Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cotta and Iulus, 81 BCE

Pius exhanges few words with Scipio, who nods approvingly. Something interesting happened then, Pius placed himself in Julius' side while Scipio went to the opposite. Thus, Pius had voted for and against the bill at the same time.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Messalla moved to reject the bill. He carefully noted the betrayal of Metellus.

1 (+2) = 3 votes against.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 13, 2017 at 07:11 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mettius was torn. On one hand he trusted his former commander with the army more then Iulus who had almost lost the center, but on the other hand Iulus had made promises to him, and those promises would have to be upheld. He shakes his head still trying to decide when a vote was called. In the end he moves over to support Iulus. Promises had been mad and in this case he would uphold his end.

Messalla concedes the vote, fuming. Any good feelings he had clutched to before entering the Curia quickly dissolved and he was once again brooding. The defeat did not sting as much as the betrayal.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Iulus accepted the victory, not with petty display of triumph, but with grace and calmness.

"I thank you for your confidence, Senators. I will accept your charge."

Iulus would march for Hispania, and for Carbo.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Marcus Antonius Creticus who had placed himself on the Consul's side of the room mad his way back to his seat.

Rising to address those present
    Members of the Curia

Waiting for them to face him
    As Praetor it is my duty to oversee laws and the justice of the courts. What I have found is injustice and corruption, the courts are packed with men who would fill their pockets with coin and see the guilty go unpunished, and incompetents who know not the law over which they judge. These must be corrected if we are to return peace to Rome and roll back the damage done by these past years.

Pausing
    I propose legislation be made to reform the judiciary and stop corruption of officials. This following points should be included.

1.Officials of Courts and Tribunals
    will face permanent exclusion from office in cases of electoral corruption; as determined by the Senate or a judgment of the courts.

2.The judiciary will be
    restructured to better represent the will of the people. The jury of quaestio will be composed of equal parts senators, equites, and tribune aerarii.

3. Magistrates who presided over the assemblies are prevented from dissolving the assemblies, by declaring that unfavorable omens have occurred. Such omens should instead be determined by the Pontifex Maximus.

Pausing for the senators to take in the legislation.
    While there are many other problems I would like addressed, these measures are the most drastic, and should be dealt with swiftly.

Having followed procedure he closes with the customary statement.
    What say the members of the Senate?
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

(I'm assuming tribunes can still sit the senate right now, per Marian legislation)

Marcus Junius Brutus was one of the tribunes elected for the year, and one of the few that had the gall to show his face on the floor of this particular Curia. It had been a long time since one of the Brutii had held the wealth required to sit among the esteemed fathers - it was indicative of their path from nephews of kings and founders of republics that this Brutus stood before them as a plebeian and tribune of the people.

He was a short, slight man, with a rather amenable face - his eyes were curious, or at least expressed honest curiosity. He stood up and cautiously motioned to speak from his lowly place as an observer.

"Praetor Marcus Antonius," he nodded, addressing the man with a tone that hoped he knew the man's name right, "I would like to inquire how the praetor defines electoral corruption." Interpretation and discretion was a corruption of its own.

Citizen

Turning to face the tribune
    Tribune Brutus, as I have just said, I am speaking of the bribery and fraud present in our judiciary. Of those who would try a guilty man, then let him go free when he opens his coin purse. Of those who would use their ambitus to gain a seat at the courts. Some may say that this does not matter, butlegitimacy matters, and it rests on a delicate understanding; the belief that those who govern have a right to govern, that it is the will of the gods.

To speak plainly, men pay their way into a posting with bare metal, we stand here today due to our reputation, and the support of our character and house. While gratitude's are sometimes given it should not be the sole means of assent. Now divisores are used to distribute money between tribes; a practice that is distasteful to many. Now interpretes hand out bribes to buy votes
    Pausing Now

Seeming to think he is done Marcus Aemelius Lepidus asks swiftly and loudly "Why does it matter to us if the Equites rule the quaestoi?

Continuing
    The people of this city and of the Republic draw their support from the strength of their words, the Mob is Rome. You of all people should know this Tribune. If we do not root this out, the people will. Our judiciary is stacked in favor of one class, it is known throughout the city that others deem it unfair. The aerarii have no say in the judiciary, and neither does the Senate, even though all are subject to the same law.

All these things and more go on in this city, and if not checked they will only worsen with time.

Finishing he waits for a response
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 14, 2017 at 01:03 AM.

Messalla considered the proposed law. "I find myself in full support of your first point, but I must depart from there." He began. "Firstly, disallowing the dissolution of the assemblies when the omens are unfavorable would seem to banish the will of the gods from the government. Certainly it places the full discretion of declaring the omens unfavorable on the Pontifex Maximus. This practice increases the power of the Pontifex Maximus at the expense of every other augur and priest within the city. Certainly we can rely on the judgments of the Flamenes Maiores in such matters. I also must insist that the structure of the judiciary never dips below 50% of representation among senators." It was no secret that Messalla had an interest in maintaining the status quo of the courts.

"There is one other issue. I request the release of 5'000 denarii for the purpose of recruiting auxiliary cavalry from Gallia Narbonesis."

"Iulus if you are incapable of fighting the rebels with the four legions provided you at no cost to you by the state, I am sure we can find a commander who can." Messalla replied dismissively.

Iulus ignored Messala.

"Censor, I am a Consul of Rome, while I understand Messala is embittered by the fact he is a cripple, it is not an excuse for his... Attitude.

I have no wish to engage in a slinging match with such a beleaguered man, and so I call upon you to gently remind him of proper etiquette. "

"This beleagured old man turned Carbo's flank while you barely held the center from collapsing." He replied with a laugh. "I am concerned that if our Consul finds typical debate in the Curia as too abrasive to stomach, he may not be prepared to face down anything more than women armed with sponges in the field." After a smattering of laughter ceased he continued "I am heartily against the release of any more funds from the public treasury for this expedition. If the Consul requires additional soldiers, he can provide for them himself. We have able leaders who are capable of dealing with the threat posed by Sertorius with the current array of troops available. Instead of catering to the lowest common denominator we should simply appoint a new leader for the command."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM.

"Peace! Consul Iulus, do not make me rue the day I voted for you"

Said Pius.

"Such behavior is unacceptable, behave or I will have to inspect your morality when the ranks of this Senate are examinated throughfully. You are a consul, not a swineherder in the Forum Boarium"

Iulus smiled. "Of course, Censor, my apologies."

Iulus looked oddly at Messala. "Well, you may be right, Messala, clearly that is why I was elected instead of you...

Or perhaps it was simply bad luck on your part, you do have a history of an inability to be elected."

Iulus shrugged and looked around. "Regardless, I suppose I shall be off to Hispania, I'll try to look after your son, Messala."

"Behave"

Said Pius, authoritative.

"You are charged with an important task by this august body and you should behave as expected from a consul of Rome. As representative of this noble council you must keep its dignity and reputation intact. The failure to fullfill your duties as expected will have the expected outcome, I do not wish any replacements to be sent or any ill news to come back from Hispania, Iulus"

He raised a hand.

"Fortuna bless your campaign and Mars guide your arm"

Cotta sat in his sit, reserved as always. Iulus lacked a lot of decorum and respect and preferred a lacking attempt at an insult above what mattered. He wouldn't be here long. Cotta didn't respond to Iulus, instead moving to focus on the Praetorial proposal "I do of course support the first point, but the others seem to take power away from our Priests and solidify it into one single man. Even if that man is the Pontifex Maximus, it undermines the rests authority."

Citizen

I will concede the second point, perhaps it is laying not just too much power, but also too much responsibility, It would be too much for any man. I would amend my proposal to extend to any officer of the high court at least an Augur. Would that suffice.

Regarding my second point the courts are already imbalenced. My proposal would divide the balance of power between the three main classes of citizen.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM.

Messalla rolled his eyes. this sense of mandatory egalitarianism was nothing more than populism by another name. "The Courts should not be balanced. The Senatorial class are the most educated and experienced men in Rome to preside over such proceedings. We are dealing with matters of corruption, the will of the people in determining the composition of such courts is not even determined. Calling something the will of the people does not automatically make it so. Giving treasury officials powers similar to pro-praetors is a ridiculous notion, and not one that I will support."

"While I know that Creticus speaks from good will on this matter, rearranging our entire court system to one that neither this Curia, the People, nor Rome have ever seen could and more than likely would cause consequences that we can not foresee or take into account. This attempt to balance the courts could cause an uproar on both sides in a time where stability should be our primary concern."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast