Thread: Beastmen needs help.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Beastmen needs help.

Ok, I just recently got myself the DLC and now playing the Beastmen mini campaign. Playing slow as usual, I usually keep just one stack which by the time I defeated the first 2 factions, the campaign was really a breeze.

But once I defeated the Cult of Ulrich, Middenheim and the other factions always DOW and attack me which few stacks where even if I can defeat them, it'll always with many losses which I dont even have time to recuperate when they send and send ither stacks again.

In couple of campaign I found I got nowhere else to run.

Would love to hear about any other tactics playing beastmen, beat army composition in early, mid late and end game (havent reach end game yet, restartes few time past mud game) and any effect of giving/not giving money which AI always ask you few times, the AI which will DoW on you right after you defeat a faction?

Any tips?

Playing in VH currently (just want that Steam achivevement).
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Beastmen needs help.

Your late game army could be 4-6 minotaurs, 4 Cygors, a chariot or two, Gorebull hero, caster hero, and the rest infantry.

The Gorebull is great - I like both the melee attack and armor auras (you have to choose one). The armor aura can be very helpful because of your infantry are not well armored.

I love Cygors - they do a great amount of damage from range to infantry blobs and they can also do well in melee engagements (they tank pretty well against 1-2 infantry units). Cygors are also fantastically great in siege engagements because they can knock down towers and walls, and then when they charge in they can still contribute to the melee fight. When you get like four of them and can hit an army from range as it approaches, you will do a great amount of damage, so your main army will not have to fight as many men. It is very helpful. They are great for chasing off routing trips too at range.

Your infantry will die a lot. They are basically there to pin the enemy army so you can hit them from behind and kill their back lines with artillery. Four or more Bestigor Herd can be helpful especially if you are fighting a lot of siege battles (which you generally do as Beastmen).

A chariot or two, giant, etc. can be other helpful additions to your army.

On the campaign map, you can play a hit-and-run game sacking/razing minor cities with your main stack until you get a Goreherd, at which point you want to find the enemy's stacks and attack them or siege a city.

When besieging a city, you can send in your heroes with a Goreherd and basically sacrifice it to take the settlement. Your main army can then just mop up and take very little damage. You need to play the battle for this strategy to work. Beastmen can take walled settlements very easily in late game. Your heroes and monsters can rush the gate.

I play with a tower nerf mod. I don't like the towers being able to hit to the edge of the map.

I like the lore of beast magic and lore of death for the leadership debuffs. Any magic or items you can bring that cause terror or debuff the enemy's leadership can be very helpful, as these will make their army flee/break earlier.

I generally don't bother with Beastmen cavalry except maybe in a secondary army. They are far surpassed by minotaurs.

I don't remember for the mini-campaign, but Khazrak One Eye is a great lord. You will want to get a lot of the red army skills, which is especially useful for buffing up your infantry. And the blue skill line is very helpful too (should be obvious which skills).

Sorry, that's a pretty random set of thoughts. Hope it helps.