Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Domus Messalla

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Domus Messalla

"I would wish it so." he countered. "Yet if you think an other course should be taken do say so Manius." Pulcher suspected there was more to the question than Manius let on about.

"Well, I do not know much of Gallic matters." He said "We are close to civil strife in Romeon levels we have seen in the past, or worse. There seems to be no way to stop things from going they way it is going. I've thought of getting our of Rome for some time. Perhaps I should come to Gaul."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Pulcher smiled. "I'd be glad to have you with me." Perhaps an other war was in order? One must stay occupied Pulcher thought while he sipped his cup dry.
    "Let us hope the election brings no trouble. Then we can be on our way" he concluded.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Marcus Flaminius Rufus, the elected Aedile, arrived to Mesalla's to discuss with him the matter of the public games to be held to celebrate his triumph.

He found Marcus in the atrium, with a backlog of clients to greet. The aedile was given priority as an elected magistrate however, and brought to the front of the line. "Greetings, Aedile. I cannot say that your name is familiar to me. My apologies, I have been outside of Rome for many years."

Rufus nodded and said

"I take no offence, Messalla. This is my first magistracy, actually. If all goes well, you'll be hearing my name often." He smiled, somewhat proudly. "I've come to tell you about my plans for the games that will accompany your triumph."

"A diligent aedile then, you are off to a good start." he said with a chuckle. "Very well, continue."

Rufus could get used to the compliments. He nodded again and said:

"I was thinking of a fairly typical set up, starting with some venationes, afterwards we would have some nice executions. I don't know if you have brought any worthy prisoners from your campaign, Messalla, but if you have, that would be perfect.
    And the final and most important thing is going to be the representation of one of your battles, which I need you to select one to be reenacted."

He paused for a second

"I am able to personally contribute 5,000 denarii for these games. It saddens me to say that it is all I've got at the moment. If you wanted, however, I could ask in the Senate for more funding, but I am not sure that would be the best idea."

"very well." Messalla replied "And forget the Senate on this account, there will be no need to require public funds for these games. I will contribute 10,000 denarii to your efforts, to use at your discretion. We did fight in several large battles, though maybe the battle for Nicomedia might be the best representation. It was a stunning victory, but one that was won at great cost."

"I will make sure the spectacle is worthy of the ocasion. It is not every year we have a triumph." Rufus cared little about honoring Messalla's actions, but he did want to make a good impression on the people and the Senate.

"Now I leave you to your clients, as I must start preparing the games."

"Very well Rufus." The old war horse said with good humor. "Do not disappoint me."

Messalla receives a kind invitation to the Domus Publica.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Lucullus arrives to see his old friend, Messala.

Lucullus is led inside to where Marcus was sitting, with wine ready for his guest. He did not rise when the man entered the room. "Lucullus, please join me." He said raspily

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The Consul Mettius Pinarrius Rusca arrives to speak with Messalla. His former commander and he had ended up in opposite side of the political spectrum, but he still hoped to find an ally against Pius's blatant grab for power.

Rusca is likewise led in and greeted by Marcus

"Salve Messalla, it is troubling times you return to Rome." He says greeting the man quickly before continuing. "Political violence counties today I myself was attacked on the way to the Curia by a score of Ruffians, and Pius." He pauses taking a breath. "The insufferable man seems to want to name himself king. Ending a term early because he could not pass his bill. The man is using power for nothing more than selfish greed."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

"Messala, my good friend. It is a delight to see you returned from Asia unharmed."

Lucius smiled, accepting the wine and drinking.

"Rome has gone to Tartarus while you were away."

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "Salve Messalla, it is troubling times you return to Rome." He says greeting the man quickly before continuing. "Political violence counties today I myself was attacked on the way to the Curia by a score of Ruffians, and Pius." He pauses taking a breath. "The insufferable man seems to want to name himself king. Ending a term early because he could not pass his bill. The man is using power for nothing more than selfish greed."
    Messalla blinked confusedly. "Are you accusing Metellus of fomenting this act of violence against you?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "Messala, my good friend. It is a delight to see you returned from Asia unharmed."

Lucius smiled, accepting the wine and drinking.

"Rome has gone to Tartarus while you were away."
    He sighed, massaging his leg. "I viewed events from afar, but even from Asia it was apparent to me that the violence has reached unprecedented levels. There are new forces at play here, not legions marching in streets, but violent mobs."

Rusca nods sadly.

"Metullus wants me out of the Senate for a day so he could get his fool bill voted on without my opposition. Then the next day I am attacked on my way to the senate. I have taken measures to protect myself for the time being, but it is clear that Metullus is working to undermine my authority."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast