Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slower Combat Mod for TotalWar 2

Default Slower Combat Mod for TotalWar 2

Just a very basic combat mod for WH:TW2 using the limited tables available atm

*Im sure bigger an more comprehensive mods of this flavor will be made in the future but since i needed this for my gameplay enjoyment i thought id share.

*Slows down speed by about -10%+ (using terrain unit modifier tables)
    -troops in snow and sand -15%, bad terrain more.

*Reduces combat hit chance by 10% (40 - 30% kv Rules)

*Fatigue has been adjusted slightly to compensate for the longer battles

*Buffs Charge to compensate for lower speeds but increases defense a little for longer melee (land units tables)

*Tweaks morale to make shattered units much rarer and army collapse due to losses much later game but also makes tactical factors such as flanks etc and shock casualties more profound. Units will be more fragile and need more tactical care but will rally more often. (kv morale)

*Winds of magic total magic available in a battle has been buffed by about 50% max limit and recharge by about 25% (to allow for longer battles and hey i like things that go bang )

Just extract the 2 Slower Combat zips into your \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\data folder

Its save compatible and you can just delete it when you need with no ill effects

Oh an you will need to enable out of date mods as TW2 as yet is not accepting uploads of mods yet
    (it is made from the latest build so don't fret)

Massive Thanks to all the hard workin folks on this forum that have got Pack file manager working for TW2 and are studiously crunching thru all the db tables

(Edit) just to make clear pple you need to dl the 2nd file slowercombat.pack if you want the mod

1st file is just the png image to make it pretty
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dogmeat; October 05, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: Slower Combat Mod for TotalWar 2

The zip file only contains the png file

ah sorry bout that robogade

brain fart on my side

Pack file is now uploaded too
    Last edited by Dogmeat; September 29, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Thanks a lot, man, but based on the figures above, this still seems waaaay too fast. Could you pelase do a version with at least 30% reduced movement speed, and ca. 15% lower hit chance? Also, why buff magic?

r3dshift I understand movement seems small atm

10% is the minimum reduction for troops on grass it steps up to 15% snow and sand to almost 20% for bad terrain (just because this table gives a limited scale fine detail is difficult)

Main reason i haven't decreased it more is two fold

1. because atm missile tables are not accessible and much slower movement would need some missile balancing less missile troops become uber powerful.

2. and due to the fact i cant separately edit charge speeds yet it would make charge knock back and penetration a little wimpy

Base hit chance is actually reduced 10% from 40 to 30% (il update OP) that plus @10% increase in Melee defense gives troops a sizable survivabilty boost in close combat. (Charges are still deadly like i think they should be))

On magic its just my preference means that their is a bigger pool of magic to last thru a longer battle, the increase is pretty modest (magic is a little underwhelming for large or ultra unit size as it doesn't scale )

Im going out but will trial it more later an may update with bigger movement reduction especially as more tables become available.
    Last edited by Dogmeat; September 29, 2017 at 05:57 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

I see. Thanks, Dogmeat, for even considering my request. I won't be able to test the game some more until Monday, so I'm sure your mod will have changed a bit by then -- if necessary.

Thank you! I really needed this mod

Would it be possible to get a version without the morale changes, or at least toned-down morale changes? Slower combat is good, but units and armies not breaking when there's practically nothing left of them isn't fun.

SpardaSon21 -i guess its matter of my particular taste but i understand morale changes are an individual thing.

Im sure there will be a plethora of similar mods soon

But if not im sure i can post a version without the morale tweaks ( when i get some time )
    Last edited by Dogmeat; September 29, 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Dislexia

Thank you for your work on this! I was holding off starting a campaign until Kam or someone else decided to work hard to get a slower combat mod up.

I really appreciate it.

made my own one similar to lore- id say someone needs to mod all armor ratings, n upp them- so these fights actualy last long enough to sit back and watch, but i cant open the games files ha. past what you guys put up- dont think mod managers been updated yet

That won't do much due to how AP damage works by bypassing armor to hit HP directly. You're going to need to heavily boost melee defense and lower melee attack a bit to get anything of the sort. KAM of the DeI team did a lot of experiments and testing with that for both DeI and his Proper Combat Mod for TWW1. Ideally I'd love to see Proper Combat Mod 2 from him soon, but until then I just make do with what's up here.

yeah ive been working on it today , somewhat better but to go over each one and buff/debuff alota work xd, while still making the big monsters rip things apart xd.

Kv rules can effect the chance of hits alot as a simple tweak.

But agreed buffing defence is essential just have to watch out that charges/knockbacks/pursuits can become a little lame. ( i went for @10%)

A lot of small tweaks thru multiple tables is my preference

Bigger scarier monsters also are i think is warhammer essential

If you go to the tools thread this forum pack file manager 5 is up and if you grab and update one of the latests schema made by hard working legends of the modding community you can tweak most of the relevant tables

Just be aware that CA will do alot of patching and dlc so updating big tables frequently is alot of work.

Ive done a prototype that includes missiles and magic plus a few campaign thangs but am still testin it.

Just some feedback to help @SpardaSon21 'make do'
    Last edited by Dogmeat; October 03, 2017 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Dislexia

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaSon21 View Post
    That won't do much due to how AP damage works by bypassing armor to hit HP directly. You're going to need to heavily boost melee defense and lower melee attack a bit to get anything of the sort. KAM of the DeI team did a lot of experiments and testing with that for both DeI and his Proper Combat Mod for TWW1. Ideally I'd love to see Proper Combat Mod 2 from him soon, but until then I just make do with what's up here.

I will have Proper Combat 2 but only on Workshop. Due to some forum error we can't solve with Gigantus I can't post new threads for past few months :/
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Good News Kam look forward to your creative talents on the workshop

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    I will have Proper Combat 2 but only on Workshop.
    That's great to hear, as in its current state, the game is shite due to the absurd battle mechanics. Any ETA, perhaps...?

Campaign is bland as well, though, but the creator of Advanced AI is working on it now.

Hey Dogmeat,

Tried out your mod a bit, and it already makes battles a bit better than vanilla. However, the present constant routing/returning mechanic is still retarded, as I have to chase down every single unit multiple times. Any way you can tweak this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Frunk; October 05, 2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

R3 a quick fix would be grab Pack File Manager from the modding tools workshop this forum

And just delete kv_morale table in my slower combat pack

Then you will have 100% vanilla morale

Like i said morale is a personal taste i understand if your preferences different to mine

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ry-WH2-support

Shortcut to PFM
    Last edited by Frunk; October 05, 2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

No, you got me all wrong there. Morale is more or less okay this way. It's the frequent routing / coming back numerous times mechanic that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
    No, you got me all wrong there. Morale is more or less okay this way. It's the frequent routing / coming back numerous times mechanic that sucks.
    Hey! I adress this issue in my own mod. You should try it Longer, slower battle with other good stuff! Check discription on my steam workshop for more detail:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1159189172

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast