Thread: Identify true sons?

Default Identify true sons?

Hi, I just installed Stainless Steel and I LOVE the fact that you can have generals without having them in the family tree, this is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, this is just a small feature but for me, this feature is what makes the game amazing.

Now my question is: how can I identify which general is pure blood(descendant of the first king on the family tree) and which is either adopted or got in the family through marriage with one of my daughters? When I start the game as England, there are three generals: Robert, Stephen de Blois, King Henry(and Rufus but he's dead so doesn't matter anymore). Who of those are true sons of their dad and who are adopted or got in the family through marriage with a princess?

I see a trait called "Of English Blood", is this trait what makes them true descendants of King William(first king in the family tree)? - I think that what the trait description says but I want to make sure.

Now, few questions about the mechanics:

1.Let's say Robert is a true descendant. If I marry him with a noble daughter, will their sons have the "Of English Blood" trait, so the bloodline will continue forward? What if I marry him with a royal daughter(i.e. a French princess), will the "Of English Blood" still go on to their sons and their sons' sons?

2. If a daughter which is true descendant marries a noble general, will their sons and daughters have "Of English Blood" trait, thus being true descendants of the king?(if that' what the trait is anyway)

3. Let's say Stephen de Blois is not true descendant(makes sense given the name) and he got in my family through the marriage with a daughter which was English Blood. Will their sons and daughter have the "Of English Blood" trait?

4. Where can I find the txt file in order to edit a trait? I want the true sons to be better than regular generals, so I want to give them some extra stats for the "Of English Blood" trait.

Thank you for your time and thank you for your replies in advance.
    Last edited by FoxXeL; September 22, 2017 at 05:02 AM.

Default Re: Identify true sons?

Yes, "of English blood" is how you can always identify descendants of the first King in the tree.

1. Yes, as long as the father is of "English blood" any children will also be, regardless of their mother.
    2. Same goes for the mother "of English blood" any children will also be regardless of the father is.
    3. That should work, yes. So Stephen will never be legitimate, but his kids can be.
    4. That, I don't know exactly, though someone on here surely does.

p.s.
    Only change if daughter is English blood and marries outside the family, the children will get their fathers last name. They'll still be 'English blood' but this comes in handy for dynasty purposes, if you want your king to always keep the family name Plantegenat (or whatever it may be).

I enjoy tinkering with my family tree as well, depending which faction im playing. Its fun for RP purposes
    Last edited by Duck of Death; September 22, 2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I am confused. Not a surprise, but.... What about the 'biological son' attribute and how does this differ from the 'of English blood' attribute. I am pretty certain these are not redundant, but...

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I am confused. Not a surprise, but.... What about the 'biological son' attribute and how does this differ from the 'of English blood' attribute. I am pretty certain these are not redundant, but...

I was also asking myself the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Yes, "of English blood" is how you can always identify descendants of the first King in the tree.

1. Yes, as long as the father is of "English blood" any children will also be, regardless of their mother.
    2. Same goes for the mother "of English blood" any children will also be regardless of the father is.
    3. That should work, yes. So Stephen will never be legitimate, but his kids can be.
    4. That, I don't know exactly, though someone on here surely does.

p.s.
    Only change if daughter is English blood and marries outside the family, the children will get their fathers last name. They'll still be 'English blood' but this comes in handy for dynasty purposes, if you want your king to always keep the family name Plantegenat (or whatever it may be).

I enjoy tinkering with my family tree as well, depending which faction im playing. Its fun for RP purposes
    Thank you for your reply, +rep for you, kind sir.
    Last edited by FoxXeL; September 22, 2017 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    That's a little different.
    What I said above holds true, but... the 'biological son' or 'illegitimate son' traits are random I think.
    Don't think those traits mean much though, since you can get conflicting traits sometimes.
    Like 'womanizer' and 'foreign fruitcake' at the same time.
    'Cowardly' and 'fine with blood' at the same time etc...

The only one that really matters is the "of English blood"... that shows the general is a legitimate heir to the throne.
    Last edited by Duck of Death; September 23, 2017 at 02:06 PM.

What I said above holds true, but... the 'biological son' or 'illegitimate son' traits are random I think.
    Don't think those traits mean much though, since you can get conflicting traits sometimes.

The only one that really matters is the "of English blood"... that shows the general is a legitimate heir to the throne.

Yeah, most probably "biological son" trait means that he was not adopted, he is the biological son of his father. That doesn't mean though that his father wasn't adopted. Stephen de Blois can have a biological son, that doesn't mean that the son is in any way related to the first king of the tree(descendant of William).
    Last edited by FoxXeL; September 23, 2017 at 02:39 PM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A bit off topic,but I will take a shot here. Are all the SS Mod traits random versus the vanilla which may be random to some degree? I am not certain I have asked this clearly though.

Some are entirely random, some are based on the parent, and some you can actively manipulate through your general's actions.
    Its always a little touch and go though.

One like 'womanizer' is entirely random.
    One like 'honors his father' can come from the parent/child situation.
    One like 'hates the Scots' can come from him attacking the Scots.

Got a follow up question regarding this subject; to keep my bloodline pure I'm marrying cousins with eachother. Only used 2 princesses to strengthen my alliance with the HRE. Does this have any affect for the long term?

Also, because of this I never ever adopt anyone, nor do I train any generals. But this has become a serious issue, as I have 32 provinces with just 5/6 family members. Can I just recruit generals from castles without having the chance of my family not having any children anymore?

If you recruit to many generals, you could end up with family shortages, but with 5/6 family and 32 provinces... you can recruit a dozen or more generals without negative effect.

As far as marrying cousins for a 'pure' bloodline, only the father's name really matters for that, unless you're doing for purely RP reasons.