing the death of Norse troops in Ireland who were left ashore without the promised Scottish support and were ambushed and butchered by the Irish.
    This treason aso lead to the death of the Irish Prince at Castle Town. His army was defeated and the Scots didn't even help their new allies, the Irish, but chose to turn tail and sail away, leaving the Irish to be massacred alone.

I did all this because I believed in Wales' right for sovereignty. I also did it because I believed in King Llewelyn as an honourable man that could do great things to his people.

Yet you all saw what happened at Perth.

If not for LLewelyn and his men, my son would not be burning on this ship, on his way to Valhalla.
    If not for Llewelyn and his men, your brother and friends would not be feasting in Valhalla, but feasting with us right now. Valhalla would still wait for another day.

You see brave men, this is why I decided to return to our Pagan roots.
    The Christian values of modesty and turning the other cheek brought us only misery.
    We came to Britannia as proud pagans, and we will remain in Britannia as proud pagans.

Let the Christians and their values die at our swords. Because the only values we saw in the Christians are treason and ungratefulness.

Look at this, this is the head of Ambrose of Plymouth. He is the representative of King Simon, the newly crowned King of the North by the Northern Shires.
    Ambrose has come all the way here to deliver me this new treaty which cancels our Trade Rights with the Northern Shires, citing religious differences as those folks in the south do not wish to trade with us, Heathens.

But do you know why is Simon now the King in the North?

It is because I encouraged him to rebel against England as I believed in the rights of the Northen Shires to be Independent!

And after indeed taking my advice, he decided to deprive both our peoples from valuable trade because we don't pray to his God! The God of mercy and Love as he claims!

You see men, a wise ruler is a ruler who learns from his mistakes.

I made a mistake.

I though that England was a tyrant nation and stood up against them.
    But now, now I announce to you that Englishmen and Northmen are allies again.
    King Edward and I have sealed the treaty, just like my father, King Haakon did with Edward's father King Henry.

I also made peace with Prince Inge. Now, we are united to face the real ennemies of our peoples.

Our fallen brothers will be avenged!"

As Magnus finished his speech, roars and cries of jubilation arose in the dark night. Whiskey was flowing to celebrate with the heroes in Valhalla.
    But the day after, the war council was already busy.

Indeed, Stewart's army was still just outside Aberdeen, outnumbering Inge's men, stuck in the city.

At the same time, the Irish were still ravaging the Norse settlements in the west and now threaten to attack Inverness...
    ------------------------------------------------

The Northern Shires are next: http://www.mediafire.com/file/91bqdp...ns_28.sav/file
    Last edited by Der Böse Wolf; September 22, 2018 at 05:14 PM.

Current Hotseat:

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Jadli asked me to take over as admin of this hotseat, and I agreed. Files installed and working correctly. Let me know if you need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by joerock22 View Post
    Jadli asked me to take over as admin of this hotseat, and I agreed. Files installed and working correctly. Let me know if you need anything.
    Welcome aboard.

But why did Jadli leave?

Current Hotseat:

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

I am still a coadmin, dont worry

I just had too many main admin positions due to me becoming the main admin in some other hotseats, so I was over the admin cap, which is now fixed by this

The winter of 1285AD brought a bitter but not unexpected blow to the peoples of the northern shires where the citadel of York announced that King Simon had passed away in his sleep , a peaceful end to a otherwise warlike man , who perhaps saw beyond the petty struggles of the the nobility looking out for the people themselfs. A day of morning was announced a week hence for the peoples of the shire to attend, and the news passed quickly across the shires , with people alerted with the ringing of church bells , to announce that the king had lost his life. Farmer owners , labourers and tradesmen alike worried about the future without the stability such a leader provided for the fierce northern people. Priests held services both to mour his passing , and to celebrate his life, berating the local populace that its was there ills and sins that hassened the death of such a popular leader.

It was perhaps a worthy mission he had embarked on , in bringing his version of the "dream of albion" to perhaps encourage the daily lot of the common folk whilst keeping the peace and trying to enforce the status quo of contestious nobles in this age of warfare.A general call had been sent out to leaders, and nobles of other factions , for those who wished to show there respect to the most worthy of knights , as his body was given to God, and a special service would be held in the Cathedral in York , to celebrate his passing. Additionally at such a event with faction leaders being present [if they wish to appear] there would be scope for discussions of bringing peace to the kingdom , was the hope for the archbishop of York , as he penned the letters for all the leaders , and nobles who were to be contacted for the funeral.

[House of Lancaster , coat of arms]

[Historical note - I am going to use the House of Lancaster coat of arms from now , to represent the most important house perhaps of the barons of the north . Historically the House of Lancaster was the name of two cadet branches of the royal House of Plantagenet. The first house was created when Henry III of England created the Earldom of Lancaster—from which the house was named—for his second son Edmund Crouchback in 1267. Edmund had already been created Earl of Leicester in 1265 and was granted the lands and privileges of Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, after de Montfort's death and attainder at the end of the Second Barons' War.When Edmund's son Thomas, 2nd Earl of Lancaster, inherited his father-in-law's estates and title of Earl of Lincoln he became at a stroke the most powerful nobleman in England, with lands throughout the kingdom and the ability to raise vast private armies to wield power at national and local levels. This brought him—and Henry, his younger brother—into conflict with their cousin Edward II of England, leading to Thomas's execution. Henry inherited Thomas's titles and he and his son, who was also called Henry, gave loyal service to Edward's son—Edward III of England.

You can see here although historically that Simons estates where given to The English kings son, as being of utmost importance , and so likewise the [for me] its seems I will continue that thread by making Henry of Lancaster [at least for the hotseat] the most important character [and estate] for the Northern shires faction.

-------------------------

The succession of power was now transferred as was agreed upon before hand , with Lord Henry of Lancaster taking on the status of "Protector" and funny enough the newest member of the shires a certain Robert de Brus, 5th Lord of Annandale , who owned significant landholdings in England , had found himself the nitch post governing York and was made called "defender of the shire" position, as successor to the Protector due to his administration skills.

Having a different leader in command of governing the shire was sure to bring change, and of course such was the situation here, where the very tempestuous. Henry of Lancaster , was known for his great administration skills , extravagance , and his fierce temper which didn't suffer fools gladly. As regards to the war with the crown in the lands , to the south , he was not sure whether such a thing , was to continue with the expense of the people being plowed into the struggle , he was not of course , as close to Simon's views when it came to supporting the welsh claim to recover there lands, and was more about personal accumulation of wealth for himself and his family. He had to consider the two battle-groups which marched down from Carlisle and Newcastle, but he hoped when they been broken or disbanded , he could perhaps re-open negotiations with the English king , to a more peaceable arrangement, unless of course another opportunity arose to expanse the holdings of the north arrived.

Another message from the irish had arrived, promising further support, but Simon had held onto such message for years, with little hope arriving, but Henry was of a more suspicious nature of the turbulent Celtic allies , having seen no credible support since the skirmishes between the english crown had occurred on the border.

In the previous season , Lord Robert Stringer [english crown forces] had arrived at speed, thwarting the northern shires attempts to assault Norwich , and it looked like further reinforcements were on the way. But some of the rebellious people of Carlise had marched ahead of the main raiding group , moving steathly deep into the english crowns lands , taking control of Groby castle which was left undefended.

----------------------------------------

The real {historical} Death of the real Simon de montfort & 2 of his battles

1)battle of Lewes - 1264AD

1216 England was engulfed in the First Barons War where senior Anglo-Norman magnates were fighting to overthrow King John for his repudiation of Magna Carta. The accession of the young Henry III, coupled with a policy of reconciliation by the new regime and victories at a number of key battles, had seen that war end. However, medieval society relied upon a strong King who could strike a balance between exercising his authority and managing his Barons. Henry III lacked this skill and by the late 1250s the country was once again on the cusp of civil war as the Baronial faction was angered by his autocratic rule and promotion of favourites.

Matters came to a head in 1258 when Henry III was forced by his Barons to agree the Provisions of Oxford; a treaty which required the King to surrender key powers, particularly on taxation and inheritance, to a council headed by Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester. In a parallel with his father and Magna Carta, Henry III sought and was granted Papal annulment of the Provisions. This was granted in 1261 but the Baronial faction was too strong and so the matter was eventually placed in the hands of Louis IX of France to act as arbitrator. In January 1264 in the Mise of Amiens, Louis annulled the Provisions of Oxford. The decision ignited the Second Barons War (1264-7) with the rebel forces being headed by Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester.

The early months of 1264 saw both the Royalists and the rebels move to secure key castles, the ultimate instruments of control in medieval society. Henry III's strongest support was in the Midlands which he secured by reducing rebel garrisons in Northampton, Leicester and Nottingham before relieving Rochester Castle which was under siege by a rebel army. The King then captured Tonbridge before marching south to Lewes, where the castle was loyal to him, hoping to rest his army and acquire reinforcements before engaging the rebels.

Montfort was keen to resolve the war before the King became too strong. He marched his army to Fletching, some 8 miles to the north of Lewes. There he made overtures to the King who rejected them out of hand writing to Montfort that "We therefore let you know that you are all defied as public enemies by each and all of us your enemies, and that henceforth whenever occasion offers we will fight with all our might...to damage your persons and property...". Having received this message, on the morning of 14 May 1264 Montfort moved his army to Lewes ready for battle.

The battle

The battle was fought on 14 May 1264. Montfort’s forces approached Lewes from the north. The main Royalist army was camped around Lewes Priory, to the south of the town, whilst Prince Edward was at Lewes Castle with the heavy cavalry.

Stage 1: Deployment

Montfort immediately occupied the high ground at Offham Hill overlooking the town. His army consisted of a large number of inexperienced and untested troops, many drawn from London, which he positioned on his flanks whilst his experienced men-at-arms were placed in the centre.

Stage 2: Edward Attacks

As soon as Prince Edward heard of Montfort’s deployment, he mobilised his force and rode out to engage them without waiting for his father to join him. Edward launched an assault on Montfort’s left which consisted predominantly of untrained recruits. Faced with Edward's heavy cavalry, they broke and fled.

Stage 3: Edward Leaves Field

Edward pressed home his attack and pursued the fleeing troops effectively leaving the field. Concurrently Henry's infantry force had arrived and now had the unenviable task of attacking uphill without heavy cavalry support.

Stage 4: Royalist Infantry Assault

Montfort’s troops made good use of the higher ground. Henry’s advance was stalled and then his forces pushed back down the hill towards the Priory. Order within the Royalist ranks broke down and the army collapsed into rout. In the retreat Henry III was captured and the rebels swept into the town although the castle refused to surrender despite the King's predicament.

Stage 5: Edward Returns

Precisely how long Edward was away from the battlefield pursing the broken troops of Montfort's left flank is uncertain. By the time he returned however the Royalist army had been broken and the King was in custody. Edward was minded to carry on fighting but with the rebel forces now in the narrow streets of the town and no order amongst the scattered infantry to support him, it was pointless. Reluctantly he accepted Montfort’s peace terms.

Aftermath
    According to the Chronicle of St Pancras Priory at Lewes, Royalist casualties in the fight were 2,700. Crucially though both Henry III and Prince Edward were in Montfort’s custody enabling the Earl to effectively rule in the name of the King. But it was not to last; Edward escaped, gathered forces and surprised Montfort at the Battle of Evesham the following year. Montfort was killed and Henry III restored.

Historians hotly debate the Montfort era with some hailing it as one of the fledgling moments of democracy in England. It is certainly true that in his short reign the Earl extended representation but then Edward, once King, did similar as a tactic for managing dissent. Furthermore it is perhaps unwise to see Montfort as some reforming idealist – his Mise of Lewes, which significantly curtailed Royal power, was more about ensuring the Earl had the power rather than the King. Overall the revolt did not start an explosion of democracy - it would be almost 400 years before Parliament asserted itself in the Civil War - therefore perhaps, at least in the short to medium term, the most significant outcome of the Battle of Lewes was the experience it gave to Prince Edward. It forged in him a determination to preserve Royal power that would impact upon his later dealings with Wales and Scotland. It also taught Edward much about military manoeuvres; from this point on the future warrior king would never again mount an uphill attack and he put the lessons learnt at Lewes to good effect at Evesham the following year.

2)Battle of Evesham 1265AD

In early 1265 England was under the de facto control of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester. In the preceding years he, along with other key magnates, had opposed the autocratic rule of Henry III as well as the King's promotion of French favourites at the expense of the Anglo-Norman Barons. In 1258 attempts had been made to curtail Henry's power with the Provisions of Oxford; a treaty which required the King to surrender key powers, particularly on taxation and inheritance, to a council headed by Montfort. But Henry sought a Papal Bull to annul the treaty and was supported by the decision of Louis IX of France, who had been asked to arbitrate between monarch and Barons, in favour of the King. The result had been the Second Barons War (1264-7) with the rebel forces being headed by Montfort.

The war had started in January 1264 and had initially gone well for the King with the capture of key rebel outposts at Northampton, Leicester and Nottingham and relief of a siege around Rochester Castle. But the Royalist cause met with disaster in May 1264 when the King and Prince Edward were defeated at the Battle of Lewes and both taken into Montfort's custody. Thereafter the Earl had forged a Government based on the Provisions of Oxford.

Within a year of Montfort's victory however, opposition was growing against his regime. Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucester had been a key supporter of Montfort but had become envious of his fame prompting him to defect to the Royalist cause. He initially concealed his change of heart and used his position to question the continued detention of Prince Edward (who was being held at Kenilworth Castle). This led to the Prince being held under less stringent conditions which facilitated his escape. Using new exercise opportunities afforded to him, he exhausted all but one of the horses of his guards before mounting this and galloping off! Edward joined Roger Mortimer, Lord of Wigmore and Gilbert de Clare in the Welsh Marches where they and other Marcher Lords rallied around him.

With Prince Edward now at the head of a large army, Montfort headed to Wales to bolster his forces and successfully concluded an agreement with Llywelyn ap Iorwerth (the Great) to provide infantry. Even so the Earl was aware he had insufficient forces and thus instructed his godson, another Simon, to raise an army in England. The Earl then manoeuvred to avoid engagement with Edward's forces whilst he awaited augmentation by this second army.

Prince Edward moved his forces against the younger Montfort and attacked him at Kenilworth Castle. He caused heavy losses and crucially also captured numerous Montfortian banners. Edward then moved his forces west starting to shadow the Earl who by now was in Evesham, a town situated within a loop in the River Avon. Approaching under the captured enemy banners, Edward was able to trick Montfort into thinking he was about to be augmented by his godson. Too late he realised the deception and found himself in a dire position. The bridge over the Avon was too small for an evacuation and whilst Montfort himself could have fled, and might have saved part of his army, it would have been the end of his career. Furthermore he received intelligence that a Royalist column was making its way towards the bridge on the other side of the river. Noting he had little choice, Montfort resolved to fight.

The battle

Edward had mustered a substantial force perhaps as large as 15,000 strong. This dwarfed the 5,000 men Montfort had within the town itself which included a significant detachment of Welsh troops.
    The battle was fought on 20 August 1265. Edward's forces approached from Worcester in the west. They advanced along the route now known as The Squires (which connects the A44 and A46) and occupied the plateau on top of Greenhill to the north of Evesham. Edward had clearly learnt from Lewes.

Stage 1: Deployment

Around 9am Montfort addressed his troops and led them out of Evesham with cavalry to the fore and his Welsh contingent, who were seemingly reluctant to fight, as his rearguard.

Stage 2: Cavalry Charge

With Edward holding the high ground with a substantially larger force, Montfort would have realised how desperate his position was. He led a bold cavalry attack with his entire mounted force along the course of the Evesham Road (now the A4184) into the Royalist centre. It is possible that Edward had not had sufficient time to muster his entire forces on the Greenhill plateau by this stage and, if so, it must have been Montfort's intent to break the Royalist line.

Stage 3: Surrounded

Montfort's charge seemingly had some success with some of the Royalists pushed back. But the difference in numbers eliminated any hope Montfort might have had of breaking their line. The Royalist divisions on the left and right had not been engaged and, led by Mortimer and Gilbert, enveloped Montfort.

At the start of the battle Edward had made it clear that the normal rules of chivalric warfare were not to be applied during the fight. Furthermore he had hand-picked a 'death squad' to target Simon de Montfort himself and kill him by any means. Now totally surrounded Montfort formed his army into a circle but weight of numbers overwhelmed him. The battle turned into a rout with the encircled troops being cut down in accordance with Edward's vicious policy. Montfort himself was killed by Roger Mortimer and was subsequently hacked to pieces; his hands, feet, head and genitals were hacked off. Henry III was lucky; dressed in Montfortian armour he was with the Earl as the rout commenced and was set upon by Edward's troops - "I am Henry of Winchester! Your King! Do not kill me!". Roger Leybourne recognised his monarch and took him safely to Edward.

Stage 4: Rout

Edward's victorious army now charged against the Welsh troops who broke and fled. They were pursued mercilessly by Edward's forces and even those seeking sanctuary in Evesham Abbey were not spared.

Aftermath
    The battle was a relatively short affair with chroniclers suggesting it was over within 2 hours. Baronial casualties were estimated to be around 4,000 - almost 80% of the original force - largely due to the Royalist policy of no quarter. Almost all of the rebel Barons were killed alongside Montfort - those taken alive were stripped of their armour and hacked to death. The brutality led Robert of Gloucester to describe the battle as "the murder of Evesham, for battle it was none".

The victory at Evesham and the death of Simon de Montfort all but ended the Second Barons War. One final battle, another Royalist victory, would be fought at Chesterfield (1266) but the peace that followed, as detailed in the Dictum of Kenilworth, fully restored Royal authority. Seven years later Edward was crowned King and, unlike his father and grandfather, conformed to the medieval ideal of a strong warrior ruler. In the immediate term though the victory over the Barons freed Prince Edward to proceed on crusade where he further enhanced his military experience.

Simons death

An ominous black cloud hung over the field of Evesham on 4 August 1265 as Montfort led his army in a desperate uphill charge against superior forces, described by one chronicler as the "murder of Evesham, for battle it was none".On hearing that his son Henry had been killed, Montfort replied, "Then it is time to die."During the battle, a twelve-man squad of Edward's men had stalked the battlefield independent of Edward's main army, their sole aim being to find the earl and cut him down. Montfort was hemmed in; Roger Mortimer killed Montfort by stabbing him in the neck with a lance.Montfort's last words were said to have been "Thank God".

[A 13th-century cloth depiction of the mutilation of Montfort's body after the Battle of Evesham]

Of de Montforts death there is a contemporary account that is attributed to a London chronicler name Arnald FitzThedmar.

"The head of the Earl of Leicester, it is said, was severed from his body, and his testicles cut off and hung on
    either side of his nose. In this state, the head was sent to the wife of Roger de Mortimer, at Wigmore Castle.
    Simon de Montfort’s hands and feet were also cut off, and sent to many of his enemies as a great mark of dishonour
    to the deceased. The trunk of his body, however, and that alone, was given for burial in the church of Evesham."

Also losing their lives that day were Simon's son Henry, and Peter de Montfort who both died in the battle. Hugh Despencer, Chief Justiciar of England, grandfather of the more famous Hugh Despencer the younger, was slain at the hands of Roger Mortimer.

[Roger Mortimer holds up the severed head of Simon de Montfort by artist Matthew Ryan. ]

Montfort's body was mutilated in a frenzy by the royalists. News reached the mayor and sheriffs of London that "the head of the earl of Leicester ... was severed from his body, and his testicles cut off and hung on either side of his nose";and in such guise the head was sent to Wigmore Castle by Roger Mortimer, 1st Baron Mortimer, as a gift to his wife, Maud. His hands and feet were also cut off and sent to diverse places to enemies of his as a great mark of dishonour to the deceased.Such remains as could be found were buried under the altar of Evesham Abbey by the canons. It was visited as holy ground by many commoners until King Henry caught wind of it. He declared that Montfort deserved no spot on holy ground and had his remains reburied under an insignificant tree. The remains of some of Montfort's soldiers who had fled the battlefield were found in the nearby village of Cleeve Prior.

Montfort's niece, Margaret of England, later killed one of the soldiers responsible for his death, purposely or inadvertently.
    Matthew Paris reports that the Bishop of Lincoln, Robert Grosseteste, once said to Montfort's eldest son, Henry, "My beloved child, both you and your father will meet your deaths on one day, and by one kind of death, but it will be in the name of justice and truth."

In the years that followed his death, Simon de Montfort's grave was frequently visited by pilgrims. Napoleon Bonaparte described Simon de Montfort as "one of the greatest Englishmen".Today, Montfort is mostly remembered as one of the fathers of representative government.

Montfort bears responsibility for persecution of Jews. In addition to his expulsion of Jews from Leicester, his faction in the Second Baron's War initiated pogroms killing perhaps the majority of Jews in Worcester and around 500 in London.The violence and killings unleashed by the war targeting Jews carried on after his death.

[Memorial stone on the site of Montfort's grave, Evesham]

Evesham Abbey and the site of Montfort's grave were destroyed with the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century. In 1965, a memorial of stone from Montfort-l'Amaury was laid on the site of the former altar by Speaker of the House of Commons Sir Harry Hylton-Foster and Archbishop of Canterbury, Michael Ramsey.
    Various local honours were dedicated to his memory, and he has become eponymous several times over. De Montfort University in Leicester is named after him, as is the nearby De Montfort Hall, a concert venue. A statue of Montfort is one of four to adorn the Haymarket Memorial Clock Tower in Leicester. A relief of Montfort adorns the wall of the Chamber of the United States House of Representatives

By 1267 the problems between Henry and his barons, that were based on the 1258/9 provisions, had still not settled down and a new set of laws were needed. On the 18th or 19th of November 1267, in a Parliament at Marlborough the twenty nine chapters that made up the Statute of Marlborough, was passed. The kings last few years saw his power restored and it was a relatively peaceful one following the signing of the Dictum of Kenilworth. Henry was sensible enough to pass many of Simon de Montfort's ideas and changes to government, and this act was brought into play by the end of October 1266.

Turn to England
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rvakd40qa...nd_29.sav?dl=0

Last edited by paladinbob123; September 24, 2018 at 04:23 PM.

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Cleared save sent and mod files re-uploaded (by Jadli). Welcome to the hotseat.

Content Emeritus

Thanks very much Joe! I'll begin playing as soon as I can today.

Content Emeritus

England

The year 1286 brought with it many messages from all over the British Isles. The death of Lord Simon was the first to arrive though not via a direct message but through rumours. Edward I, the King of England didn't know what to think of this and was conflicted. He was overjoyed to hear the traitor Simon was dead yet Simon had been like him, a warlike man and Edward knew he would miss his adversary. A half smile touched the left side of his face at that thought though it soon faded and his face became stern once again. The war was not over yet and a new Lord would step up to lead the rebellion further and defy his divine rule over England. This could make him fly into a furious rage and all would flee before him in his anger for he was a man quick to anger but also moved quick to laughter. If there was something he wanted to achieve in his lifetime it was reunite England and lead its armies to glory against their many enemies, he wanted to succeed where his father and his father's fathers had failed and become the greatest King England had knows for a long time. These were the dreams of a ambitious man and if it depended on his will alone he would succeed yet the world is full of peril and there are things in the world that no man can change and all may turn to sadness in the end.

But England was not without friends. To the north, the Norwegians struggled against much of the same enemies that England was facing. From them came a message that filled him with great joy. It told of a great victory over the Scots and even though England and Scotland were not at war, Edward could only feel relief at the news for if the Norwegians should fall England would stand alone. Though hope remained and Edward prepared both military as well as diplomatic to ensure the safety and continuation of his kingdom. He would stand true to his allies and crush all before him whether by the pen or by the sword.

England would prevail!

England anno 1066 - CKII soundtrack

Ireland up http://www.mediafire.com/file/caoa9s...nd_29.sav/file
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; October 10, 2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: edited so the video would work

Panic runs throughout the streets of Dublin as news of a English fleet has been spotted north of Cork..

"Damnation! They can blockade trade and strangle us from the sea! where is the Emerald fleet?" said the High King.

"In the north still sire transporting the volunteers to northern England to aid the barons.. even so they could of beaten the English back but would of been trapped between a further 1500 English ships which now lay of the coast of Wales, a heroic but futile attempt.." said the Herald.

"Curses! send word for the admiral to keep his distance and only to strike when odds are in our favour.. and prepare the royal host at once for war is upon us"

Royal Irish knights don their armour while the mighty Ulster swordsmen wielding great 2hand swords sharpen their great swords..

Meanwhile in the north word reaches Art O'Rourke of the Scottish defeat at the hands of the Vikings but he was to far to lend aid and set course to the war that was closer at hand in the newly founded Kingdom of the north vowing to return north one day to serve justice..

As Art O'Rourke and his men were departing the ships the Welsh host under their King had been marching south and had set up camp next to the Irish.. King Llywen and Art took to the war pavilion to discuss the war and other issues of the land..

Art had dispatched a vanguard force of 600 Irish bowmen to begin construction of the camp for the main 2,500 Irishmen who now lay camped near Dumfries that were preparing to aid the King of the north in his fight for freedom and hopes that his petition to the Welsh King when they met to join him bears fruit..

Wales up - http://www.mediafire.com/file/aas7z7...es_29.sav/file

Note to England: Not sure if you know but King Edward is aboard ships which are safely in a port not sure if it was done this turn or last but just a heads up.

A Big thank you to Turkafinwe and to Zender9 for taking on the other factions.. I hope you will enjoy the campaign , and produce some great RP to represent your faction ...thanks to Joerock who is kindly stepping into the admin shoes ...and for the recent quick turns and RP from Turkafinwe & Peaman [both who I would like to give some +rep] too but they have already globbled as much as I can give them at this time, which shows there good work {winks}

Indeed ^^, many thanks for Turk and zender for taking over the vacant so that we may continue with the chaos and for Joe for taking over the admin position and Jadli of course for admining to this point.