Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cinna and Carbo, 83 BCE

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Cinna and Carbo, 83 BCE

In the back of the chamber a tall stocky man rose to address the assembly, quiet until now, Aedile Gaius Antonius Hybrida was ready to speak. When, O Sulpicianus, do you mean to cease abusing our patience? How long is this madness of yours to mock us? When is there to be an end of that unbridled audacity of yours, swaggering about as it does now? Members of the assembly, we sit and debate the merits of this and the necessity of that, tradition vs necessity, the needs of Rome. All but one of these is immaterial, and that is Rome itself. An institution that has endured longer than any man alive. And endured it has, through the support of the populace, through the guidance of the senate, and through the will of the gods.

And while our destinies are led by fate, this senate is governed by the laws of men. You would disregard all of this, to further you own selfish desires, your schemes would be the death of order, setting a precedent for future crimes against the Senate. I will not stand for it, I serve the people of Rome, and serve them well.

Valerius you have my support, this madness of Suplicianus cannot come to pass.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

The session of the Senate comes to a noisy end as the remaining Senators ratify the law stripping the Cinnan faction of power and criminalizing them and their behavior. Some leave in disgust, others leave feeling triumphant that the government has been taken back from the strongmen of the state. The vote stood at 50-20 in favor.

The following men are elected:

Appius Claudius Pulcher - Consul

Titus Pinarius Rusca - Consul

Gaius Furius Sulpicianus - Praetor

Canus Calvisius Cotta- Praetor

Gnaeus Magius Caecilianus - Aedile

Gaius Furius Sulpicianus waited for the Consuls to open the new session of the Senate. Now that the government had been returned to its rightful place, it was time to keep it there through shrewd legislation.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Appius Claudius Pulcher, newly elected consul calls for a new session in the curia., and proceeds to open the session.

Gaius enters with the new Consul, making small talk before finding his seat. There would be much to discuss and talk about, for starters ensuring that the Sullan faction did not turn on them in the event of victory and ensuring that if they lose, they can step up to oppose Cinna. The political situation was precarious, though not particularly dangerous considering the overall political situation of the past years.

"Conscript fathers, I applaud your resolute actions of the previous session, By your courage we have wrenched the reigns of government from autocrats and despots. We must now take measures to defend our positions. I am of the opinion that we should validate the Sullan faction with legitimacy. We have received word that Metellus Pius now leads the southern legions of Sulla's host. We should confer upon him Pro-Consular power to legitimize his command and sanction him with winning the war, defeating the enemies in Italy. Furthermore we should send a delegation north, as quickly as possible, to dissuade Cinna's old legions from taking part in the war, or else bringing them under the Senate's control and the control of the Consuls."

Cotta lingered on the words. As far as he and this new body were concerned, Carbo was enemy of the state. We knew of his intentions. Metellus Pius was a different story. A successor to Sulla is no easy task, and so quickly and without the forces splintering and turning on each other. Were they just eager to return to Rome free of Carbo and Cinna, or was Rome the prize for themselves
    "Cinna's legions will needed in the days to come. Maybe not against anyone now, but they will be soon. I concur with my fellow Praetor that heading north to speak with the legions that were under Cinna is the matter most urgent here today."

He continued
    "While I do wish and hope for a peaceful end to these trying times, the former Legions and commanders under Sulla have rallied rather quickly under Metellus Pius. We know not the circumstances under which this has occurred. Perhaps Pius was the handpicked successor, or perhaps we strong armed his way into command. We don't yet know what his command is hinging on, and the faster we do the safer we will be. I concur with my friend Sulpicianus to open and validate Metelus and his comrades as Roman and not enemies."

He paused for a breath
    "IF Metelus is not as friendly to the Republic as we assume he is, we will have to put our efforts into the former Cinna legions, which needs to happen above all else. It gives Rome a chance, and is in itself a deterrent from full scale siege."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Gaius enters with the new Consul, making small talk before finding his seat. There would be much to discuss and talk about, for starters ensuring that the Sullan faction did not turn on them in the event of victory and ensuring that if they lose, they can step up to oppose Cinna. The political situation was precarious, though not particularly dangerous considering the overall political situation of the past years.

"Conscript fathers, I applaud your resolute actions of the previous session, By your courage we have wrenched the reigns of government from autocrats and despots. We must now take measures to defend our positions. I am of the opinion that we should validate the Sullan faction with legitimacy. We have received word that Metellus Pius now leads the southern legions of Sulla's host. We should confer upon him Pro-Consular power to legitimize his command and sanction him with winning the war, defeating the enemies in Italy. Furthermore we should send a delegation north, as quickly as possible, to dissuade Cinna's old legions from taking part in the war, or else bringing them under the Senate's control and the control of the Consuls."
    Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    Cotta lingered on the words. As far as he and this new body were concerned, Carbo was enemy of the state. We knew of his intentions. Metellus Pius was a different story. A successor to Sulla is no easy task, and so quickly and without the forces splintering and turning on each other. Were they just eager to return to Rome free of Carbo and Cinna, or was Rome the prize for themselves
    "Cinna's legions will needed in the days to come. Maybe not against anyone now, but they will be soon. I concur with my fellow Praetor that heading north to speak with the legions that were under Cinna is the matter most urgent here today."

He continued
    "While I do wish and hope for a peaceful end to these trying times, the former Legions and commanders under Sulla have rallied rather quickly under Metellus Pius. We know not the circumstances under which this has occurred. Perhaps Pius was the handpicked successor, or perhaps we strong armed his way into command. We don't yet know what his command is hinging on, and the faster we do the safer we will be. I concur with my friend Sulpicianus to open and validate Metelus and his comrades as Roman and not enemies."

He paused for a breath
    "IF Metelus is not as friendly to the Republic as we assume he is, we will have to put our efforts into the former Cinna legions, which needs to happen above all else. It gives Rome a chance, and is in itself a deterrent from full scale siege."
    Appius Claudius Pulcher rose from his seat after the men before him had finished speaking. He ran his hands through his dark and still very full head of hair and cleared his throat. "Conscript Fathers" he said with a powerful tone, trying to get everyone's attention and squash and squabbling senator's may had between themselves. "I second the notion brought forward by our Preator." He paused for a moment, gauging the rooms reaction. "I would suggest my honorable co-consul, Titus Pinarus Rusca be sent north to speak with the commanders of the legions that served under Cinna." Appius concluded.
    Last edited by General Brewster; October 05, 2017 at 11:29 AM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Titus was somewhat surprised he himself had been named, but despite the fact that the assignment would send him away from Rome if he gained control of the Legions himself he would be well positioned no matter how the war played out.

"I of course would be honored to go take command of Cinna's legions." He begins. "Rome stands in need of defense and if this senate deems fit I will take on the task." Things were playing out well for his own ambitions. He had more to propose once this was concluded, but that could wait for the time being.

"The only questions that remains is if the legions will defect from their master." Gaius added. "We should dispatch Rusca immediately in order to see."

Blog Entries

"Than so be it" Appius said, Rusca shall speak to the legions and sway them to our cause. Or at least that was the idea Appius though to himself.

Rusca nods as it seemed that business was concluded. He rises to bring his next point to order. "Rome's tresury lies bear and the funds to run the state dangerously low. Action must be taken at once to reinvigorate the treasury."

"What do you propose?" Gaius asked lazily

"With Carbo declared an enemy of the State all his assets and incomes should be seized and sold to help restore the treasury. In addition an increase in the tax on the years harvest should see the incomes restored and the grain can be used to feed the Republics Legions." Titus says simply.

As a man not well versed in financing Sulpicianus deferred to the Consul's knowledge. "It would be astute, I think." He said simply. He wondered what the quaestors would think. "Surely we must protect ourselves."

Blog Entries

An early morning in Rome, the forum is not yet the busy place it is during later hours of the day. The only Consul in Rome, Appius Claudius Pulcher roams the forum accompanied by his lictor's. Even if the forum was not yet brimming of life some of his many clients within the city notice Pulcher. People he best not ignore, no matter what reason brings him to the forum so early. After some conversations about the current political climate, where Pulcher made sure to sway away any doubts his clients may or may not have he makes his way towards the Curia Hostilia. A new session is to be called at once and in all earnest. After all the religious and customary traditions are dealt with the various senators start to take up their seats within the Curia. When the majority of senators are present and seated the consul rises from his seat and takes to the floor.

As he stands there he gazes through the curia's hall, exchanging looks with many senators whilst remaining silent. Earnest could be seen on his face. The consul was troubled, something weighed heavy on him, a large burden. Conscripted fathers he would finally say. A commanding tone could be detected, whilst Pulcher had not taken the steps of the cursus honorarium it could be seen he had talents. He cocked his head to the left side of the room, followed by cocking his head to the right side of the room. Making sure he had everyone's attention. I bring news from Sulla's encampment. he would eventually say. My son, Appius Claudius, Tribuni Augusticlavii of the seventh Legion under Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius has returned home, as a true son of Rome. He brought back news from the field of battle instructed to do so by Metellus Pius. Pulcher paused again, building up some tension in the room, although he made no mistake, the more senior senator's would of course already know that the return of a consuls son would mean victory on the field of battle.

Pulcher walked from the middle of the senate floor to the right, then to the left and eventually return back to the center whilst he looked at the various senator's faces.
    Metellus Pius has engaged the forces of Gnaeus Norbanus, the proclaimed enemy of Rome Pulcher raised his voice, giving more power to the following Crushing him utterly and taking Norbanus as a prisoner of war! Pulcher smiled, remaining silent whilst various senators clapped their hands. In this moment of noise and joy, Pulcher would say The remainder of Norbanus his legions have taken refuge within the walled city of Narbo. on a softer tone than before.

Pulcher raised his hands, asking for the silence of the senators. Joyous news indeed my conscripted fathers. he said softly while smiling. Metellus Pius has asked the senate for the following he continued, now he would raise his voice once more. Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius asks us to allow him to run for Consul in absentia for the coming year. I would move we grant that request. Whilst Pulcher had his doubts about electing Pius consul, he was the man that was fighting the Republic's enemies and still had to face off with Carbo as well. Before anyone could interrupt Pulcher adds Carbo remains in the North with a large body of men. Metellus Pius has proven himself a capable commander and leader of men. I say we let him finish the job. he said with a roaring voice, putting his orating skills to use. And I might add, conscripted fathers that Metellus Pius has insisted he desires to return to Rome, in all earnest he paused again, building some dramatics once more before he loudly exclaimed; Peacefully!

Valerius stood in the back in his plain white toga, his head covered. He had no desire to take part in this ill-begotten Senate. But he wanted to hear the news after Claudius had announced an emergency session.
    He did not know what to say to this news. Marius has started this whole mess by constantly standing in absentia. This troubled him with this group of weak-willed nobodies who had 'elected' themselves into power.

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

A broken figure of a man would be brought into the Senate. Titus stared through clouded blind eyes his arms hanging uselessly at his side. It was clear what had happened. The chamber would grow silent as they recognized the man.
    "Ca .. Carbo is making for R Rome," He manged to get out before collapsing to the pain.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Fools.. fools they were. Gnaeus thought as he saw the shadow of a man enter the Curia, but the gauntlet had been tossed at Carbo's feet. We must see to the security of Rome.. what men do we have for the defense of the city? The corpulent senator questioned as he rose with great effort, his voice cutting the silence. And someone get the physicians! He called to the lictors, a nessecary after thought, they went to bring the man back up on his feet.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; October 07, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    A broken figure of a man would be brought into the Senate. Titus stared through clouded blind eyes his arms hanging uselessly at his side. It was clear what had happened. The chamber would grow silent as they recognized the man.
    "Ca .. Carbo is making for R Rome," He manged to get out before collapsing to the pain.
    The consul rose from his seat, shocked that some hobo would enter the senate. Eventually it dawned upon him it was his fellow Consul. As he stood he remained silent for a moment before he would order his lictors to support the man, after all he was still a consul and should be treated with some respect. This had been the exact reason why Appius refused to go north himself. Carbo's stance on the senate in Rome was clear now however.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Fools.. fools they were. Gnaeus thought as he saw the shadow of a man enter the Curia, but the gauntlet had been tossed at Carbo's feet. We must see to the security of Rome.. what men do we have for the defense of the city? The corpulent senator questioned as he rose with great effort, his voice cutting the silence. And someone get the physicians! He called to the lictors, a nessecary after thought, they went to bring the man back up on his feet.
    Before the consul could further comment on the matter Gnaeus began talking. "Calm your laurels" he yelled through the room, commanding a silence on the senate floor. Pulcher moved towards his fellow consul and spoke to him directly, silent enough so only the first few rows of senators could hear them. "A grave injustice has been done to you my friend. We shall have the best medicus in Rome attend to you I promise you that." Pulcher moved back to the senate floor as his fellow consul departs the Curia seeking treatment. "Senators of Rome, I move that we agree to Pius's requests at once and dispatch a letter that his enemy is on Rome's doorsteps! Whilst I do not think Carbo would be foolish enough to ransack Rome there is nothing stopping him from peacefully occupying the city and hunt down the senators in Rome. We need Pius and his army to give battle to Carbo!"

Dozens of Senator flee from their seats. There is mass confusion.

Valerius ducks out under the cover of the Senators running away.

After a hectic 10 minutes, order is restored, but the Senate is barely half full.

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast