Thread: Help with thesis - game modding

Tiro

Icon11 Help with thesis - game modding

Hello to every and each of you.

I am writing a thesis on game modding (engineering degree) - Reverse Engineering In Service Of Entertainment - Game Modding

I need some help with the part about "reasons for popularity" and "opposition". I hold this community in high regard (along with some part of Ludeon Forums) and as such I would like to include your aggregated opinions in my thesis.

If you would be so kind, please provide answers to the following questions:

Do you use game mods? (not focusing only on total war)

If you do, what would be the three(maximum) most important factors that have you using them?

If not, why are you not interested or opposed to modding? (three factors maximum)

Example answers:
    Yes.
    I use game mods, because the games get boring after a while, and it helps to freshen them up. I also feel that developers do not always deliver 100% of what their game could have to offer.

No.
    I am oppossed to the very idea of modding. Games as art should be digested as the author intended. Most often the mods are just a way for players to cheat their way to victory.

Thank you in advance. The thesis will be made available after the academic process is over. Please send me a private message if you are interested in being informed about its availability. Thesis will be in English (around 30 A4 pages).(ETA: February 2018)

Default Re: Help with thesis - game modding

The Thema Devia is honoured to be a part of your research!

Yes.

If you do, what would be the three(maximum) most important factors that have you using them?
    - Mods offer the opportunity to create games that would otherwise not be possible due to lack of interest or funding. Some examples are Brytnwalda Mod for Warband (RPG set in 7th century Britain), or the Third Age Mod for Kingdoms (A LotR RTS). They ensure that niche audiences are able to find a game that suits their interests perfectly, without having to engage actual gaming studios an the like.

- I suspect that some, if not most modders are looking for a job in the gaming industry, and I believe that the cycle of updates and the user feedback it generates can help them achieve that goal. It is a unique and mutual partnership, if you will. It exposes holes in the modder's knowledge, which he can then address, and at the same time it helps improve the mod.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yes

I didn't like the games until I saw mods. The mods are what those games should have provided.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    The Thema Devia is honoured to be a part of your research!
    Glad to be honouring you. TWCenter is the best.

Some examples are Brytnwalda Mod for Warband (RPG set in 7th century Britain), or the Third Age Mod for Kingdoms (A LotR RTS)
    Both of those are actually separate chapters in the thesis, with Brytenwalda's transition to Viking Conquest, and Third Age both being a part of my engineering project and an example of a mod providing a game that does not exist otherwise.

job in the gaming industry
    This as well is one of the covered in the thesis.

Thank you for your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by AqD
    The mods are what those games should have provided.
    Thank you for your answer. This is also covered And my personal reason as well (looking at you, Minecraft)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

1. Yes, I use mods.

2. I'd say the 3 factors I consider most important are:

1. Features. I originally went to mods to add things which I felt were lacking from the game.
    2. Enjoyability. Good mods make the game more fun.
    3. Stability. Good mods don't have bugs which cause crashes and ruin enjoyment.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    1. Yes, I use mods.

2. I'd say the 3 factors I consider most important are:
    1. Features. I originally went to mods to add things which I felt were lacking from the game.
    2. Enjoyability. Good mods make the game more fun.
    3. Stability. Good mods don't have bugs which cause crashes and ruin enjoyment.
    Thank you. Why would you say you prefer modded game over vanilla? For example, I am at the point that before purchase, I check the mod content available