Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus, 82 BCE

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus, 82 BCE

The Consul Sulpicianus arrived for the first time this year within the Curia. He was wearing a sparking toga praetexta and took his seat in one of the Curule Chairs. He looked satisfied despite himself. He returned to Rome and saw immediately that Carbo had confiscated and more or less destroyed some of his complexes in Rome, but they would be rebuilt easily enough. He had many plans for what the next move should be. Pius seemed to be a military man, but he had marshaled a coup in Rome and seized power for himself, and his faction, though few of them had survived. He wondered why the fools had remained in Rome to begin with. He would hurry to meet with Brutus after this session.

-------

A miserable looking Marcus Valerius Messalla entered the Curia, limping. The wound sustained in the first battle of the war had left him permanently hobbled, and the limp would never fully disappear.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Numerias sat in silence, his face seemed gaunt and his eyes hollow. His father had been murdered, murdered by Romans for seeking to protect Rome. Many of the faces in the Curia were different now, too different. He noticed Cotta's face among them and gave a weak nod, he'd been a good friend to his father - or so he'd come to understand.

Please review the updated EVENTS tab in the OP.

At length Messalla stood. "I wish to keep my proposal short, for it should not require much debate." He began "The men who filled the ranks of Sulla's Asian legions are due their parol and pension. I propose that we acquiesce to their requests to give each man a plot of several hectares in Campania and southern Italy to hold in perpetuity."

"Patres et conscripti"

Addressed the consul to the body of the Senate.

"The war is far from done, but Rome and Italy had been fred of the tyrannical and despotic influence of Cinna and Carbo. Peace has been restored in the peninsula, albeit not without a cost"

He speaks calmly.

"To open this session I hereby propose Carbo and his lackeys to be proscribed and their wealth seized for the Res Publica, refilling our coffers. They shall be considered enemies of the Res Publica and the People of Rome and their property forfeited, all of them shall suffer punishment for their wrongdoings"

He looks to his fellow senators.

"I also propose a good share of the lands hereby seized are given to those brave and virtuous legionaries, once commanded by Sulla, then by myself quite recently, so they can settle in our fair Italy and prosper, right as they should"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Messalla stamped his feet to signal his approval at the Consul's words, which seemed to echo his own.

----

Sulpicianus stood "Many have died, both in Rome and on the various fields of battle of the Republic." he said lugubriously "I think it is right to call them heroes. I will name them now: Gnaeus Caecilianus, Octavius Iulus, Gaius Hybrida, and especially Titus Pinarius Rusca, whose actions delayed Carbo's southern advance. These men are but a few of our fallen, but their sacrifice was not in vain. Gaius Norbanus lays slain upon the battlefield. I move that his memory be damned and half his estate confiscated to pay reparations to families devastated by Carbo's depredations. I therefore second Metellus' proposal.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Iulus stood. He was grieved that the youngest and kindest if his sons had been butchered by Carbo, and a burning fire had arisen in him, the desire to follow the Tyrant to Spain had consumed him. His voice boomed out.

"I will make no comment upon compensation, for my own son's name graces that list and it would be nothing but greed if I took stance on it, but I will say this:

Let the blood of the Marians flow and let their gold revitalise our crippled treasury. Proscribe them all! "

Cotta stamped his feet at Sulpicianus' words. Good men died in Rome. Even if he didn't like a few of them, they died with convictions.

"Then let us vote on all of these issues of import at once. Messalla brings up a fair point regarding Sulla's legions, and Metellus has seconded it."

Senatus Consultum Restitutia

• Legio VII, VIII, and IX shall be settled in Campania and southern Italy in rich lands of 20 hectares each.
    • Gaius Norbanus' memory shall be damned. Half of his property shall be confiscated by the state.
    • Gnaeus Papirius Carbo, as hostus, has forfeited all his property. It shall eschew to the state.
    • Quintus Sertorius is declared a hostus. He has forfeited all his property and it shall eschew to the state.

Sulpicianus then called for the house to divide, and he himself moved to the right of the chamber to signal his support. Messalla did likewise, albeit slowly.

"There are far more culprits in this! Cinna and Asiagenes, along with Marius are complicit!"

"Cinna and Marius are long dead." Messalla replied, annoyed that he would have to vote for the whole law in order to achieve what he had promised the people. "Let the policy work as an agent of fear for those still under arms and nothing more."

"Cinna has kin, and Marius a son who took as much part as he. Our coffers are empty, refill them from all of the Marians' estates."

"So you would have us kill sons for the sins of their fathers?" It was a precedent not yet set in this spiraling decline of decency. "I will not hear of it, by Jupiter's cock have we sunk so low as that? Why, next year Sertorius could be knocking on Rome's door with twelve legions and what then, must whole families be exterminated in this never ending blood feud?"

Iulus agreed somewhat grudgingly.

"It is perhaps rash to persecute the kin of Cinna then, however, Marius the Younger was digs of his father and Cinna, he is as guilty as the rest."

"How will you vote, Iulus?" Sulpicianus asked with a coy smile, redirecting the attention to the matter at hand.

Iulus glanced at Sulpicianus with a hint of irritation, guessing what he was doing, but he quietly move towards the side of the room supporting the motion.

Pius voted in favour of the motion, of course.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Mergus moves to the right.

"Then the motion is carried." Gaius said happily "Now, what other business have we to conduct?"

"Constitutional reforms"

Iulus stated somewhat dully, though he cared little for what was proposed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast