Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Combat 2.0 (Ultimate Edition)

Default Real Combat 2.0 (Ultimate Edition)

Greetings,

The battlefield section will be completed by end of the day tomorrow. Then I need to update some of the background screens, which are all there, but some are now superfluous. After that, a little on the Early and High era campaigns, which should take a day or two. Finally, some small changes to the treasury costs incurred by nobles/generals in BGRIV, and it is done. Hopefully I can have an installer done by the end of this week.

It will happen!

Subsequent work:
    -some additional late-era models and weapons by jurcek1987, to include (for most Western and Eastern factions) a mounted knight/man-at-arms wielding either a mace or warhammer, a foot version of same, another version armed with a polearm such as a halberd or poleaxe, and one armed with an Estoc (a type of 2H sword without sharp edges and designed for thrusting into the weak points of an enemy's armor). These would be attired in full plate, upgradeable to Italian White/German Gothic/English Greenwich-type armors depending on geographical area. I am not well-versed in armor developments in Russia and Muslim areas so any assistance would be great
    -a 1370 Late Era campaign
    -an additional faction, perhaps Georgia for the Early and High campaigns, and Burgundy for Late

Default Re: Real Combat 2.0 (Ultimate Edition)

Thanks for all of the hard work, Point Blank! I am really looking forward to playing this!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Status: battlefield section complete, working on background screens.

Here is a great video featuring some nice Late Era combat using the old RC that came with SS6.4
    https://youtu.be/k2u0LW7t7dI

You can find plenty more by searching for 'stainless steel online battle' on Youtube.

Also, please take a look at this, I will likely build it in to the release (which already uses SweetFX but this looks fantastic)
    https://youtu.be/LsM9mU9SsIY

Sorry been absent a little, been unwell.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Hey PB,

I am glad that you are almost done with RC 2.0. I am awaiting the release with bated breath. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. Speaking of the release, I have just re-uploaded my Historical Battle/Situation Mini Mod. If you think it adds value, you can add it to the release.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ttles-Mini-mod

Definitely, many thanks!

Still not well, looking forward to trying ASAP
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 15, 2017 at 08:58 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Definitely, many thanks!
    Still not well, looking forward to trying ASAP
    Hi PB, I've got a question: how do you plan the compatibility of the RC2.0 with the other (sub)mods. There're many of them: for the Broken Crescent there's Buff and Shine, for the SS there're SSHIP, Titanium, HURB, BftB. How the 2.0 will be playable - only with SS6.4, or maybe somehow different?
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Well, all those mods make some alterations to the combat system, ie the EDU, projectiles files, mounts, walls etc.

To go through those and use all of RC would be a lot of work, because they are all interlinked, and other developers may not agree with how I have implemented and represented some things. However, certainly aspects could be used without a great deal of alteration, such all the altered and new animations - every weapon type now has a customized animation set. By weapon type I mean 1H cutting, 1H thrust, 1H cut and thrust, 2H piercing, mace/warhammer etc, a very large number including altered projectile anims that closely mimic historical rates of fire, new mount anims etc.

I will put up a list of changes, there are many.

As far as working with SS6.4, it uses it as a base but the download will just include the entire directory so it can be used as a standalone, because there are multiple changes to the recruitment system, graphics, new units etc.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

About animations, have you implemented the bowstring animations for the archers (and its equivalence for the crossbowmen)?
    ... And keep the good job up
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

No, I haven't. I don't mind doing so, but seems the number of models with the bowstring added is limited.

Blog Entries

Well, the main "problem" is that you'll need to add a bone for the relevant meshes (or use an existing skeleton using that animation already which save a bit of time), update the meshes as well, make textures for the arrow or bolt in place on the weapon and then update accordingly all concerned units in the BMDB. I also found out that some animations have a strange behaviour with it, like the death animation for crossbowmen (I still need to look at it actually). A bit of work as you can see

To answer to your question, with the above and in therory, you can upgrade all missile units (with time and patience)
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

So.. uh, is this done?
    SIT VIS VOBISCUM

Artifex

I'm really looking forward to RC 2.0.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

As some of you might remember, there have been many reasons why I have not yet completed this project - health, financial, personal, as well as losing the laptop that had most of the work done on the updated files, and frankly the prospect of having to re-do them was daunting because the volume of work was significant. I have also been so short of cash that I have not even been able to afford a new PC to continue things, though I have been able to finish the purely combat files on a friend's machine.

The good news is, while around at my ex-wife's place getting some of my things, I found the lost laptop hidden away! It does not start, but I took it in to a technician and have a new chipset on order, which will arrive late next week. Assuming the hard drive is ok, and it should be, I will be able to integrate the new combat files with the other RC2.0 stuff there. It will be sooo good to have a computer again, it has been a long time.

There was an issue with one of the campaigns not starting, and I want to add in a couple of new graphical sub-mods as well, but it should not be too long before I can finally do a release.

It has been one of my fondest wishes to do so for a long time

Following that there is more content I would like to add, such as another faction (there is a free slot I think), some new units if room can be found, a proper Late Era campaign starting in 1370 and some updates to the recruitment system etc.
    Last edited by Point Blank; February 02, 2018 at 07:51 AM.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Point Blank,

I don't know what to say other than well done and top marks for perseverance, you have had more than enough to deal with.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi PB,
    As I understand this will be a submod compatible with the SS6.4 (but not with the submods, like HURB, SSHIP, Titanium)?
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi PB,
    As I understand this will be a submod compatible with the SS6.4 (but not with the submods, like HURB, SSHIP, Titanium)?
    JoC
    Yes it is stand-alone, well the RR aspects etc
    The RC system can be applied in any mod, though it is a lot of manual work because the files related to combat have many inter-relations. Things like the new animations though could be applied to any mod fairly easily. They are now specific to weapon type, some examples:
    1H thrusting
    1H cutting
    1H cut-and-thrust
    1H axes
    2H versions of same for swords, polearms, clubs, axes
    1H and 2H percussive weapons such as hammers and maces
    New mount animation sets for mounts classified as Lancers, Chargers or Brawlers
    Updated loading anims for archers such that better quality ones shoot more quickly
    Some re-working of how 'Aggressive' anims work, ie those units are less concerned with unit cohesion and will push forward vigorously - used by Sword and Buckler Men plus other anti-pike units, fanatical units, barbarian infantry etc.

Aside from that and implementing the fine stat details, some of the other facets such as the updated treatment of cavalry vs infantry morale effects, heat, and the mount classifications above could also be easily implemented.

I will try to get a more complete list of changes done shortly, it is quite extensive.

Blog Entries

I look forward for that stuff. Keep it up PB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast