Thread: How to change Character names

Civis

Default How to change Character names

Hi everyone,

How can I change charcater names on the campagne map?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: How to change Character names

There is a few different ways to go about doing this depending on your needs.

Lets say you want a very specific change like ODA NOBUHIDE to change to ODA NOBUNAGA, then I would go to names.loc (under db/text or something like that) and find the entry for NOBUHIDE and change it to NOBUNAGA.

Another example of something you may encounter is changing a specific character name to something that already exists.
    So lets say changing ODA NOBUHIDE to SHIMAZU NOBUHIDE.
    I would then instead navigate to this character (oda nobuhide) under the startpos.esf. Follow the path till you find the oda faction, and get into the character arrays. Then find the details pertaining to this name. You will find the name entry for ODA as something likes names_name_oda and change that to names_name_shimazu then save the file.

If you are trying to do something much more indepth like change all japanese names to english names and do an entire mod conversion to medieval times then obviously there is a much different approach i will not get into.

(this was done off the top of my head and exact file locs/format may be slightly different) Good luck and hope this helps.