Thread: Chrome White Flash (when loading new pages and tabs)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Chrome White Flash (when loading new pages and tabs)

Hi forum,

This is more of a rant than anything else. I've long preferred Chrome and Chromium-based web browsers over the alternatives like Firefox. Mostly this is due to the lightweight feel, ease of use, library of extensions and some specific features. For example, I'm using Yandex Browser lately, which has the feature of taking me back to the top of the page simply by clicking on the top part of the tab (i.e. no more scrolling back up when I need to get right to the top to navigate to another page).

There's a problem with Chrome and all Chromium-based browsers, though, and it's a problem that's been widely reported for years but for some reason it's never been fixed.

The problem is that when a new tab is loaded and then switched to (no matter how long after it is loaded), or when a different website is navigated to in the active tab, a super bright white flash occurs, which is especially noticeable if you're navigating to and from sites or pages which have a non-white background (and also if one is using an app which inverts colours, like Hacker Vision). Chrome's default page background colour is white, hence when a new tab/page is loading, white appears breifly before the actual background from the destination site is loaded, and after the (usually non-white) original site background is taken away. The result is a white, strobe-like flash which lasts a fraction of a second and is super annoying.

I've tried a few fixes and hacks, but they either haven't worked, aren't compatible with Yandex, or I haven't implemented them properly due to having no idea what I'm really doing, so for now I'm stuck with the manual solution of closing my eyes every time I switch to a new tab, in order to not burn my eyes out.

The worst part is that Chromium devs have known about this problem since 2008. There is an active thread on the subject, but for some reason what should be a relatively simply problem has never been fixed. Firefox, amongst other browsers, has a grey-ish default background, so it doesn't have this problem at all. I mean, how hard can it be to change #000000 to #ffffff?

[/rant]
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Chrome White Flash (when loading new pages and tabs)

I use Opera and have noticed this as well however i'm used to it at this point. As far scrolling up and down why don't you just use the Home/End keys?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Good point, but this way I don't even have to take my hand off the mouse.

I think I just ignored the flashes for a long time, but lately they've been bothering me more, I guess.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Steam overlay (chromium core) has been able to change things well enough to make it a black background. I don't see why grey wouldn't work by default. I tend to look away in time for a flash; my net speed is slow enough that it's a reliable constant, as the page simply doesn't come down the pipeline fast enough for instant rendering.