Thread: Always crashing on end turn on specific AI faction.

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Default Always crashing on end turn on specific AI faction.

Hi, I tried to make the title as self explanatory as possible, but something tells me is not very good. Anyways I'll explain better here.
    I'm having a rather "situational" issue whenever I use the mod, I hit End Turn and it'll always crash when the overlay shows the turn of a specific faction (Defectores Romani Occidentalis) no matter what, it'll always crash there. It's always that faction, I remember happening to other playtrhoughs too, it's rather annoying at this point, and they as a faction don't even show up in the Diplomacy screen. I say it's situational because I'm using some other mods on top and I presume some are "incompatible" with EP. By incompatible I mean they tweak some of the same aspects EP does.
    To my eyes, it doesn't make really much sense to crash on that specific faction only, when all the others are just fine. None of the mods do something crazy either, some of them I downloaded, some I created myself, they're tweaks basically. I can however, fix the issue temporarily by moving EP on top of everything else in the Mod Manager.
    Assuming you want to know what those other mods do:
    Tweak army stances. Get rid of the "local traditions" debuff for state religion. Get rid of the "fractured faiths" debuff for Eastern cultures. Various tweaks on unit stats (ammo for skirmishers, charge bonus). And lastly modify some technologies for unit upgrades.

Anyways, what I want to know is if there's a way I can "delete" that troublesome faction (Defectores Romani Occidentalis) from my own EP download, it's the easy way I see to fix the issue, assuming of course it'd be that easy to fix.

Also, another thing while we're at it. There're waaaaaay too many roman rebel factions, the "Rebelles Romani" all share the same faction icon. This faction clones itself like 2 dozen times having several 1-2 stack armies across pretty much half the campaign map, some of them are neutral towards the player, some are hostile. Is this a normal thing?

Default Re: Always crashing on end turn on specific AI faction.

I would imagine it's the other mods you have installed that are causing this issue, but I'm not really sure. When there's a crash on a specific faction's turn like this, it often means that faction has decided to take an action that conflicts with something about one or more of the mods, so the game crashes. My guess is the one about army stances, but again I can't be sure. There isn't really an easy way to delete the faction. You'd have to mess around in the startpos, and anyway you're not fixing the core problem by deleting the faction. The faction isn't the problem - something else is causing the crash (probably one of the other mods you have installed).

The Roman rebel factions are a weird thing from vanilla, not exclusive to this mod. There are two Eastern Roman rebel factions, and two Western ones. They're separate factions. It's basically a normal thing - these factions are created when rebellions occur in a region where the "regional" Roman separatist factions already exist. I thought I differentiated the names enough, but it could be that some factions are left with the same name.

Yeah, I'm sure some of those mods is causing the issue, it's puzzling that it only happens to that specific faction every single time though, but in a way I suppose that's good so I only have to worry about that faction. I decided to play it safe as I did before, so I created a doomstack went to their lands and exterminated the faction altogether, problem is fixed. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

The Rebel "clone" factions divide themselves in two: Rebelles Romani something something eastern, and Rebelles Romani something something western (I'm not very good at Latin), they both share the same faction icon. They're all the way up from Brittania to Iberia, and Greece when you advance in the campaign, it varies from playthrough to playthrough, but it always seems like they're quite predominant in the campaign. It almost seems like some of those are rebellions of already existing rebellions, which in vanilla didn't happen if I remember correctly. The rebel factions themselves were immune to rebellions.
    You could be right and it could be indeed a vanilla thing, I haven't played vanilla Attila since 2015.

It happened in vanilla. Rebel factions were not immune to rebellions. EP doesn't change that. There's a lot of random chance in campaigns as far as which rebel factions pop up or don't. Sometimes the main Roman factions even stick around with most of their territory for quite a while.

I hope CA reworks rebellions for future titles. The fact that a super elite army can spawn outside a settlement because the population is not happy never made sense to me.

Anyways, nothing to do with the mod, but as a random commentary. Apparently, if you delete technologies that upgrade General units, that allows you to get the "select bodyguard unit panel" each time you rise an army, that was an interesting finding. Not delete the technologies themselves, just the entries for upgrading units. The panel is rather simplistic unlike the one in Rome II, and a bit bugged visually speaking, but it is functional.
    I know that people in the past tried to create mods that allowed you to select which bodyguard unit will accompany the general, but I think nobody tried this method. I've found it by mistake actually.

I think FotE might have the "select bodyguard" option, for some factions anyway. Maybe some other mods have added that too. No real reason to add it to EP, since we haven't changed or added any units.

Oh, I didn't mean it as a feature request, just as a random commentary. Interesting about FoTE, don't remember it, I stop using the mod unfortunately for a number of reasons quite some time ago.

Exactly the same here! I'm currently using this mods, in a correct order I think that it's not shown on he profile.scripts notepad:

@Fall_of_the_Eagles_0
    @Fall_of_the_Eagles_1_Textures
    _Europa_Perdita
    1kjl_priestess
    berengar_ragnar_hero
    betterdeployable@
    no_unit_upgrades
    olympian-battle_camera_mod
    seb_cav_standard_bearers
    seb_unlimited_governors2
    @@@return_to_glory_attila
    bansheefinal
    new_guard_mode
    noif_attila_pikes_ready_in_your_hands
    !@all_use_whip_available_ships_only_vanilla_n4r
    !@aoc_more_raider_units_vanilla_n4r
    !@aoc_shield_wall_naval_units_vanilla_n4r
    !@aoc_tdiversified_mercenaries_vanilla_n4r
    !@aoc_units_ui_tab_reorganized_vanilla_n4r
    !@aoc_vcup_stats_and_bugs_fixed_vanilla_n4r-utweaks
    !@aoc_vcup_stats_and_bugs_fixed_vanilla_n4r-vcore
    @@unit_pack_aoc
    aztec_2015_graphics
    champloo_unit_mod
    flammable_siege_engines
    vassal_recruitment
    stronger_fortifications
    weaker_towers
    __fresh_water
    ammo_refill_ammo
    prometheusfactiontraits
    @blood_mod
    eggmond_borndaughters_re
    kakes_hero_attila_mod
    pop
    1sebidee_charlemagne_expanded
    voices_of_rome
    moon_proto_knights
    moon_unique_units_expansion
    moon_byzantines_complete_2.0
    trade-route-doubled
    @@@ai_will_colonize
    !@gc_units_ui_tab_reorganized_vanilla_n4r
    moon_aoc_enhanced
    @trait_overhaul_rpg

It is a thing of the mod itself on some of those? :S

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H3...8LYZblp2tN1mju This is the save file just before the crash

Quote Originally Posted by alevort View Post
    It is a thing of the mod itself on some of those?
    Oh, man, i have already answered you on Steam - you added lot of trash mods in one and you ask why game crashes? Adding mods is not just "hey, lets add all i get on mind" - read comments for mods, check their compatibility and so on.

If you aren't sure what you are doing add only one overhaul mod and look for only compatible submods like EP + FotE (well, they are not pretty fully compatible, but working at least). And use newest versions of the mods taken from Steam, not from TWC.