Thread: You Are the Senate

Default You Are the Senate

Since the recent incarnation of WOTR is temporarily suspended, I'm gauging interest in a Roman game to play instead. The current rules and everything are already in place here. This game can be successful with 6 active players, so this is the minimum number of players I am looking for. If you're interested in playing pleasealso suggest your preferred starting time/event. The time periods that will work for this game include (exclusively) any time between the First Punic War and up to the reign of Commodus. Please note that any time period outside of 120 BCE-43BCE will require some rule rewriting. Personally, I prefer to start at any point within that time range as it provides the most opportunity for RP.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: You Are the Senate

Yup.
    Time preference during or right after the Jurgurthine War.
    Last edited by General Brewster; September 26, 2017 at 09:35 AM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Interested with no start date preference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I'm leaning towards the Social War again, that seems to be a good starting point.

Id be interested.
    Im open to any start period. But I say we start right in the middle of the civil war of Sulla vs Cinna, either when Sulla is fighting Mithrates or when he lands back in Italy. And since we usually don't have historical characters, we roll to see what side each player ends up on. Everyone running to one side doesnt bring good results in terms of rp usually

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

I was going to suggest everyone try to start with two families to address that problem in order to give more room for people to try stuff and fail and think independently. I don't like the idea of rolling to see who someone has to support. One can even be rarely played or used but it gives another option to people to side with an underdog or go out on a limb.

In terms of a starting situation we can either take historical characters or rewrite a bit of history and make our characters successors to that situation (basically by adding another layer to the civil war period). I prefer the latter option I think

Well, we could also all start with Sulla, (or historical equivalent )in the Asia Minor War, then have to come back to an Italy that is held against us. Unless people want to play the other side in it. But people would have to know proscriptions are coming, and that the Sulla character has to "retire" after a few years if he retakes Rome. This opens up a giant hole in the power makeup in the Senate, and then we see what happens from there.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I like having the option to make some custom characters I feel it gives some more room to be creative with it. But I can do either option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

That would be an interesting option. Sulla could even be moderator controlled for our purposes. People could sign up as his underlings at "entry level'" spots though w3 may have to limit how many.

Ok, here are my proposed settings:

1. Social War, the Italian allies want citizenship and have risen in revolt to achieve it. Socii in rebellion will be NPC, all families will be considered Roman loyalists.

2. Sullan civil war. Sulla has finally defeated the last of Marian forces and has issued reforms and edicts. This setting will probably need to involve Sulla dying suddenly to create a power vacuum the Senate can fill, but this time with mostly junior senators.

3. This one is sort of way out there. An alternate history where Caesar is killed halfway through the Gallic conquest, leaving only an aging Pompey as the primary man in Rome. But as Pompey himself ages and becomes ever more ineffective, power vacuums open up. I'm not convinced this is the best setting but I thought I'd throw it out there for comment.

1) Sulla dies in the middle of the Civil War. The remaining senators (us players) must get organized then beat the rest of the Cinnian faction. Afterwards reforms must be made to the government as the senators try to fill the power void.

2) Quintus Sertorius in Spain. After Sulla dies. Sertorius still controls Spain. The proconsuls of Nearer and Further Spain must deal with what was Rome's most formidable enemy of the century. Do they work together, or try to capture all the glory for themselves? The leadership in the Senate is still wide open for those with ambition.

3) There's always the Numidian Wars

4) MS tries to conquer Crete with less than 14 legions

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

I like #1 a lot. I don't like #2 as much because it would mess with the delicate starting balance of power among players; we're too high in the cursus.

I vote #1. All on the same side to build characters, then consolidation into blocs.

Also that setting will not require any major rule rewriting, so it would be good to go right away. Here's my problem with the setting though. If Sulla dies on the march back, what is stopping Cinna and Carbo from remaining entrenched in dominance in Rome? The Senate grows a pair and openly opposes them, maybe endorsing Sulla (hypocritically maybe) as a saviour and picking up the mantle?

"The year is 85 BCE. Lucius Cornelius Cinna and his colleague for the Cosulship, Papirius Carbo, have entrenched themselves within Rome, each serving their 3rd or 4th consecutive term as Consul. Sulla’s forces march back from the east, victorious over the Pontic foe. Cinna and Carbo have suspended elections for the year and will retain their offices as Consuls, prompting much outrage within the Senatorial class. Sulla might be a tyrant, but at least he favored a restoration of the old way. Cinna and Carbo were poised to declare themselves Consuls without election and dominate government in Rome in blind disregard for any political convention. Word would eventually reach Rome that Sulla had died suddenly in Illyria from disease contracted on the march. In spite of this, Cinna refuses to call for an election and to step down from power. It now falls to the Senate itself, or members of this august body, to retrieve the reigns of the state from the powerful bloc that has usurped it. With Sulla gone, this was their best chance to be rid of all the tyrannical men of state."

We may need to have characters planted in Sulla's army to take over after his death.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; September 27, 2017 at 11:34 AM.

I was imagining Sulla dying after landing in Southern Italy. And Cinna had died at he had historically. Carbo and Marius the Younger now have two armies to try to stop the Sullan forces from moving north and taking Rome. Since we the players are acting as Sullas commanders, we have not been in Rome to run for office. We would have to take back Rome before the first year ends to hold elections. And even after we hold Rome, Carbo's forces might not be totally defeated.

I know it is a little disorganized. But I wanted to create a scenario that needed immediate action, without having us at odds with each other.( Deals could be cut, support me as military leader and I wont run for consul against you, etc )If some players are not interested in military matters, or cant commit to a heavy playing role right away, then they could be holed up in Rome, trying to stay neutral, but don't expect to be saving up money from farms or trade, as its a civil war.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

That works too