Thread: Another new development worth posting about separately..

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Another new development worth posting about separately..

[QUOTE=Genghis Skahn]Dear IBII mod team,

Hi Genghis Skahn. Thank you very much for your hard work. All the inputs from the fans of IB2FD are appreciated. We will certainly look at your work and use what we can. This will help us get to the finish line with IB2FD.

midnite

I will not post anything else until the IB2 team sees it first. Please send your thanks to Genghis Skahn.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Another new development worth posting about separately..

I'm confused...

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    I'm confused...
    I did not list what Genghis Skahn has contributed yet. I want Riothamus to see it first. It will definitely help the mod.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    I did not list what Genghis Skahn has contributed yet. I want Riothamus to see it first. It will definitely help the mod.
    Righto...

midnite's Avatar Citizen

and here is the new development --

Dear IBII mod team,

Long time fan here, first time communicator with the modders. Having played the IBII Brittania mod, and some of IBI's Somnium Apostate Julianus(but unfortunately not for long due to many game crashes), I have to give my thanks to your team for making such great mods for such an interesting time period.

My one big criticism I could levy at the IBII Brittania mod after playing as the Mhumhain/Munster faction(some 1-2 years ago now, things could be different now) was a lack of traits during my campaign.

I may be able to offer IBII the smallest amount of assistance via offering some of my previously completed work, if you will accept it. Given the time period of this mod, with such factions as the Huns, Irish and many different "barbarian" Germanics, I think that my generic Raiding traits system currently used in EBII(and fully functional) could also possibly be used in all of your IBII mods. The details of the system and all the code necessary for copy-pasting it into your mod can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6#post15421116

Simply replace the appropriate culture types and factions listed in the triggers, alongside EBII-specific traits like NaturalEnergy and Supervisor with IBII/vanilla specific traits which you find suitable, and voila! You now have a raiding trait system for IBII which primarily focuses on the GeneralDevastatesTile(with a bit of SackSettlement thrown in there too) EDA/EDCT event--if you so desire to incorporate it into your mod.

Such an addition is not much to offer, I realize, but if it can aid the IBII team and improve IBII's campaign experience in even the smallest way, then I will be satisfied.

I would be delighted if you accepted my proposition, but if you feel such traits do not fit with IBII then by all means, feel free to reject my offer.

I wish you all the best in your current and future modding efforts, and look forward to IBII:Flagellum Dei's release in the future .

All the best,

Universal Skhan

------------

please thank him for his help in getting this mod to the finish line.
    Last edited by midnite; October 10, 2017 at 09:41 AM.

Gengis, thanks really for your collaboration, step by step we'll bring this mod to life .... It waited a long time, maybe he is a bit late, but he will come at the end

Hey, I was thinking, what if you dedicate some of your spare time to create tailored traits for IBII? (or to a greater extent, continue to share the EBII systems into IBII too, then we adapt an modify)...

of course, no obligation, just feel free

For the forseeable future I can only remain an EBII member, my mother-mod team.

I am happy to lend some of my previously created work, ideas or etc. to other mods such as IBII though.

Take this tutorial for example:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-capture-trait

While the IBII team is possibly aware of such a mechanism, you can now easily copy-paste and modify this trait, trigger and description at your leisure by using the code provided in the post. Certainly, such conquest traits could easily work for "barbarians" who capture Rome or Constantinople(eg. Rome Sacked, Constantinople Sacked). These kinds of traits are nice because they are simple and effective, and only require a basic level of EDCT knowledge. The tutorial covers pretty much everything you need to know.

On a completely different note, perhaps this old Gaelic dictionary can be useful to you guys in making Irish-specific traits/trait names?

https://www.scribd.com/doc/137806778...lic-Dictionary

In fact, the guy who uploaded that list seems to have a whole wealth of historical info, some of which is related to IBII's time frame.

https://www.scribd.com/user/134081368/moerbeiboom

Take this book he took the liberty of uploading for free on scribd:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1378...orman-Invesion

It has info on IBII's time period as well. Interesting stuff.

Do note!!! I am not a historian, so some of the info I just posted may prove incorrect or unsuitable for IBII. Errors are to be expected.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; October 09, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Ok, many thanks Gengis. So fine, from time to time, when you have some resources to share, just let us know.
    Hopefully soon, we'll start taking care of traits and ancs.

Interesting the historical notes too, we definitively foresee specific, factional traits for each faction in-game, sure!
    Me too, not a historian (apart my beloved Rome), but there is always time to study and learn.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Thank you Genkhis Skahn,

Talking about different fonts. Currently, we are on the lookout for the Persian font containing letters such as š, ā and ū among others. We need them for Sassanian faction.

If you, by any chance, know where we can find it we would very much appreciate the info.

Hmmm, I am not sure I can help with the fonts. I can caution you that sometimes weird letters like that cause game issues. The VNVS, ancillaries.txt and EDU can sometimes display those oddly, but character and place names seem to work fine. We use some pretty weird characters ourselves in EBII.

This seems to be a MUCH more reliable source for old irish words, with lots of grammatical information as well. The only issue is...It seems to alternate between allowing me full access and then locking me out in preview mode, which the book then becomes useless.

https://www.scribd.com/document/1263...r-of-Old-Irish

Some words from it which could be useful as traits for FD's and CBs Gaelic factions:

mál (poetic form, I think): Prince; possible FH trait. orbam , earlier -em, 'heir' might be a better choice, which is probably cognate with a few Gaulish words such as Orbios, the current FH trait name and title for our Celtic factions in EBII. Comarpe also means 'heir, successor'.

toísech: Leader(possible FL trait--Might be more specific than Ri, because it's Gaulish cognate Rix can have a rather broad meaning. Certainly Ard Ri would make the most sense once he controls all of Ireland/Teamhaidh, but not before that.). flaithem also means 'prince' or 'ruler' as does Coimsid ('ruler)'.

(tovisaci, genitive), from Proto-Celtic *towissākos (“leader”) (compare Welsh tywysog (“prince”)), from either Proto-Indo-European *wedʰ- (“lead”) or Proto-Indo-European *weyd- (“know, see”).

cing(gen. cinged): Hero; this one would be easy to implement, something like this(random EB2 example):

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger CelticBattleMad3
      WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WonBattle
            and BattleSuccess > clear                                  ;heroic victory requirement
            and  PercentageEnemyKilled > 45
            and PercentageBodyguardKilled > 40
            and not FactionType f_arevaci
            and not FactionType f_lusotannan
            and Trait Celtic > 0
            and Trait Coward < 1
            and Trait BattleMad < 3
            and Trait Haemophobic < 1
            and Trait NaturalEnergy > 2

Affects BattleMad  10  Chance  75
      Affects BattleMad  5  Chance  100
      Affects BattleMad  15  Chance  10
    So after winning a great heroic victory he could become a cing(hero). I believe the Gaulish cognate here is Cingetos(Kingetos in EBII due to the Greek Alphabet), which means warrior and possibly hero(or so it's said in the source posted above). The OI term definitely doesn't mean just warrior though, unlike the Gaulish cognate.

druí(gen. Druad, pl. Druid): (if pagan) a druid/wizard. I recently made CelticDruid trait for EBII (the Gaulish cognate is Druidae). Could be both a trait and ancillary.

Cruimther: priest, I am not sure if this refers to christian priests only. An ancillary idea?

Brithem (cognate with modern Irish breitheamh and Scots Gaelic britheamh according to wiktionary): Judge. Not sure if a trait or an ancillary would be best here; could be both.

énirte: Weakness, could be a sickness trait or a trait related to cowardice?? ecal would be 'timid, or afraid', however.

flaithemnacht/flaith: lordship; word for singular lord is flaithem. Another option is Coimdiu, a derivation of that word also refers to God, as in The Lord, I think. So I am not sure which option is more suitable.

1. The usual suffix is -acht (after palatal consonants -echt), which forms fem. ā-stems. It corresponds to Britann. -aith, W. -aeth. Examples: noídiu, gen. noíden, 'child': noídenacht 'childhood'; día'God': deacht: doíni (pl.) 'men': doínecht and doínacht: techtaire 'mesenger': techtairent 'mission,message': fili, gen. filed, 'poet': filedacht; forcitlaid 'teacher': forcitlaidecht; brithem, gen. brithemon,'judge': brithemnacht; flaithem (beside flaith) 'lord': flaithemnacht. With extension of -mnacht from theforegoing: coimdiu, gen. coimded, 'lord': coimdemnacht
    fili, gen. filed or simply 'bard': 'poet' or bard, pretty self explanatory, can also double as an ancillary. The proto-Celtic and Gaulish word is Bardos, which is what's being used in EBII right now.

Sample:
    Code:
    ;Trait: Bardos                    ;Corrected name to actual Gaulish, 2017 Skhan
    ; o Bardos (6):  <Influence>  1

Trait Bardos
        Characters family
        ExcludeCultures cul_2, cul_1, cul_4, cul_7, cul_3, cul_6

Level Bardos
            Description Bardos_desc
            EffectsDescription Bardos_effects_desc
            GainMessage Bardos_gain_desc
            Threshold  2

Effect Piety  1
    Sample trigger(uses many EBII specific conditions):

Code:
    Trigger Celtic_becomes_Bardos
      WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition    Trait Celtic > 0
            and not FactionType f_arevaci
            and not FactionType f_lusotannan
            and TimeInRegion > 2
            and RemainingMPPercentage > 85
            and SettlementBuildingExists > market_two
            and Trait NaturalCharisma > 2
            and Trait NaturalIntelligence > 2
            and Trait Ignorance < 1
            and Trait BadPoet < 1

Affects Bardos  1  Chance  8
    fichid: fights, could possibly used be used like a HatesX trait like in RTW? Though properly conjugating it would probably take someone experienced, otherwise it could be disastrous. Náimtea is the accusative form of 'enemies' so maybe Fichid Náimtea? Although that may be WAY too broad of a meaning AND be grammatically incorrect!!

a-nno·n-derbid: 'when ye prove'; could possibly be a trait name for an unproven youth? I am not sure if that would be the wrong context to use such a phraise, however--at best it could be taking a poetic liberty, at worst it would just be wrong. In EBII we have the new CelticKingetos trait coming up for 2.3, a warrior training system, but since we only know so much about Gaulish we just use the words "Unproven Kingetos" to describe an unproven warrior. foss which means 'youth, servant' is another perhaps better possibility, but since it also means servant it might not be very fitting for a noble character(which is all your FMs). óclachas means 'youth' without the servant part, which is more suitable. The genitive form of that is óclachsa, oac óac or just óac means 'young, young man'. That could segway into láech/loich/loech(there should be an accented o for the last word) which means warrior.

n between other consonants also; e.g. scríbdid beside scríbndid 'scribe', from scríbend 'writing';
    A scribe; fairly self explanatory. For those learned chaps. Could double as an ancillary or a trait?

áildiu instead of *áilndiu, compar. of álind 'beautiful'
    Also sochrud 'beautiful': sochraide(adjective form, I think). Also self-explanatory.

Here are some decent words:
    Examples: námit 'enemies', acc. Náimtea for * námeta ; cássath césad 'suffering', gen. césto for *Céssatho ,arch. coicsath , later coicsed 'com-passio'; dligeth dliged 'law', dligthech 'lawful'; díles 'own',
    Dílse 'ownership'; follus 'clear', nom. pl. foilsi, foilsigidir 'makes clear'; tomus (to-mess) 'measure', gen.toimseo ; frecr(a)e 'answer' for * frecare (frith-gaire) ; apstal 'apostolus'; ad-cïat 'they see', prototonic ·accat ;toimtiu 'opinion' (*to-métiu ), but airmitiu 'honouring' (*are-métiu)
    Dligthech: Lawful, provides a law bonus--an opposite trait could be táith táid 'thief' like a cattle thief or etc., or gat 'theft': gataige 'thief', Or táid 'thief'. It's easy for us to do such traits in EBII due to our stats system, but it may be more complicated for IBII.

ét, dat. éut, gen. éuit éoit: 'jealousy', easy to do in EBII due to our stats system, but it may be more difficult for IBII. Fairly self-explanatory trait idea--could give influence maluses and personal security maluses, or whatever, a negative trait

cenéle: 'kind', again fairly easy to do in EBII due to our stats system, but may be more difficult for IBII. Fairly explanatory trait idea, covered by EBII's Lenient/Generous traits, which give pop growth(but it comes at the character's own personal cost).

In airchinnech: 'princeps', I'm sure the IBII team is familiar with the word princeps. It could be for a great warrior or an influential character, since it means foremost and etc. etc.

ilach: 'paean', an ancillary idea. For those who don't know, a paean is a singer which accompanies an army in battle. In the Hellenic world, paeans and other musicians were used to keep troops marching in time AFAIK.

allaid or bíast(biast is not from the above source but allaid is referenced there): wild or savage, for a bloodthirsty character maybe, just add a GeneralFoughtInCombat and set a high PercentageEnemyKilled #.

There is also this older, but still credible book(AFAIK):

https://ia802607.us.archive.org/10/items/conciseoldirishg01pokouoft/conciseoldirishg01pokouoft.pdf

Less reliable/incomplete sources

http://deenes.ffzg.hr/~rmatasov/irish.html

This book is incomplete BUT you can search for words inside of it, thankfully.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Pjs...lume&q=warrior

1/2
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; October 10, 2017 at 06:07 PM.

Heh, and my apologies to your Irish historian if you still have one for butting in. I really enjoyed my time playing the IBII CB mod as Munster/Mumhain.

Onto more useful matters:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trait HillBilly
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Outdoors
            Description Hidden_desc
            EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc
            Threshold  1

Level Hill_Billy
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  20

Level Dick_Proenneke
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  40

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trait CitySlicker
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Indoors
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  1

Level City_Slicker
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  20

Level Bohemian
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  40
    Hah! Man, TWC really doesn't want me to post the trait triggers here!! I keep getting my access cut off due to 'security reasons' over posting some trait code. Unbelievable! Haha! Oh wow, no matter what I try TWC does not want these triggers posted. Embarrassing.

Essentially, these are supposed to be hidden tracking traits used to determine a young character's lifestyle. CitySlickers are more apt at governance, while HillBillies are more apt at command--the utility in these traits come from being able to track time spent outside(HillBilly) or inside(CitySlicker) a settlement. In EBII they're used for the Sweboz and Baktrians as conditions in triggers relating to life style choices(eg. a character with high CitySlicker can't be a Horochares, a frontier dweller, as Baktria; likewise, a high in HillBilly character can't devote his life to Numismatics or developing irrigation projects).

Hidden descriptions; these don't matter since they're hidden traits, they just need to be in the vnvs for the traits to work.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

¬---------------

{Outdoors} Outside

¬---------------

{Hill_Billy} Hillbilly

¬---------------

{Dick_Proenneke} Alone

¬---------------

{Indoors} Inside

¬---------------

{City_Slicker} Two

¬---------------

{Bohemian} Rhapsody

¬---------------

Code:
    Trigger CitySlicker
      WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition FactionType f_sweboz
            and RemainingMPPercentage > 85

Affects CitySlicker  1  Chance  100

Trigger HillBilly
      WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition FactionType f_sweboz
            and not EndedInSettlement

Affects HillBilly  1  Chance  100

FINALLY! TWC lets me post them after reducing the condition #, for some god-awful reason...Unfortunately, these are incomplete triggers, I had much more conditions than just these two, but you get the general idea here. Not ending your turn inside a settlement triggers HillBilly and ending your turn inside a settlement triggers CitySlicker. The end result here is that you can actually track a character's life style choices over time with these traits, rather than relying on the resettable TimeInRegion condition. I realize it's not much to add to IBII but it can reduce trait condition #s and add more nuance to your trigger systems. Hopefully this was helpful

2/2
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; October 10, 2017 at 06:01 PM.

Ok, thanks Gengis (it's similar to the field-deployed, governor, I was used to use)... I know how EBII traits are done, already examined time ago

Btw, ok I'll take inspiration and bring some tailored changes to IBII...
    Thanks, your postings are very useful!

Good!

Ok, thanks Gengis (it's similar to the field-deployed, governor, I was used to use)... I know how EBII traits are done, already examined time ago
    Be sure to take a peak at the upcoming 2.3's EDCT/EDA...I have my best work yet in there.

Our stats trait system is a whole wad of code(any stat system is), and I don't know if IBII has one or plans to have one, I obviously can't share that here since it predates my joining the team and is EB1/2 specific. If you haven't thought up anything there's always https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fi...onality_traits

That's a wikipedia article, but the Big 5 personality traits is a huge concept in personality psychology. Take the test, if you like https://www.123test.com/personality-test/

Strangely enough, the Big 5(called OCEAN for short) correspond roughly to EBII's stat system, despite the big 5 not being a part of it's original concepting. I roughly equate Natural Intelligence with Openness, NaturalCharisma with Extraversion, NaturalEnergy with Conscientiousness, Temperament with Neuroticism, and Selflessness with Agreeableness. It's very surprising how well our stat system has convergently evolved with the OCEAN big 5 personality traits. If you did end up using a system like that, nobody could fault you for it since it's a scientific concept that's up for grabs and not really belonging to any specific modders. The downside is any stat system like that requires a mountain of EDCT code! Wish I could help you guys out there!
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; October 10, 2017 at 08:19 PM.

Ok, great articles you posted... Sure, we will take inspiration from those too and implement new specific traits for IBII (all in all, it will be a different system to the one of EBII; I know you guys followed a particular mechanics for the mod)

Keep posting when you can, it's always good to read related articles.

P.S.
    Hence, team, soon someone should start with the new traits, to merge on top of the existing ones (the EDB buildings, are, I'd say, a good reference point to create specific traits and respect the late-roman timeframe)
    (I'll add a couple of mines too, later on, together with ancillaries)...