Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

Sextus was cold.

"I don't like what you are insinuating, Cotta."

Such a fool.

"Being granted proconsular power to lead a campaign is not unusual or unprecedented. Publius was the first Proconsul, granted his authority to continue his campaign against Naples without interference. The fact you would stand in the way of an old tradition simply highlights the depths of your hatred and paranoia towards Gnaeus Julius Iulus. "

"Not joint command. Iulus would serve fully independent in his actions, but would ultimately still report to Rome in all matters and would return once the campaign is complete for his due and celebration. He would be commander in the field, as he is now." Cotta turned to the boy. Gods how he wished Carbo would have killed him too.

"I insinuate nothing but fact. I have no hatred for Gnaeus or paranoia towards him. What I do have issue with is him requesting we throw our laws into the gutter. I am not opposed to aiding Iulus in obtaining Proconsulship, but he doesn't want one. He wants two. That's where my issue lies and it seems as though you have forgotten that."

"Then we are agreed, Cotta. " Sulpicianus announced. The man had done nothing more than agree with his original proposal, but he did not care if Cotta claimed credit for the idea.

"I agree with such proposal, let him have imperium"

But no province or proconsulship.

"On an unrelated topic, patres. With this matter settled, I wish to come forward with a gentle proposal"

He raises from his seat.

"Long has Rome suffered and kneeled in the mud. Our citizenry has been mistreated, used and frightened. Cheer and prosperity flied away from our city. That cannot be. I have consulted the best contractors, hired the most skilled among them. I have also hired the services of able architects and draughtsmen, workers, sculptors, carpenters and masons. Everything is ready"

The censor claps and two slaves enter carrying a large tabulae cerae, the surface scratched with the plans of a grand building.

"It is my duty as censor to oversee public works and approve the building of new structures. This is my gift to Rome: a theatre"

He points to the planimetry.

"Patres, this might sound menial, but it is not. Rome has no theatre worth its name. Our city has become a place of struggle and sorrow. I wish to return the favour the city of Rome has bestowed me, I wish to build a theatre that will be able to host twelve hundred men and women, twelve hundred good citizens, that will forgot their troubles and their unease watching the best plays ever written by man"

The censor looks to his peers.

"I wish the collaboration of the treasury in this project, for the building would be a gift to the people of Rome. Our coffers are full. With this, we would turn the money of those bandits, those thiefs, into a physical monument, we would return that coin to the people, in the shape of a theatre; as magnificent as those still standing in the Greek cities. What do you say, patres? I humbly beseech your approval"

The Theatre of Metellus...

The mere thought sufficed to cheer up the senator.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Rusca once again rises.

"I believe there is an issue more pressing then building a theater." If the man wanted a theater with his name on it he should be the one to provide the funds. "The restoration of the grain subsidies is crucial to seeing the city return to it's proper function. The people have suffered under war and taxation and the grain is an important part in seeing the city feed itself." He pauses studying his fellow senators. "It is inappropriate to invest in a theater when Roman's struggle to buy bread. Doing this will see the end of Carbo and Cinna's tyranny in the peoples eyes and will do much more to relieve their suffering then a theater ever could."

"So, there are food and bread shortages... According to you"

Said the censor.

"Last time I checked the grain supplies were steady, including those of Sicily and Egypt, our warehouses are fine and our trade wasn't disrupted beyond the usual. No draughts, no epidemies, no raids, no piracy wrecking our grain supplies... I haven't heard anything about bread shortage or hunger in the city either, beyond the usual poverty in the lower slums of the city"

He smiles.

"Must be your household the one starving"
    Last edited by Oznerol; October 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM.

Marcus spoke up "While I see no evidence of mass starvation in the city or any ills of the kind, and even if I did I would not be inclined to releasing funds from the treasury to deal with it, I also see no need for extravagant expenditure on a theater. We are not feminine Greeks to go to see dramas unfold, and actors are a most unsavory lot. They practice deception and falsehood for a profession, and the people should not be taught to fetishize them."

"The arts are to be cultivated"

Said the censor between his teeth.

"And Rome needs a theatre, something even the lowliest cities in Sicily have"

Pius frowns, seething with barely controlled rage.

"This is not a frivolity"

The censor points at the large plans held by the slaves.

"The complex will also held a shrine to Venus Fellix and a curia. The colonnade will provide shelter for traders, in fact they will be able to rent locals in the recint, turning the square into a small but fully functional market"

The theatre was preceeded by a colonnade and right across the courtyard would be erected the said curia, not as big as the Hostilia but still capable of holding the full Senate.

"Senators practice deceit and falsehood as well, many on a large scale. I see no reason for Rome not to have a theatre. Are we not the home of all arts and culture? The greatest city on earth? Let there be a theatre, it is most appropriate."

Iulus spoke calmly.

"Senators practice deceit and falsehood as well, many on a large scale. I see no reason for Rome not to have a theatre. Are we not the home of all arts and culture? The greatest city on earth? Let there be a theatre, it is most appropriate."

Iulus spoke calmly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345