Thread: Made a mess with play as Denmark on SS 6.4

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Made a mess with play as Denmark on SS 6.4

Messing around and still learning -- with SS 6.4.

The latest confusion had to do with a play in a short campaign in the early period with Denmark. About 30 turns in I canceled the alliance and trade treaties with Norway. On Norway's turn, they either attacked or bumped into my stack heading towards Oslo. Just a skirmish, but when my turn resumed my Papal rating had plunged 4 of the 10 points while Norway was now at the top of the Papal ratings. What??? Now I know there are several things going on here, but how much of a hit did I get from the cancelation of the Alliance?

Oh, and the Norwegian big stack redeployed back to Oslo which made the plan unworkable in any case. So much for the Danish plan of their Pearl Harbor 'sneak attack' on Oslo. Now I have a war with naval superiority, an inferior Papal rating, an opponent with better castle troops, but probably an advantage with income and catapults. How should I proceed? Do an end around to take the ports, fight it out by siege with Oslo risking the dreaded cease orders from the Pope, or simply accept war and wait for Norway to attack again? Or are there options I do not know to consider?

Default Re: Made a mess with play as Denmark on SS 6.4

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Messing around and still learning -- with SS 6.4.

The latest confusion had to do with a play in a short campaign in the early period with Denmark. About 30 turns in I canceled the alliance and trade treaties with Norway. On Norway's turn, they either attacked or bumped into my stack heading towards Oslo. Just a skirmish, but when my turn resumed my Papal rating had plunged 4 of the 10 points while Norway was now at the top of the Papal ratings. What??? Now I know there are several things going on here, but how much of a hit did I get from the cancelation of the Alliance?

Oh, and the Norwegian big stack redeployed back to Oslo which made the plan unworkable in any case. So much for the Danish plan of their Pearl Harbor 'sneak attack' on Oslo. Now I have a war with naval superiority, an inferior Papal rating, an opponent with better castle troops, but probably an advantage with income and catapults. How should I proceed? Do an end around to take the ports, fight it out by siege with Oslo risking the dreaded cease orders from the Pope, or simply accept war and wait for Norway to attack again? Or are there options I do not know to consider?
    I don't play stainless steel but I have heard many good things about but I also know it's buggy. Pixelated Apollo and LegendofTotalWar are two of my favorite youtubers and Pixelated had a video of his scotland campaign and when he attacked London in his video he could siege the city but not attack it. He had to simply wait while the british just built up there forces for a final last stand at London. After seeing that I realized the mod was full of bugs and your pope issue could easily be one said bug.

I'm not sure if I can be of help but I will try. The pope is tricky. He may excommunicate you but if it's your first warning he may just let it go and give you a second chance. He has done this with me on vanilla. It helps if you have a higher rating with him but in this case he seems to be in love with Norway so that may not work. You can either back off and make the pope happy or do what Legend would do and just say screw it. If you do what the pope tells you to do you will not get very far in the game. Eventually I always attack the pope and deal with the 20% religious unrest in my regions. I like to wait untill mid game but that is just me. If you follow the pope then you will be seating on the bench or sidelines waiting for Norway to constantly attack you untill they get excommunicated. That is if they attack. If they don't then your stuck. Norway started the war so I say screw them and forget the pope. Just keep your people happy and keep winning and you should do fine. Just know your reputation with other christian factions may suffer if you fight Norway.

Ships are expensive so if you have them I say use them. Blitz Norway and wipe them out before they get any stronger, Check out Legend's youtube video on his top 5 game moments. He beat a full stacked army on M2TW with just a general and one single unit so anything is possible and the AI play bad anyways. When i'm not sure what to do I watch Legend or Pixel to see hot they play and it helps me learn new stuff on and off the battlefield.

I don't usually play as the Danes and I have never played SS short campaigns so i'm sorry if I can't be of more help or if you already knew everything I said. Maybe someone with more knowledge can better help you.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

please when using a mod or submod use the mods/submod own thread or forum
    in this case here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...tainless-Steel
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; September 20, 2017 at 03:36 AM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Thread moved to the Stainless Steel subforum.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

NorseThing,

It would appear that your army was on their land and after you ceased an Alliance & Trade Rights. That is an aggressive action that resulted in AI Norway attacking you. To inrease your papal favour, you should:

1. Pay the Pope, giving him a regular tribute, he likes money, this will increase his liking of you.
    2. Do not attack Norway on their land, bate them, build a fort close the border, let them attack and the Pope will change his mind.
    3. Leave your ports unguarded let Norway blockade.

There is a danger in that HRE will take the opportunity of attacking as well, get an Alliance

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    NorseThing,

It would appear that your army was on their land and after you ceased an Alliance & Trade Rights. That is an aggressive action that resulted in AI Norway attacking you. To inrease your papal favour, you should:

1. Pay the Pope, giving him a regular tribute, he likes money, this will increase his liking of you.
    I know this from vanilla but it does seem to take more gold. I have been using 200 per turn for some number of turns. The problem is that unlike vanilla there is a scarcity of diplomats early in the game (1 if recruited plus any stray unmarried princess) I still am having surprises with the area recruiting thing as well.
    2. Do not attack Norway on their land, bate them, build a fort close the border, let them attack and the Pope will change his mind.
    I took your suggestion and tried this. It works well. Thanks. However it seems a bit of an exploit. A bit like waving a bit of tuna in front of the family cat.
    3. Leave your ports unguarded let Norway blockade.

There is a danger in that HRE will take the opportunity of attacking as well, get an Alliance
    As to the port ploy, it seems to work to attract port blockades, but does this affect 'my' papal rating or does it simply lower Norway's?

I am also allied with the HRE and that seems to be holding with they are at war with Poland. I will get it in the tank if the status changes though. No means to defend my empire of cities with only the Kalmar wooden castle for the military troops. Yeah I know this is not supposed to be easy. That is why I had hoped to do the Pearl Harbor thing against Oslo. I do not see a value in the mercenaries to be recruited unless it is very short term either. I did have another skirmish with Norway -- this time on my soil and they were the attackers. Ballista are good (without the flames for accuracy reasons) with a few city militia to cover the front. Eventually the men had to leave the ballista units and got a bit torn up in the melee. This hurts the Norwegian papal rating so I guess it helps in some sort of relative way as we both are now approaching large loses of rating with the Pope.

Thanks again for the advice.