Thread: Insignificance of public speaking, for writers?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Insignificance of public speaking, for writers?

A couple days ago i gave my (more than likely) best ever speech/presentation, to 30 people or so. It was on account of translating a collection of stories by Franz Kafka. The speech was ok, the audience was interested, i was even surprised that 5 people i didn't know came to me and asked that i (the translator) would sign their copy of the book.

But it seemed pointless. Speaking to a crowd. It can appear interesting if one speaks for 1 hour or so, but in reality nothing is gained for anyone. I have to suppose that i was good exactly because i didn't care much, at least not to an OCD level of aspiring to make an impression or say very specific things. I just mentioned information that i knew, and alluded to other things, and in general the presentation was a lot less interesting than even a badly written story plot. But a public speech is not a story plot. It supposedly is more direct and factual.

Maybe a writer should just write, and not speak to crowds. I know that a (very established) translator is of the habit to never speak publicly, and is reclusive all around, but this meant that the publisher he works with decided to not present a second book of his (own, original) work later on.

But an actual writer shouldn't be seen as a showman or presenter. Neither a rhetorician.

Ultimately i view this as pointless. Even if one was talking to a crowd of thousands, in some concert hall, and enjoyed a standing ovation - it is still without meaning, and fleeting. Writing itself should not be like that.

-Do you think that public speaking is a needed part of writing? Does it serve much of a purpose?

Last edited by Kyriakos; September 24, 2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: bad typo :o
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Insignificance of public speakng, for writers?

You did something well and immediately ask yourself whether it wasn't probably all in vain and meaningless? Maybe you should consider dropping Kafka for a while in favour of something infinitely more cheerful and positive, like, Remarque or Tolstoi?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    You did something well and immediately ask yourself whether it wasn't probably all in vain and meaningless? Maybe you should consider dropping Kafka for a while in favour of something infinitely more cheerful and positive, like, Remarque or Tolstoi?
    What do you mean? I AM Kafka.

Well... I (rather) am 2.500 words away from finishing my ETA Hoffmann Sandman translation. But yes, i was disappointed by stuff also following the presentation, and generally dislike public speaking. I used to work for more than 300 hours as presenter/speaker in an ancient philosophy seminar for the local municipality.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

It used to be common knowledge that the greatest fear in adults is public speaking. In fact, that's one reason in the USA that Speech is a high school class and highly encouraged.

How can you NOT practice at public speaking? You need to appraise an audience and their reception of your presentation. Oh gosh, in the old daysyou didn't have Powerpoint and had to use all manner of visual aids, multiple modalities, tone, audience participation, humor, etc in order to capture their interest.

Visit a storyteller's convention sometime and see how talented folks can present a story. It's very entertaining and only a shade different than acting.

In young adult ministry, we would encourage those teens to get over public speaking and nervousness by perpetually getting them in front of their peers because it helped them as young leaders but importantly in dating.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 24, 2017 at 11:11 PM.

I ad-lib, in every speech i ever gave, and i used to work as a seminar presenter (ancient greek philosophy, ie the subject of my uni degree) for over 300 hours.

I can do it, if i don't care enough about what i am saying. But i am interested in constructing things, which is why i write. You CANNOT construct a high-level presentation in the style of an intricate piece of fiction, cause you are there, and it makes everything into an interaction with others (ie vanity oriented, which i dislike) instead of some attempt to present an artistic passage and progression of intersecting lights flying about in the dark of the story.

That some writers (eg local) think of themselves as showmen, is something i heavily dislike

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Insignificance of public speaking, for writers?

Come on you'll make a great politician, like Gaius Julius Caesar!

So is this a roundabout way of saying, "I can't act out a story?"

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Come on you'll make a great politician, like Gaius Julius Caesar!
    AqD, lend me your ears as to why the insult by Rubicon must be answered in blood

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

If you can connect to your audience by speaking words you will understand the differences and similarities of connecting to them using written words.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I do not believe speeches are a requisite to consider yourself a writer. However, being eloquent in your speech and being somewhat adept at wit can only serve to your benefit. In that regard, practice makes perfect, though you don't need a crowd for that per se.