Thread: Skaven Food Mechanic

Default Skaven Food Mechanic

I'm having trouble with it. I'm always in the red with the negative effects. It seems that between my cities and armies I can't create enough food from buildings or fighting to sustain a high food level. Any tips? Is there something about sacrificing captives? (Haven't seen that option except for after battles where you can get 2 food.)

Default Re: Skaven Food Mechanic

Skrolk is easy, Queek is hard, based on initial access to settlements with the "pasture" resource, letting you construct the food producing building (and Skrolk's starting building actually gives flat food).

As for straight up tips; focus on getting those pasture settlements. For Skrolk they are easily found, Queek's two closest are far north and north-east along the coast.

Raiding with an army yields three food, for a net gain of two food since one army costs one food. Combine with the province edict if needed.

Sending an army on a sacking rampage into lands you do not wish to hold yet is one of the better options. A straight up abusive way is to take one of your own solitary settlements and continuously raid it in order to generate rebellions (yet had to resort to this myself).

Sadly, the final tip is to be very, very sparing in your use of spending food to upgrade captured settlements to higher tiers. 20 or 40 food is a massive hit early on since the food scale is based on your total possible food (starting at 100). Once you have taken a dozen or so settlements, your maximum food stockpile is much larger (5 per settlement iirc), allowing you to spend food without moving down from the highest food bonus tier.

As an aside, the negative effect for having no food is actually not that punishing, at least not relative to having a massive income and stable of armies. Easily brought back up for a period of growth (everyone raiding after some blitz sackings or whatnot).

Gosh I like wh2, every faction plays so differently.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee