Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

I will admit that I may be hasty in routing out the taint in the courts, and bringing judicial balance. Perhaps my later point could be revisited once things have had time to settle. An adequate measure for now would be to include the tribune aeraii to the Quaestoi. An amended bill being:

1.Officials of Courts and Tribunals will face permanent exclusion from office in cases of electoral corruption; as determined by the Senate or a judgment of the courts.

2.The judiciary will be restructured to better represent the will of the people. The tribune aeraii will not be excluded from the jury of quaestio

3. Magistrates who presided over the assemblies are prevented from dissolving the assemblies, by declaring that unfavorable omens have occurred. Such omens should instead be determined by the Augurs and Pontifex Maximus.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 15, 2017 at 03:14 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

"That is a law I can vote for." Marcus finally replied. "It is much more moderate."

"It seems civility and moderate debate have ruled this day." Cotta nodded. Insults weren't hurled, extremes weren't taken, and both sides were heard "I can also support this new proposition."

"That seems reasonable, something I would gladly support, the scope and scale are moderate, conservative and generally well-thought. Definetely, senator, you have my endorsement"

Said the censor.

"However, we are left without a Pontifex Maximus, that shall not be. It is know I pushed my candidacy to that august office, I wish to know if I have your support, my dear colleagues"

He added, being Pontifex was his ultimate goal and the people had already hailed his proposal in the forums, after a powerful speech delivered in the rostra. If the Senate supports Metellus, he would become Pontifex overnight.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Messalla sat and crossed his arms, Metellus was the reason he was not in Spain right now, and he would not support the man in this race.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

"I will support you"

Sextus Julius Iulus called from the stands.

"As it appears we are ready to vote on the Praetor's proposed law, I would request the censor or consul call a vote?" Mergus then sits back down and remains silent about the matter of the Pontifex Maximus.

Cotta calls the vote for the following:

1.Officials of Courts and Tribunals will face permanent exclusion from office in cases of electoral corruption; as determined by the Senate or a judgment of the courts.

2.The judiciary will be restructured to better represent the will of the people. The tribune aeraii will not be excluded from the jury of quaestio

3. Magistrates who presided over the assemblies are prevented from dissolving the assemblies, by declaring that unfavorable omens have occurred. Such omens should instead be determined by the Augurs and Pontifex Maximus.

The censor votes in favour to the motion, endorsing it.

Citizen

Praetor Marcus Creticus of course supports his own proposal.

Ultimately Messalla abstains, and remains in his seat. He did not oppose the law but he did not think it was necessary.

Metellus Pius proposes the Senate to vote for or against his candidacy to the Pontificate. He endorses the candidacy himself, supported by the will of the people (+4, thanks to successful speech at the Rostra).

The following has passed

Cotta votes in favor of Metellus Pius ascending to the Pontificate.

Sextus Julius Iulus and Gaius Julius Iulus both vote in favour of Metellus.

4 votes.

----

Lucius Licinius Lucullus votes in favour of Metellus.

Citizen

Praetor Marcus Creticus votes in favor of Metellus Pius

Messalla abstains. He was tempted to put his own name forward to thwart Metellus who had decided to stab him in the back, but he had bigger pigs to roast than Metellus. Furthermore he did not wish to make an outright political enemy of the man.

Since the vote was sure to result in Pius' election anyway, Marcus decided to wait in order to propose what would be his signature legislation of the year. With that matter concluded, he began.

"Patres, last year we found ourselves mostly in the field or else struggling to overcome the political tyranny of Carbo's faction. Many lessons were learned and relearned. Among these lessons is the simple fact that all of our ancestors were right regarding the proper age of entry into office." He was just getting started and did not want to bore everyone with long winded opening statements. "The defense of Rome was left to young men who had barely shaved since their first beard trimming. Not only was any strategy and leadership lacking, but it has proven that young men should not serve while so young. This was but one malady that resulted in allowing youths to hold high office in the Republic. the second malady was the establishment of ridiculously overpowerful political blocs within our midst, comprising all the male family members of a single family!" this is where Messalla began to get fired up. "The Consul Iulus has packed the Senate with his sons, one of whom paid the price for his ambition by Carbo's hand. The others sit in our midst, ready to blindly support the measures of their father without any hesitation. Can we allow one family to dominate the institutions and offices of the Republic? I think not, this is merely monarchy by another name. I call upon the Censor to formally inquire into the qualifications of the Iulii to remain independently Senators. Moral, property, wealth requirements, or other necessay items will be found missing. I name it immoral to dominate government with shameful court-packing behavior."

Messalla sat amidst great clamor. The hammer had fallen on the Iulii as planned, while their patriarch was gone.

Lex Valeria:

The Minimum age requirement for running for quaestor is set at 25.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 17, 2017 at 04:32 PM.

Gaius Julius Iulus stood quietly.

"I am here under the patronage of Sulpicianus, not of my father. Thus far, I have agreed in the same points, but you go too far Messala. Your hatred for my father is beginning to sound.. Unhinged."

-----

Sextus Julius Iulus, the Aedile, simply raised an eyebrow.

"Think before you speak, Praetor, I am near 28 and I have seen combat defending this Republic. Take care of whom you seek to insult."

"Sulpicianus is not your father." Messalla said flatly, "and regardless, the factionalism still stands. The Iulus voting bloc has hovered above this assembly as little more than a tyranny enacted by a single family." He did not even address the fact that Iulus' own experiences in battle were dwarfed by his own, and he had the marks to show it. "This sort of tyranny must be opposed, we have seen its use and effectiveness. Indeed, no Iulus seems to have an independent thought from his own father."

Gaius looked as if he was about to explode off his feet, but Sextus quietly set a hand on his shoulder. The oldest of Iulus' sons stood, taking his place in the centre of the Curia floor.

"Messala, you would be correct in assuming that Sulpicianus is not my brother's father - or at least I hope so!"

Sextus smiled softly as he waited for the chuckles to die down.

"But you would be wrong in assuming we are a faction. You will dispute that, of course, but let us examine the facts.

There have been a number of bills in which I have supported my father, most notable among them the bill to give the Consul command in Spain.

Now, my brother and I did vote for our father over you, Messala, and you have just proven why in your rapid attacks. What on earth would make us want to support you? Why on earth would we not vote against you? You have insulted my brother, who was slain in Carbo's proscriptions. You openly insult my father, you insult my stripling of a younger brother, and then you declare us a faction. Has it not occurred to you that you have insulted each of us individually and that we each have our own reasons to vote against you?

For the pattern is rather obvious, you are on one side and we the other. I think this bill hides a different motive. You are bitter, Senator, bitter because you perceive my father as a lesser man, whose military honours are far outstripped by yours and yet he achieved Consul before you, and commands in Spain, whereas you have struggled to even become a Praetor until recently. You are bitter that my father is not desperately in favour of your demanded reforms, even though he marched with Sulla. You are bitter that my house is older, descended from the founders of Rome, and that your own family is young in comparison. You are bitter that from my house comes five consuls and a Dictator, and that you have no such great tally. You are bitter that my cousin is married to the son of a man who could be seen as a populist, even though we are Patricians. But mostly, Messala, you are bitter because the Censor voted for my father, a Consul, over you.

Think you your abstention was not an obvious display of anger? No man has stood against Metellus as Pontifex Maximus, the vote was merely an endorsement. And yet you do not endorse him, even though you support him to become Imperator in the Civil War. He is a suitable candidate, and one that you obviously once supported. "

Sextus, amused by this charade, looks now to the Senate.

" I put it to you, patres et conscripti, that it is not noble desire to purge the Republic of would be tyrants, but a far baser cause that cultivates this motion.

Messala is motivated not by nobility, nor honour, nor even well placed worry, the Senator is motivated by jealously, bitterness and anger, and this august body would do well to take his bills with a pinch of salt. "

"As it is my duty, I will inquire about the suitability of everyone in this august assembly, discerning who rightfully belong to it and who does not"

Said the censor, raising two hands openned.

"Althought, I do not see the necessity of the restriction being set at twenty five years of age, but I do agree the minimun should exist, or else we would fill this Senate with men too young to even shave. I think twenty two would be closer to the necessities of this Senate, providing us with right amount of young men to replenish our ranks every year, without depleting our numbers"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast