Thread: Unit Mod Questions

Default Unit Mod Questions

Hi all,

Hoping for some help!

1. I am creating packs that reflect all the units that would have been available to Britain in Europe during 1805 to 1816, with the correct number of battalions, batteries, ships & squadrons, and their geographic recruiting location. Since each unit would be individually named, how do I turn off the additional naming that NTW puts underneath the unit title?

2. I'm struggling with getting some of the icon & info pics to be recognised. Some are, some aren't and for the life of me, I can't see why. Sometimes 'placeholder' works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to be worse when doing ships. Any ideas how to get the [units_tables/units] file to be consistent? They are all .tga, of the correct size.

3. Since the NTW Ironclad is historically spurious, having only vague similarity with the French Magenta Class Ironclads, I feel no guilt in creating the seven British 'Bulwark Class' armoured Frigates!! I've remade the guns to behave like the 7", 8" & 9" rifled muzzle loaders of that period. What I am wondering is whether anyone has ever seen textures and models for a single deck Ironclad that I can study? The ironclads from 1858 - 1870 all had about 20- 30 guns, nearly all in a single deck, not the default 80 in the NTW ironclad. So I'm asking if anyone has ever made something like maybe the Gloire which was shorter, or Warrior which was longer? Very happy to give credit when I finish the pack.

Many thanks,

Default Re: Unit Mod Questions

Ships cannot be modded aside from the textures. For that you'd have to use Shogun 2 instead, where they have opened the ship's format for modding.
    I dont know about random naming for your battalions, but I certainly can tell you that you need to use the NTW's naming convention when it comes to unit cards. To have them recognised, you need to rename all of them based off of the uniforms that your units use, adding _icon at the end. Go into "uniforms_tables > uniforms" and look at the filename column, then proceed accordingly. The placeholder image is just a legacy icon from ETW when the icons were selected based on the "units" table.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Thanks for this Sirlion. I thought that was case f icon / info .tga files, but how does that work with custom named ships?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

The placeholder columns in the "unit card naval" and "shop type" columns of the unit table are not used for land units, as Sirlion explained, but they are used by the ships.