Thread: French questions.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Default French questions.

Shakos

There are a TON of french shakos, all of tehm beutiufl, but I don;t know what shakoes goes on whom, can someone link me a guide? Did every regiment have its own shako badge and thats why they vary so widely? There the french eagle, the diamond, and its very confusing.

pre 1812 unifroms post 1812
    As the french army had supply problems, causing the adoption of the 1812 uniform, which was less complex, although no less smart. Were there any account of some soildats wearing the old uniform at the time of waterloo?

BAtllions
    Did french battalions of the same regiments fight together, or apart, sorry I've asked before but I cannot for the life of me find an answer? Most OoB say the name of a regiment but not its bttn number.

Thnx
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: French questions.

To make it simple: pre 1812, the shako had a losange. brass for line infantry, silver for light infantry.
    1812: the angle, again brass for line infantry, silver for light.

For a guide, look at MoE, they are correct :p.

The French regiments usually fought together, contrary to Britain where the regiment was only an administrative level, the actual level was the batalion.

Thank you Steph!

Any idea of the uniforms? When some units had only greatcoats, sure those units with no uniforms would be prioritized first? and perhaps, some veterans, who re-joined the 100 days, might have left with the older (Nicer) uniform?

I don;t suggest that there were entire regiments running around with pre bardian uniforms but, a smattering of them here and there maybe?
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Patrician Artifex

As was the case with almost every army of the era, transition to new uniforms was never done in one day.

Quite. XD But I am more asking if we knew if it was ever completed. XD

But I guess that you don;t know, just I though perhaps you might have found a quote somewhere.

Is there a list somewhere of how many battalions there were in each regiment?

If there were more tan 2 battalions in a regiment, did they all fight together, I know at waterloo they always fought in a brigadewas this the same elsewhere?

How were cavalry regiments formed?

Am I right in saying that french light infantry were separately numbered?

Patrician Artifex

Not quite, I have one more, cavalry regiments were just one battalion right?

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT! View Post
    Not quite, I have one more, cavalry regiments were just one battalion right?
    Cavalry regiments were divided into a number of squadrons, and each squadron into 2 companies. This is contained in my thread that Steph linked you to.
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician Artifex

Answered by Prince of Essling. Battalion word is specific to infantry. For cavalry, it's squadron.

And it's not only for the French, I think it's the case for every faction. At least I can't remember one with cavalry "battalion"

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Answered by Prince of Essling. Battalion word is specific to infantry. For cavalry, it's squadron.

And it's not only for the French, I think it's the case for every faction. At least I can't remember one with cavalry "battalion"
    For an exception see the Prussian Hussars pre 1808 reforms http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...anhussars.html which also includes reference to the Towarczys battalion (of five squadrons) and Hussar Regiment [or ‘Battalion’] Number 11.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; October 02, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician Artifex

Nitpicking: in this example, the sub units is still the squadron. But the regiment is replaced by batalion.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Nitpicking: in this example, the sub units is still the squadron. But the regiment is replaced by batalion.
    Indeed though Russian Hussar Regiments of 10 squadrons were divided into 2 battalions each of 5 squadrons.....though on 27 December 1812 the regiments were ordered to consist of 6 active squadrons and 1 replacement squadron.
    In 1805 His Imperial Highness the Tsesarevich Constantine Pavlovich’s Lancer Regiment consisted of 10 squadrons again divided into 2 battalions each of 5 squadrons - however on 12 December 1809 two Guards cavalry regiments were formed from the Regiment - Life-Guards Lancers and Life-Guards Dragoons - each consisted of five active squadrons and a replacement half-squadron.
    On 18 October 1808 the Polish, Tatar, Lithuania, and Volhynia Lancer regiments each consisted of 10 active squadrons (probably divided into 2 battalions....)and one replacement squadron.

See, its not so easy, sometime the answer looks like ti;s incomplete, British cavalry have battalions, although I don't believe they did at the time. And what is cavarly is these days is debatable. THank you both very much that;s me out of questions, but it can be quite confusing, who has what, who calls what what, cavarly companies are called troops in the UK.

And I make the minitures as well, so i don't wanna mess up and repaint later. XD