Thread: Could light hoplites still be upgraded to thureos spears?

Default Could light hoplites still be upgraded to thureos spears?

Playing as Massalia and just triggered the reforms, but can't upgrade my light hoplites to thureos spears. Is this a 1.2 change? Light hoplites are no longer recruitable and thureos spears are available, so is there something that I need to do?

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Could light hoplites still be upgraded to thureos spears?

If the purple tech is available this should be researched in order to allow unit upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe its because so many factions have their own light hoplites, we couldn't make them upgrade. Or maybe that was the peltasts...

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    If the purple tech is available this should be researched in order to allow unit upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always research the purple box near the beginning of the game...

If not a bug, then it's a 1.2 change and wish I had a heads up about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I believe its because so many factions have their own light hoplites, we couldn't make them upgrade. Or maybe that was the peltasts...
    I was able to upgrade the early Iphicratian peltasts to peltasts, so it's not a bug...

Have maintained 12 units of (Massaloi) Ekdromoi Hoplitai since early in the game and now a level 3 barracks, in anticipation of upgrading 'em to Thureophoroi, like in previous campaigns as Pergamon and Syracuse, but it'll be disbandment for reasons of economy. I've used them as assault troops and hoplite/levy hoplite flankers, now seasoned units, many cases getting hammered by Gallics and Iberians, with almost every trooper javelin armed, so was expecting to return the favor.

Any chance of typing up a list of available troop types in 1.2? If I'm not mistaken, in addition to Massalia, the Syracuse faction can't recruit pikemen...
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; October 12, 2017 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Ekdromoi are not part of the upgrade, levy hoplites are, we can look into it.

In 1.2 there is close to 2000 unit in the mod so typing them down might take a bit, just look around the custom battle selection screen, ale non Roman factions should have all units there.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Ekdromoi are not part of the upgrade, levy hoplites are, we can look into it.

In 1.2 there is close to 2000 unit in the mod so typing them down might take a bit, just look around the custom battle selection screen, ale non Roman factions should have all units there.
    Levy hoplites could be upgraded? I'll check later, but didn't notice the option or didn't pay attention, as in previous campaigns, the levies are a dead end? So what could the Massalian Levy Hoplites be upgraded to and what are the requirements?

Didn't think of looking around the custom battle screen...

Can't find an edit button...

I double checked and levy hoplites can't be upgraded, so maybe for another faction?

Its because there are so many versions of them, we couldn't use the upgrade mechanic.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Its because there are so many versions of them, we couldn't use the upgrade mechanic.

No problem...

I once recruited 8 early Iphicratian peltasts, as based on the description they're supposed to function as spearmen with javelins, but being charged by Gallic cavalry, I realized they're just missile infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post

No problem...

I once recruited 8 early Iphicratian peltasts, as based on the description they're supposed to function as spearmen with javelins, but being charged by Gallic cavalry, I realized they're just missile infantry.
    What do you mean by that?
    I have had mine charged quite a few times and I'm loving them. When they're braced they loose like ~25 men (with ultra totaling 175 full) on the charge and a few more in the fight but actually win slightly. Thats w/o precursor javelin damage when the cav comes charging.
    I shouldnt say win. I guess they could loose in a 1v1, but they live the charge fairly well, and do well in the melee following it. I just always back them up as soon as I notice them being in trouble (I value those javelins far too much as a Hoplite killer to let my throwers die)
    - given the cavalry attacks from the front; disable skirmish mode at the start of every battle

IIRC they have charge defense right?