Thread: The Byzantines are Idiots

Default The Byzantines are Idiots

Ok, so I started a game as Venice, and everything started off pretty well. Then they Byzantines declared war on me, for really no apparent reason. Then they seemed really interested in Iraklion, that tiny city on Crete. They keep sending ships to scout it out and troops as well. Now I'm thinking, "Well, bye bye Iraklion! Have fun with the Byzantines!" And guess what? They send an entire force of MISSILE CAVALRY to siege the city. Middle cavalry + Italian Spear Militia = death to the Byzantines.
    Now in laughing in the Byzantines' face, having taken 1/3 of the casualties they did.
    Here comes the really funny part: they did this 3 more times. In a row.

I don't know why they keep doing it, but let's just say Iraklion probably isn't going anywhere. At least not to the Byzantines.

Default Re: The Byzantines are Idiots

Missile, not middle cavalry

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

That's just the AI. Every faction does this. England besieging you with a full stack of chivalric knights and one town militia or milan trying to scale your walls with peasant archers is pretty common.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    That's just the AI. Every faction does this. England besieging you with a full stack of chivalric knights and one town militia or milan trying to scale your walls with peasant archers is pretty common.
    Lol, it’s still hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by PoochieMoo View Post
    Ok, so I started a game as Venice, and everything started off pretty well. Then they Byzantines declared war on me, for really no apparent reason. Then they seemed really interested in Iraklion, that tiny city on Crete. They keep sending ships to scout it out and troops as well. Now I'm thinking, "Well, bye bye Iraklion! Have fun with the Byzantines!" And guess what? They send an entire force of MISSILE CAVALRY to siege the city. Middle cavalry + Italian Spear Militia = death to the Byzantines.
    Now in laughing in the Byzantines' face, having taken 1/3 of the casualties they did.
    Here comes the really funny part: they did this 3 more times. In a row.

I don't know why they keep doing it, but let's just say Iraklion probably isn't going anywhere. At least not to the Byzantines.
    Try Jack Lusted's "better AI" mod. All it does is make the AI in vanilla play smarter on the campaign map and in battles. You won't have this issue with the mod. At Least I never did in my last game with Venice. Infact the AI seem to leave me alone for the most part, builds forts and defends key passes and areas, has full stacked armies with better quality troops, keeps better relations with you and in campaign battles they have better formations and cavalry on the flank. It improves the gameplay considerably and is easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewcthf View Post
    Try Jack Lusted's "better AI" mod. All it does is make the AI in vanilla play smarter on the campaign map and in battles. You won't have this issue with the mod. At Least I never did in my last game with Venice. Infact the AI seem to leave me alone for the most part, builds forts and defends key passes and areas, has full stacked armies with better quality troops, keeps better relations with you and in campaign battles they have better formations and cavalry on the flank. It improves the gameplay considerably and is easy to install.
    Ill have to give that mod a try, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PoochieMoo View Post
    Ill have to give that mod a try, thanks!
    I posted a link to it a while back. The diplomacy is much better to. Having said that the Byzantines have the hardest position in the game in my opinion and the AI will still lose every time.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm actually surprised in a good way. Strictly speaking, Iraklion should be under Byzantine control at the start of the campaign as it was a Byzantine territory in 1080, the year the game starts, and did not come under Venetian rule until 1204. Having it start under Venetian rule was one of the more irritating historical inaccuracies of the game.

So learning that the Byzantines try to take it back makes sense. That said, i agree with the person who recommended mods. The best Byzantines are to be found in Broken Crescent mod or Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project.

As for armies of horse archers, that's because this is the only unit that Byzantines can recruit in a totally unupgraded castle. Again, arguably a poor gameplay design issue. Their armies should be a mix of infantry, archers, heavy cavalry and horse archers. One way you could experiment would be going into the descr_strat file in the M2TW folder and adding better buildings to their castles, then see what they do.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; October 24, 2017 at 02:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Did someone tried the "better ai" mod? Is it worth a try? Because it's pretty interesting.

Try the Stainless Steel mod, Byzantines are quite a challenge