Thread: Domus Messalla

Default Domus Messalla

Valeri Messallae

Marcus Valerius Messalla
    Patrician, married to Ruscallina
    Ranks: Paterfamilias, Senator
    Economic Branch: Agriculture
    Current Office: n/a
    Traits: Wealth +3, Battle +3, Survival +1, +2 Auctoritas, +6 permanent votes (Tier II complete + Priesthood) for a total of (+6)

Marcus Valerius Messalla was a latecomer to the political scene in Rome. He was elected as Quaestor in 97 BCE when he entered the Senate officially. He stood for Curule Aedile in 89 BCE where his administration of the food supplies was adequate. His timing for holdings these offices coincide with his strict adherence to the traditions laid out in the cursus honorum. He did not run for Praetor upon turning 39, as he was not in Rome. Messalla had opted to enlist in Sulla's war against Mithridates, eventually becoming one of his junior generals. Once again, his service was adequate. He served well and prominently as legatus legionis of the 7th Legion. He was elected Praetor in 81 BCE.

Manius Valerius Messalla
    Ranks: Homo novus
    Current Office: N/a
    Traits: +3 wealth, +2 Battles, +2 permanent votes.
    Widower to Servilia
    Children: Messalina

Manius has finished his formal schooling and as such will begin his political career with lower level magistracies and posts. Manius has been somewhat insulated from the political intrigues of the age, and as he eyes military service as a means to advance his own career, he may soon take action to see his dreams become a reality. After all, Gaeus Pompeius had raised his own legions and was now marching south to join Sulla's own forces. Perhaps he should follow the example of a man only some years older than him. He must also soon take a wife. He served as Tribunus Laticlavius and Praefectus Equituum in the Sertorian Wars.

Messallina Maior
    Traits: +1 Survival

The eldest daughter of Marcus Valerius

Fulmia
    Deceased wife of Valerius, died in child birth in 91 BCE.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 15, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: Domus Messallae

Cursus Honorum Information
    Blue = completed step
    Green = Current tep
    Red = Skipped step

Marcus Valerius Messalla

Tier I
    Class A: Be elected as Aedile or Military Quaestor
    Class B: Patronage (Can be from the same family)
    Class C: Military service/tribunus militum (optional)
    Bonus: Gain the rank of Senator, +1 votes for this character, +2 if Class C completed)

Tier II
    Class A: Be elected Consul
    Class B: Be elected Proconsul
    Class C: Be elected Praetor (optional)*
    Bonus: Gain the rank of Ex-Consul, +1 votes for this character (stacked with tier I), +2 if Class C completed)
    *Although appearing last, the praetorship was a step in the cursus before Consul, so in this case Class C should be completed before any of the rest.

Tier III
    Class A: Win a triumph
    Class B: Annex lands for Rome OR defeat a tribe/enemy/people for Rome.
    Class C: Become a patron of Rome OR be elected Censor (Build a tier IV building, OPTIONAL)
    Bonus: become the first among equals. Be warned, this might not be popular. +3 to votes for this character, +4 if the Class C condition is met.

Nota Bene: +Votes refer the number of votes your character's single vote counts for. In other words, if you vote in favor of a law being passed, your vote counts for 3 instead of just 1 if you have the requisite bonuses.

Manius Valerius Messalla

Tier I
    Class A: Be elected as Aedile or Military Quaestor
    Class B: Patronage (Can be from the same family)
    Class C: Military service/tribunus militum (optional)
    Bonus: Gain the rank of Senator, +1 votes for this character, +2 if Class C completed)

Tier II
    Class A: Be elected Consul
    Class B: Be elected Proconsul
    Class C: Be elected Praetor (optional)*
    Bonus: Gain the rank of Ex-Consul, +1 votes for this character (stacked with tier I), +2 if Class C completed)
    *Although appearing last, the praetorship was a step in the cursus before Consul, so in this case Class C should be completed before any of the rest.

Tier III
    Class A: Win a triumph
    Class B: Annex lands for Rome OR defeat a tribe/enemy/people for Rome.
    Class C: Become a patron of Rome OR be elected Censor (Build a tier IV building, OPTIONAL)
    Bonus: become the first among equals. Be warned, this might not be popular. +3 to votes for this character, +4 if the Class C condition is met.

Nota Bene: +Votes refer the number of votes your character's single vote counts for. In other words, if you vote in favor of a law being passed, your vote counts for 3 instead of just 1 if you have the requisite bonuses.

Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

Financial Information
    Green = Current Level
    80 BCE

Agricultural Branch

Tier I: Basic

Class A:
    Cost: 0
    Income: 2,750

Class B:
    Cost: 5,000
    Income: 5,000

Class C:
    Cost: 7,500
    Income: 7,500

(Once Class C achieved, unlock bonus)
    Bonus: -10% legionary recruitment costs

Tier II: Intermediate
    Class A:
    Cost: 10,000
    Income: 10,000

Class B:
    Cost: 15,000
    Income: 15,000

Class C:
    Cost: 20,000
    Income: 17,000

Bonus: -10% legionary upkeep costs

Tier III: Advanced

Class A:
    Cost: 25,000
    Income: 20,000

Class B:
    Cost: 30,000
    Income: 25,000

Class C:
    Cost: 35,000
    Income: 28,000

Bonus: -10% cavalry recruitment/upkeep costs

Tier IV: Advanced Plus
    Class A:
    Cost: 40,000
    Income: 35,000

Class B:
    Cost: 45,000
    Income: 40,000

Class C:
    Cost: 50,000
    Income: 45,000

No Bonus

Remaining Income: 95,540 (starting Income)
    Added Trait Income: Wealth (+6) = 18% added income

Income Year: 28,000 (Starting Income) + 5,040 =
    +
    Added income?:
    -
    Expenses 25% Penalty
    =
    Gross total: 121,580 Denarii
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 13, 2017 at 08:56 PM.

Messalla returns after five years' absence from Rome on the campaign trail with Sulla to find his home burned to the ground. A mix of fear, anger, and desire for revenge filled his head.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Tiberius Claudius Appius made his way towards the house of the Messallae. Finding it in ruins Tiberius is set back. After a moment of reflections he decides to asks the nearby house owners where he can find the current residence of the Messalae family.

He would find Marcus limping through the ruins, directing slaves to pick up or discard certain items. The clay death mask of his father had been destroyed, as had many other precious, irreplaceable things.

Blog Entries

Tiberius moved closer through the ruins, careful not to break anything that might yet still be salvaged. He stopped when he was close to the clearly broken senator... How much pain could a man suffer from an ancestral home laid to waste he wondered. Whilst he looked around at some of the finer female slaves in the senator's employ he was quick to put mind to task and addressed the senator. "Senator Messalla" he respectfully said while he extended his hand in greeting. "It pains me to see your house demolished Senator. It must have been Carbo's horde whilst he had control of Rome." he deduced, who else would do this he wondered? Quickly to offer some relief Tiberius added. "My house has rooms enough Senator, my father is in Gallia. I would offer you a roof over your head while you figure this out sir." Tiberius felt he would dissapoint his father if he not offer the good senator a roof. After all Tiberius had everything he had accomplished during the campaign to thank of Messalla. He was the one that gave him and his brother a chance within the 7th legion. Something Tiberius would not forget.

"That is most kind, TIberius, and I do believe I will take you up on such an offer." He replied without emotion "Now, what brings you to see me?"

Blog Entries

Tiberius smiled lightly, happy he could help the man that gave so much to him.
    "I came to ask you something Sir." Tiberius was still stuck in the military discipline and kept saying Sir at the end of every sentence he spoke. "Considering I am far to young to enter the area of politics I would you for guidance Sir. The army has been good to me, and unlike what I or ever my father may have expected it had suited me, but now I know not what to do Sir. Simply sit around and do nothing until I get a chance to either rejoin an army or age enough to become a Senator, Sir?"

"How old are you now, my son?" he asked

Blog Entries

"18 Sir!" He said brimming of confidence. Perhaps it was his youthfulness, perhaps some misplaced pride.

"Too young to run for any serious office, but old enough to seek glory on the field of battle." He replied. "You should attach yourself to the next campaigning army and make good use of yourself to its commander."

Blog Entries

Tiberius nodded, somewhat disappointed in the end but still confident that he could remain a tribune within the army. Something that had suited him beyond his wildest dreams. "Thank you for your words of wisdom Sir. I shall remain with the Legions in the hope a future commander will allow me to serve Sir." He said while he offered his hand as a thanks and goodbye. "I trust you know where my Domus is Sir, I shall make sure there are refreshments for you Sir." He said while he started to navigate his way back through the rubble both men stood in.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mettius Pinarius Rusca arrives and requests to see his former commander.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Tiberius nodded, somewhat disappointed in the end but still confident that he could remain a tribune within the army. Something that had suited him beyond his wildest dreams. "Thank you for your words of wisdom Sir. I shall remain with the Legions in the hope a future commander will allow me to serve Sir." He said while he offered his hand as a thanks and goodbye. "I trust you know where my Domus is Sir, I shall make sure there are refreshments for you Sir." He said while he started to navigate his way back through the rubble both men stood in.
    "Indeed I do, Tiberius. I shall be there shortly once I finish sorting through this mess." He gave the lad a salute, old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Mettius Pinarius Rusca arrives and requests to see his former commander.
    He finds Messalla picking through the ruins of his domus.

The young man moves to greet his commander with a salute. "I was sorry to hear about your home sir." He says in greeting.

"So was I." He replied. "but it will all be set to rights soon, no use dwelling on it. What business brings you here?"

"I was hoping I could convince you to speak on my behalf for my bid for Questorship sir." He begins. "Your word would carry some weight."

"How old are you, Rusca?" He asked with an arched eyebrow

"26 sir," The young man replies simply. It was a little young for the senate, but not unheard of especially for a partician family.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast